Wiki Posts
Search

Dealing with Seat Swappers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE
Dealing with Seat Swappers

So this poll came out from Trip Advisor the other day - Seat Mate from Hell (Link). One of the selection is the notorious "seat swapper" which I've encountered plenty of time. This is where the middle seater next to me asks me to trade seats with their back of the plane, middle seater companion. What do most folks do when put in such an awkward spot? There is no way I want the middle seat nor having to deal with a disgruntled person next to be because I won't let them sit with their companion (I always find it odd that they seldomly ask if the aisle seater at the back is okay moving up to the front middle). Christmas season seems to be the worse with seat swappers trolling the plane to move up. One dude on my GF's flight tried 3 times to swipe seats near the front til he was ordered to sit in his original seat...
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by yodayoda
So this poll came out from Trip Advisor the other day - Seat Mate from Hell (Link). One of the selection is the notorious "seat swapper" which I've encountered plenty of time. This is where the middle seater next to me asks me to trade seats with their back of the plane, middle seater companion. What do most folks do when put in such an awkward spot? There is no way I want the middle seat nor having to deal with a disgruntled person next to be because I won't let them sit with their companion (I always find it odd that they seldomly ask if the aisle seater at the back is okay moving up to the front middle). Christmas season seems to be the worse with seat swappers trolling the plane to move up. One dude on my GF's flight tried 3 times to swipe seats near the front til he was ordered to sit in his original seat...

I say sorry don't do middle seats
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I politely decline and tell them I booked this seat a long time ago....

Though i once did switch seats with a guy travelling with his son (maybe 12 years old)- I gave up my asile for a middle seat...

Another time on UA- there was a blind person and the FA was asking for someone to give up their seat and move to the back (middle seat)--I did as it was the right thing to do- the FA gave me a couple of free scotchs to ease my pain...
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
i was seated in an aisle seat in the middle row once when someone asked me if i wanted to switch with her bulkhead row seat.(window) I flew out of my seat before she could finish her sentence. (she needed the back of a seat to plug her laptop into)

If i was asked to swap seats to a middle seat, I'll just say no way. And I am a big guy so there is no way in hell I would sit in the middle seat - although I have sat in the middle seat of a 777 (AC001) before and it was not too bad. But I wouldn't go through that long flight again in a middle seat - i want the freedom of the aisle seat
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:17 pm

seat swapper arnt that bad....how bout seat ragers...... i was on a flight from HKG to SFO (12 hours)...

reclined my seat so sleep and relax...when suddenly someone slapped me hard on my arm and rudely told me to put the seat up..... i declined (until she asked me nicely) and instead she kicked the seat up and swore.....got the FA involved and she was warned any more trouble she'd be meeting the cops at the gate.

now thats a seatmate from hell!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I ran into a "seat-beater" as well, though he was passive-aggressive and pounded the back of my seat periodically without ever asking me to put my seat back up. After a while his wife asked me nicely and I complied if for no other reason than to encourage good behavior.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:03 pm

30 D on a 777-200 was asked to switch to a middle seat several back. told the guy i get explosive diarrhea at the flip of a switch and need easy aisle access. Guess who didnt ask twice?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Unintentional seat beaters are the worst. The ones that sit behind you, and think the touch screen on the IFE requires a full fledged punch to get going.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
My last one I was sitting at the window on a YVR - YYZ flight when an attractive young woman sat next to me and settled in. She looked over and asked if I would be willing to swap with her boyfriend. "no way" was half way out of my mouth when she mentioned he was in the J cabin. Most unusual upgrade I've ever had but one I willing took.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I've said this before...I'd love the airlines to creat a courtesy video...

...to be played after safety instructions.
1/2 the time I think people are just ignorant...not intentionally rude.
The video could point out on short flights reclining isnt necessary, and on longer ones that if you recline do so slowly as to not upset the persons tray behind you. That you should put your seat back up during meal service so that the person behind has room to eat.
The floor space in front of you is where your carry on goes not behind you.
Your personal listening/viewing device should be listened to at a volume that doesnt effect your neighbour even though you are wearing earbuds.
The IFE touch screen is very sensitive and only light touches are necessary, as heavy stabs at the screen will result in the person in front of you feeling like they are getting poked in the back.
Anyways you get the idea....I just think it just doent occur to some folks that this would be a problem/bother someone...especially the ma and pa kettles who fly 1 or 2 times a year. Something like this would help civility alot on aircraft.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC*E
I was flying YVR-HKG a few years back on the 343. I believe I was a new Elite at the time and was quite disappointed when my upgrade to J didn't clear. This was before my FlyerTalk lurking began and realising how important it is the do online checkin at T-24 hrs.

Anyways, I was sat in a front bulkhead aisle row. The passenger beside me seem disgruntled - he called over the flight attendant and had a chat with her in Chinese. The FA proceeded to ask me if I could swap seats with the gentleman's wife, who happened to be sitting in a middle seat at the back of the plane. I of course said no thank-you!

After we took off, a passenger from the back of the plane came up and swapped with the original gentleman beside me. Close to the end of the flight, the FA came and gave him an alcoholic present from duty free, which I thought was a nice gesture. Considering how upset my original seatmate seemed to be that he couldn't sit beside his wife for the 13hr flight.

No amount of free booze would have got me to move though - unless it was to J of course!

OT - returning from HKG on the same trip, my upgrade did not clear once again. So I was destined to sit in my bulkhead aisle seat for another 13hr. All buckled in, reading my book, doors about to close when the gate agent boarded the plane and asked me to collect my belongings since he needed me to change seats. Thankfully it was to J! That is certainly the most excited I've ever been on a plane!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
MB and I flew to Tahiti in March. The flight from LAX was about 8 hrs I think. I had a first class seat and MB had a business class seat. I had no problems getting MB's seat mate to swap with me (esp on the outbound as Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell were in first class). Wish I had known about the free pajamas though as I would have asked for those.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
They have that in Korean and Japanese airlines.

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...to be played after safety instructions.
1/2 the time I think people are just ignorant...not intentionally rude.
The video could point out on short flights reclining isnt necessary, and on longer ones that if you recline do so slowly as to not upset the persons tray behind you. That you should put your seat back up during meal service so that the person behind has room to eat.
The floor space in front of you is where your carry on goes not behind you.
Your personal listening/viewing device should be listened to at a volume that doesnt effect your neighbour even though you are wearing earbuds.
The IFE touch screen is very sensitive and only light touches are necessary, as heavy stabs at the screen will result in the person in front of you feeling like they are getting poked in the back.
Anyways you get the idea....I just think it just doent occur to some folks that this would be a problem/bother someone...especially the ma and pa kettles who fly 1 or 2 times a year. Something like this would help civility alot on aircraft.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:42 pm

YOW-YHZ on an Air Canada E-190 with 2+2 seating.

I have 28A. A couple are sitting in 28C & D. Across the aisle but still next to each other. As I approach my seat, the husband who was already sitting in 28C, asks if I would switch with his wife. I explain that I had pre-selected my seat, paying an additional $15 to get the window seat I wanted. His reply “some people are just so considerate” Wife’s reply “No, some people are just too cheap......I told you to select our seats when we booked”

Poor Buddy! I didn’t speak with him on the flight......she didn’t either!
Cotumely likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:47 pm

i did a seat swap once, then FA/GA was looking for me trying to do an upgrade to J.....because i wasnt sititng there anymore they took another E instead

ghYHZ...i love his wife's response! hahahaha

HomerJ.... flight would be a lot more peaceful if people would excercise courtesy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.