Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to this, please help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:40 am
Original Poster

New to this, please help

My family has enough points to go from the east coast of canada, yyz or yhz to spain, BCN then on to London, LHR, then home from LHR. Are there any tricks or potholes I should be aware of. I will be calling aeroplan in 2 weeks since we have to coordinate 3 account to all get on the same flights. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:25 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Some advice:

Start hunting early - seats are available almost a year in advance, and finding seats on short notice is VERY hard to do, especially when it's for three people.

Consider different routings -- BCN first, LHR first, that sort of thing -- because that might help your search.

Look at booking through the US, to save fuel surcharges. On many destinations, the surcharge is so high that just buying regular tickets becomes more attractive again. United charges no fuel surcharges on reward tickets, presently, so they're a good one to watch for.

Sign up for the ANA frequent flyer program, because their website search engine shows more options than the Aeroplan website. It's tricky to learn so be patient, but it's worth it for complex itineraries.

You only pay the booking fee when you book, so calling Aeroplan to ask a question or ask them to check availability is free. However, it takes a long time and frustrates the agent, so any work you can do on your own will make you and them happier and nicer.

Good luck!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:29 am
alc

Originally Posted by peanutgirl
My family has enough points to go from the east coast of canada, yyz or yhz to spain, BCN then on to London, LHR, then home from LHR. Are there any tricks or potholes I should be aware of. I will be calling aeroplan in 2 weeks since we have to coordinate 3 account to all get on the same flights. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Just to confirmed that I understood correctly, here are your routing:

YYZ (or YHZ) --> BCH
(stop)
BCH --> LHR
(stop)
LHR --> YYZ (or YHZ)

If the above is correct, you can start your research on AEROPLAN web site now by select the "Multi-City" option, just make sure you select the 3 PAX so it will show you the correct reward inventory.

If you want to save the money on the phone agent booking fee, you can do it yourself with either 3 different laptop or just 3 different brower from a single laptop. For example, I use IE + Chrome to book 2 reward tickets for my in-laws at the exact same time - click button 1 here and click button 1 there. There is still a room for seat end up not available as other might just got that seat 0.01 sec before you do.

In regards to any tricks or potholes, I think others will provide you much more than me. My only comment will be if you want to save the YQ fee, you will need go thru the States.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by peanutgirl
Are there any tricks or potholes I should be aware of. I will be calling aeroplan in 2 weeks since we have to coordinate 3 account to all get on the same flights. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
One pothole to steer around with separate passengers on separate award files issued on separate AP accounts is to ensure you match up seating so there aren't problems later as a recent poster encountered on this thread.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Don't forget there is also twice weekly YUL (Montreal) - BCN (Barcelona) service offering J/Class when doing your search.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by tcook052
One pothole to steer around with separate passengers on separate award files issued on separate AP accounts is to ensure you match up seating so there aren't problems later as a recent poster encountered on this thread.
+1. Anytime you put a travel party to different PNRs, you need to take very active management on each ticket and seat assignments, on each segment. Don't assume things will go right on their own - they won't. Verify things with each operating carrier, and double check at least once before departure.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
Try to avoid Air Canada

Because of the huge AC ripoff on fuel surcharges and fees try and use some of US partners or European partners

TAP flies thru Lisbon
US Air out of Phl clt
United out of IAd
Lufthansa out of everywhere east coast
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by mboca28
Because of the huge AC ripoff on fuel surcharges and fees try and use some of US partners or European partners

TAP flies thru Lisbon
US Air out of Phl clt
United out of IAd
Lufthansa out of everywhere east coast
Not sure about TAP, but if you fly Lufthansa you will stay pay rip off charges. Swiss (LX) from Montreal to Zurich will avoid the charges.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I realized I wrote the original wrong. Want yhz or ysj to BCN then BCN to LHR then home to YHZ orYSJ. Thanks for advice though.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Those fuel charges do add up.

I booked something similar (YYZ-FCO-LHR-YYZ) and I believe the fuel surcharges and such cost approximately $1000/pp, so using other carriers is something I'd now know what to look for next time.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by c_9
Some advice:

Sign up for the ANA frequent flyer program, because their website search engine shows more options than the Aeroplan website. It's tricky to learn so be patient, but it's worth it for complex itineraries.
So ANA shows the Aeroplan availability options ??
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: AC E, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
So ANA shows the Aeroplan availability options ??
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/06/how-...-availability/

Note that Aeroplan website often does not correctly show all available options.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Tigersan
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/06/how-...-availability/

Note that Aeroplan website often does not correctly show all available options.
Thanks

But if the Aeroplan does not have the flight ANA shows available, then how to book the flight on AP?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:07 am

Programs: AC E, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Thanks

But if the Aeroplan does not have the flight ANA shows available, then how to book the flight on AP?
Call them and start playing the AP Agent roulette.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Tigersan
Call them and start playing the AP Agent roulette.
Thanks again, will do that for my next trip to Europe from YYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.