Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Secure Flight: AC vs UA information required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM

I have just purchased a UA ticket on united.ca to be able to get E+ seats (at a price of course). In doing so, the Secure Flight information required is just name and DOB, nothing else (Passport #, address in US) - nada.

This is so different from AC, that I called in to US web support, and they confirmed this was correct. I have actually taken screenshots for the record I am so gobsmacked. What gives? Why does AC require more information?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC 75K
AC is collecting information for two seperate programs: Secure Flight and APIS

Secure Flight requires Name, DOB, Gender
APIS requires Passport info, destination address.

For the latter, you don't have to provide this to AC beforehand, but you will have to provide it at check in. It makes it easier and faster if you provide it before checkin.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

For the latter, you don't have to provide this to AC beforehand, but you will have to provide it at check in. It makes it easier and faster if you provide it before checkin.
Thanks much!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA only collects APIS info. on check in, which is why you can't provide the passport number there. Supposedly UA is now allowing you to save your passport info. to your profile to make it faster to check in online, etc. But i haven't figured out how to do that....or if I want to.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

APIS information actually requires Name, DOB, Gender, Passport Info, and Destination Address (for non-US citizens/green card holders going to the US), while SecureFlight only requires Name, DOB, and Gender.

For airlines that do not have domestic flights within the US (eg. AC, BA, CX, SQ etc.), and all their flights involving the US involve crossing an international border, the APIS information collected also serves as the SecureFlight information.

By default, airlines that have lots of US domestic flights (eg. UA), will only collect SecureFlight data. Only when flights cross an international border will they request additional information (passport data, destination address details) - usually at the Online Check-In stage.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA only collects APIS info. on check in, which is why you can't provide the passport number there. Supposedly UA is now allowing you to save your passport info. to your profile to make it faster to check in online, etc. But i haven't figured out how to do that....or if I want to.
When you enter the info for the first time on the UA website, there is a place to check and save that info. I believe (but someone correct me if need be) that you have to have a UA frequent flyer account do this, as that's where the info gets stored and gets tied to your account number. If you belong to another Star Alliance plan and credit all your UA miles to that account, I don't believe storing your secure data is an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.