Hotel in Lagos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel in Lagos

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Lagos is not THAT dangerous. However, when bad things happen, they tend to be the worst kind of bad things. If your face is not local, it will attract attention - and it's rarely the kind of attention you are actively seeking.

As to being collected, the short answer is YES, hotel, client, whoever, as long as you can verify that they are who they are supposed to be, when arriving at LOS int'l terminal - the place is a zoo. Otherwise you have no way of knowing who is driving you, where they will take you and how much money they will 'extract' from you, one way or the other. And this is never truer after dark - as the roads can be dangerous.

As to the two hotels, I have no contacts.
Thanks! Im also considering the Four Points, which looks quite nice. Ever stayed there or heard anything about it?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is it recommended to have my hotel pick me up and drop me off vs. taking a taxi?
If you do arrange a hotel pickup, ensure you set up a customised challenge phrase and response in advance. A common problem at Lagos airport is for unscrupulous folks to copy names off hotel driver signs and then intercept the passenger while posing as hotel employees. Using a second tier of identity verification will usually defeat this kind of opportunistic activity.

If you do need to take a taxi, look for a guy in a yellow hi-viz saying "ACHAN" (Airport Car Hire Association of Nigeria) - they are the union of airport taxis and are very militant about keeping the dodgy folks out of their ranks. They will probably rip you off by charging you way too much, but you are less likely to wind up with bodily harm.

Most people who travel to Nigeria do come back alive, so the odds are in your favour.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:04 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
hotel in Ikeja

[apologies for bumping a >2 year old thread, but there doesn't seem to be much chat about Lagos hotels ]

Looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Ikeja - I've used the Sheraton before which has been fine, but unexciting. I can't justify the extra $150 for the Proteas... anything else to recommend in the area?

House j sounds nice - some comments on tripadvisor about a/c and mosquitos are a slight concern, does anyone have recent experience? Otherwise, is Welcome Centre okay?

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
I've stayed at the Federal Palace (South African chain) a few times. It's a new hotel and a very decent property in terms of facilities and service.
And I remember staying at the Federal Palace back in the 70s, when it was the only place in town!

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Oct 22, 2014 at 7:20 am Reason: found the house j website
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Radisson Blu Anchorage is the hotel I stay at right now. It's located in Victoria Island. Decent (for Lagos) and has a nice vibe in the evenings.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:52 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Radisson Blu Anchorage is the hotel I stay at right now. It's located in Victoria Island. Decent (for Lagos) and has a nice vibe in the evenings.
BEYFlyer - I really need/want to stay in Ikeja - 4 meetings there and haven't got the energy to head out to VI, although I'd love to try to find our old house.

Now, go back to the Middle East forum and answer my question there about Beirut!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Can't think of anything other than Protea in Ikeja. Good hotels are never cheap in Lagos...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:43 am

Ibis is clean and safe, but very typically Ibis basic amenities. Convenient for Ikeja though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.