Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Edmonton woman sues Air Canada over ‘scalding’ water spill

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edmonton woman sues Air Canada over ‘scalding’ water spill

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by Stranger
The passenger business is with the airline. She would have no status suing another passenger. That would be for AC to pursue.

(Not that I support the silliness.)
So if I'm in a coffee shop, and the person sitting at the next table pushes their chair out, hits my table, and knocks my hot coffee all over me causing 2nd degree burns. I'm supposed to sue the coffee shop because my business is with the coffee shop?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Couple of points not in the original article.

The incident happened two years ago almost to the day of serving AC. In AB, new rules of court say the injured pax must make a substantive step forward once every two years. THe pax basically had to decide whether to sue AC or drop the matter all together.

In suing AC the pax will now go into arbitration where the two sides will try and work things out. The pax has sued for everything under the sun just to see what will stick with the arbritator. A lot of the case is likely to be thrown out in the early arbitration stage.

This will not be a McDonald's coffee type case.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by trooper
Just what temp is possible onboard?
There is a BBC show on a D Check of a BA 744 (available on Youtube) and the max temp for the tea and coffee makers is 82C.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: Free Agent
what ever happened to the polite Canadians who used to apologize that their leg was in the way when the bev was spilt??
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's what made the difference in the McDonald's case many years ago. The coffee was at a temperature that would have been unsafe to consume.

I'm not sure about in this case. Either way, I'm always nervous on flights. So many times I've had a laptop out, and they offer me a drink, and pour from a can into a wide topped cup. I usually just ask for the can to minimize possible spills. Tea is obviously a different situation, but I'm never confident enough to drink something like that on an airplane.
Before we pull up the McDonalds case, that lady received 3rd degree burns and required skin grafts on her thighs.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
And you forgot, rude FA
you all forgot...... eUPGRADES/Aerolotto! Ever felt your heart pouncing and worrying on whether you can get the eUpgrade? Did you just missed 2-4-7 days of productive work because of that?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
There is a BBC show on a D Check of a BA 744 (available on Youtube) and the max temp for the tea and coffee makers is 82C.
82℃ is roughly equivalent to 92℃ in un-pressurized cabin.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arcticbull
Before we pull up the McDonalds case, that lady received 3rd degree burns and required skin grafts on her thighs.
Yes. My point there was that the case was not won because she was injured, it was won because the McDonald's coffee had absolutely no reason to be at that temperature when it was given to the customer. If she had ingested it rather than spilling it, she would have had third degree burns on her mouth and throat.

In this case, it could again depend on what temperature the water was when it was served. If it was above 80 degrees, AC is probably going to be liable because that's unsafe for consumption. I believe the "optimal" temperature for a hot drink is around 60.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by slashd0t
FA puts hot cup on tray ... Smart person would put hand on cup to ensure hot water does not spill all over themselves..

At what point in life do people take responsibility for themselves? I hate people sometimes..
Not just sometimes! The world is full of self-entitled morons like the one in this story.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
So if I'm in a coffee shop, and the person sitting at the next table pushes their chair out, hits my table, and knocks my hot coffee all over me causing 2nd degree burns. I'm supposed to sue the coffee shop because my business is with the coffee shop?
Yes. A coffee shop should not be heating their coffee to the point where you can get 2nd degree burns all over you if a drink is spilled. It would be negligent for them to provide the product to the consumer.

Coffee / water for tea is expected to be hot but a person would reasonably expect a small 1st degree burn and a wet lap as a consequence of a spill.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
The whole point of a writ is to name anyone and everyone that you potentially could get monies from. This is just another example of someone trying to sue the "faceless" corporation to make a quick buck. If only people put so much effort into meaningful pursuits, this would be a much better planet!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by sp4294
The whole point of a writ is to name anyone and everyone that you potentially could get monies from. This is just another example of someone trying to sue the "faceless" corporation to make a quick buck. If only people put so much effort into meaningful pursuits, this would be a much better planet!
Maybe a little compassion wouldn't hurt the planet either. If the lady was injured as the suit claims, which should be fairly easily proved with medical records and/or testimony, this wouldn't be as frivilous a lawsuit as some here maybe imagining. The article does note:

The suit claims that Halabi, now 35, suffered second-degree burns across her lap and down to her knees.

Of course if the case is wholly without merit it will be summarily tossed and that'll be that.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YEG Guy
Couple of points not in the original article.

The incident happened two years ago almost to the day of serving AC. In AB, new rules of court say the injured pax must make a substantive step forward once every two years. THe pax basically had to decide whether to sue AC or drop the matter all together.

In suing AC the pax will now go into arbitration where the two sides will try and work things out. The pax has sued for everything under the sun just to see what will stick with the arbritator. A lot of the case is likely to be thrown out in the early arbitration stage.

This will not be a McDonald's coffee type case.
Exactly my thoughts when reading the article.. That a statement of claim needs to be filed within the 2 year limitation period. How convenient that the claimant met the deadline.

Suing from Canada, you would not get the punitive damages that you would receive in US court. I wouldn't be surprised if the claimant is stretching the details just a bit.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Maybe a little compassion wouldn't hurt the planet either. If the lady was injured as the suit claims, which should be fairly easily proved with medical records and/or testimony, this wouldn't be as frivilous a lawsuit as some here maybe imagining. The article does note:

The suit claims that Halabi, now 35, suffered second-degree burns across her lap and down to her knees.

Of course if the case is wholly without merit it will be summarily tossed and that'll be that.
Oh please... [I]"In the past two years, the injury has caused blisters, scars, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety and panic attacks. She has had extensive medical treatment that will continue in the future, the lawsuit says.

Halabi’s job as a massage therapist has been adversely affected, and thus, the amount of income she may earn in the future.

“Each aspect of her personal, professional, recreational and social life has been adversely affected,” the claim reads.
[/I]
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by sp4294
"In the past two years, the injury has caused blisters, scars (...)"
OK, we'll limit things to the physical harm only.

Good enough for you ? Does the lady now have your approval to continue with her claim ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.