Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best AC Duty Free values?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by a78jumper
JW Blue is $179 a 750 ml bottle here in Alberta in the Real Canadian Liquorstore, so the LCBO and the Ontario government are obviously making some $$$$.
With 4.1 billion revenue and projected even higher revenues for the 09 fiscal year, I would not doubt that for a moment.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by phedre
The LCBO is OBSCENELY overpriced when it comes to scotch. The first time I saw the price on a bottle of Lagavulin 16yo I just about swallowed my tongue, and thanked my lucky stars that I still had most of a bottle in my liquor cabinet. I paid $70 for it at the SAQ a few years aago - it's now up to $100 at the SAQ and $125 at the LCBO.
Some things (like wine) are reasonably priced at LCBO, but single-malt is generally not one of them. As a result, nost of my scotch comes from duty-free purchases.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Fairmont
AC duty free prices

I just wanted to shed some light on the prices in this thread. As a former manager of a Canadian Duty Free Store, I can tell you that JW Blue was the lowest margin bottle of liquor in the store. $204 is a fair price to pay in DF. I would be VERY VERY surprised to see it at Superstore for $179, but crazier things have happened! IF you see it at that price buy it

The OP also noted that AC was offering a 1l bottle of JW Blue. To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing. It is only offered in two sizes in Canada, 750ml and 1.75l. I suspect that this is just a typo as every other JW product namely Red,Black and Green are available in the 1l in the DF channel.

The only other good deal on the AC website I saw was for the Patron Silver Tequila @ $46.

Enjoy your JW Blue
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by funinthesun
I just wanted to shed some light on the prices in this thread. As a former manager of a Canadian Duty Free Store, I can tell you that JW Blue was the lowest margin bottle of liquor in the store. $204 is a fair price to pay in DF. I would be VERY VERY surprised to see it at Superstore for $179, but crazier things have happened! IF you see it at that price buy it

The OP also noted that AC was offering a 1l bottle of JW Blue. To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing. It is only offered in two sizes in Canada, 750ml and 1.75l. I suspect that this is just a typo as every other JW product namely Red,Black and Green are available in the 1l in the DF channel.

The only other good deal on the AC website I saw was for the Patron Silver Tequila @ $46.

Enjoy your JW Blue
The JW-Blue offered on board is definitely 1.0 litre.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: AE
The Duty Free Boutique shows 750ml size.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by CPYVR
The Duty Free Boutique shows 750ml size.
That is for the elite box set containing 2 glasses - IIRC that is available on pre-order. Page 4 (Liquor) shows the 1.0 litre size @ $208.00 which is carried on board.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
bumping this thread...

anything that's worth purchasing on AC? I have a RT coming up on AC J, I think I'm supposed to get a 15% coupon or something
Old May 8, 2015, 7:18 am

Texas Mickey Sized JW Blue...

I picked up an almost 3L sized bottle of JW Blue in Taipei. It came in a nice leather(ish) box and they also threw in a roll aboard for me to put it in and lug it around. I believe I got that for 350USD.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
As a general rule. the only things worth buying in duty free are smokes and booze. everything else is mostly cheaper outside. esp in you're in north america.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by karachi
As a general rule. the only things worth buying in duty free are smokes and booze. everything else is mostly cheaper outside. esp in you're in north america.
Agreed. And one can never have too many bottles of Crown Royal that have *not* been purchased at the SAQ
Old May 8, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beepyou
bumping this thread...

anything that's worth purchasing on AC? I have a RT coming up on AC J, I think I'm supposed to get a 15% coupon or something
If you can buy 2 bottles, you get 20% off for preorder only. That would mean that you would get 2 bottles of JW Black for CAD $72 instead of CAD $90. There is a list on this site.
http://acdutyfree.com//index.php?cPa...sort=1a&page=2
Old May 8, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
bump from 2010??? I KNEW those #'s for JWB were way off, I paid $200US in BGI DF last Jan. LCBO current price is a cool $299. I got it for my dad's lady friend in lieu of cat boarding. She did save 1/3 of the bottle which she shared with us a few months back... it's good...real good. Not sure if it's a good as the 25yr Macallan I bought 15 years ago, and stashed away. For what I'm not sure.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I found JWB to be meh... I'd rather have a 10-year old Talisker or a 15-year Glenmorangie.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
bump from 2010???.
Yeah, that made me go as well. Whatever any of you do when it comes to maximizing your value, just don't forget that most of you have the $30 off coupon and 750 AE miles cert to use. If anyone wants mine, just PM me and i'll mail it to you.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Value???? Pre-order prices are $279! But you get 2 glasses as well!

There is even a cask strength 55.7% for $333. Not really surprised, AC and GTAA prices are so out to lunch as not to bother. Just hang in the MLL or Amex lounge then straight to boarding.

Personally I'm not drinking much booze at the moment but usually I love a good rum. El Dorado 15 is good without breaking the bank.

Last edited by Braindrain; May 8, 2015 at 9:45 pm Reason: Edited for language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.