Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Rules in J on LH-AC

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Baggage Rules in J on LH-AC

Ms DavidYYC has been traveling in europe on an award ticket in J. Her return leg was ZRH-FRA (on LH metal)-YYC on AC. She is travelling with 3 checked pieces of luggage. (normally does not travel with so much checked bags I assure you but on this occasion had to bring some personal stuff back from UK).

She is AC Prestige (for what thats worth),the AC website says that in J, Prestige is allowed 3 bags, on AC.

For the LH leg ZRH-FRA the Lufthansa website says that she is only allowed 2 bags in J because she is Star Alliance Silver, except if this rule is applied:

"MSC (Most Significant Carrier) rule effective since 1 April 2011
Effective since 1 April 2011: if the geographically longest or most significant stretch of your journey is not operated by Lufthansa, but by another airline, this airline’s rules may also apply to Lufthansa flights or Lufthansa flight numbers."

So, does that mean she should have been allowed to check in three bags at ZRH. The CSR steadfastly refused and wanted to charge a whopping 150 Euros for that extra bag.

If the flight had originated in FRA this would NOT have been an issue, I am sure.

What could/should she have done? Am I misinterpreting the rules here somehow?
Old May 10, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

It was like she was the only AC Prestige, flying in J on LH then AC with three bags.
Anyone familiar with these rules?
Old May 10, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Iīm pretty sure your interpretation of the rules are correct assuming all segments were on one ticket.

The MSC rule states that the baggage rules of the carrier which operates the first intercontinental segment apply, i.e. in your case ACīs rules.

One potential problem may be that Prestige equals *S, and *S members usually donīt get three pieces of free checked baggage. Itīs an AC specific rule only valid on AC operated flights, I have no idea whether LH has access to the rules, so bringing a printout would likely be useful.
Old May 10, 2012, 5:34 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by DavidYYC
What could/should she have done? Am I misinterpreting the rules here somehow?
Strictly speaking, the additional allowance for Prestige members only applies to AC's own flights and is not 'interlinable' to other airlines by way of the IATA Resolution 302/MSC rules, as it does not form a part of AC's [formal] baggage allowance rules (which are contained in its Tariffs).

She could, however, had requested for the 3rd piece of baggage to be checked to FRA only (paying the applicable LH short-hall baggage fees), where she would have been able to take advantage of the Prestige extra piece concession for the AC-operated TATL flight.

Last edited by KVS; May 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm
Old May 10, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

This is the problem with airlines and their convoluted rules and allowances. We are considered Frequent Flyers, I get a lot of info from this forum and others, and from experience, no wonder the general public have difficulties.

We are told one thing, and it is inertpreted another way. Who would have ever thought that this would have applied.....

not 'interlinable' to other airlines by way of the IATA Resolution 302/MSC rules, as it does not form a part of AC's [formal] baggage allowance rules (which are contained in its Tariffs).

If either of us had any vague notion that there would be a hassle with the extra bag there is NO way she would have even attempted to try and check a third bag. Its embarrassing awkward and adds to one frustrations.

I think from this point onwards its the train for us when travelling within Europe. Relaxing, no security line ups, and no issues with bags etc.

Last edited by DavidYYC; May 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.