Good Background Reading For Trip To South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Good Background Reading For Trip To South Africa

Hi All,

I will be making my first trip to South Africa in October. Whenever I go somewhere new, I like to do as much background reading as possible on the place, its people/culture and its history. I have already read Nelson Mandela's autobiography and am planning on re-reading Kaffir Boy, whcih I read in high school. Does nayone have any other reccomendations? I am not looking for tourist guidebooks, as I already have plenty of those.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2003, 4:55 am

Most of the Classics on South Africa are no reflection on the current "New" Post-apartheid South Africa society post 1994.
I recommend Riaan Malan's "My Traitors Heart" and Alaisdair Sparks' "The mind of South Africa" for a glimpse of history.

Old Aug 24, 2003, 8:38 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Hi PresRDC! I tried to do the same kidn of reading before our first S.A. trip, but it's true -- many of the books are now dated. However, a lot of what's happening today in S.A. is related to the last 200 years of history... I wish I'd known more before we went about Afrikaaners vs. the British, about the Zulus, Shaka Zulu, and other black African chieftans and their encounters with white settlers, about S.A.'s distinct "coloured" peoples and their origins, and about the specific chronology of the rise of the white Nationalist government and apartheid, Mandela's imprisonment & ultimate release, and Apartheid's dismantling just a few years ago. Basically, I think that even though the books are dated, it's still worth learning the history. Then you can arrive in S.A. and learn what's happening now, informed by your understanding of the country's past.

Also, it's terribly off-topic, but... I just clicked on your profile, catch22, and realized that just last wee I recommended your company's services to a neighbor. She's lots 100+ lbs and now needs plastic surgery. She was enthralled by my stories of S.A. so I hope she'll combine both into one trip! I almost wish I needed some surgery so I could return to beautiful South Africa.

David

------------------
AIM: RutherfordMurray
Old Aug 25, 2003, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for the help guys. IndyDavid, I am taking your advice and staying at the Chitwa Chitwa for my Kruger safair. Unfortunately, I could only get two nights, but I am waitlisted for a third, so I hope it clears.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 9:09 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Really? That's so awesome!!! You'll have such a terrific time. If Ken (the ranger) or DeBeer (the tracker) are there, please say hi to them for us. And to Vanessa (the hostess) and Martha (the waitress) too.

I hope you'll do a trip report!

David (& Alejandro)

------------------
AIM: RutherfordMurray
Old Aug 27, 2003, 4:38 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
Mandela, Mobutu, and Me
Lynne Duke

A Human Being Died That Night : A South African Story of Forgiveness
Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
Hi All,

I will be making my first trip to South Africa in October. Whenever I go somewhere new, I like to do as much background reading as possible on the place, its people/culture and its history. I have already read Nelson Mandela's autobiography and am planning on re-reading Kaffir Boy, whcih I read in high school. Does nayone have any other reccomendations? I am not looking for tourist guidebooks, as I already have plenty of those.

Thanks!
</font>
Old Aug 27, 2003, 4:43 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat

I forgot add this one.
A History of South Africa by Leonard Monteath Thompson

I read about 25 books before I went to SA this summer. Long Walk and these three were the most relevant for an American black guy like me. You may prefer something else.

It you want something more specific just let me know.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 2:33 am

I highly recommend almost anything by Nadine Gordimer. One that is post change and is amazing is House Gun, but there are many, many that are terrific. Just reread July's People recently which is a picture of what could have easily happened were it not for the leadership of Mandela and his colleagues.

Also, on the plane, read Disgrace, by J. M. Coetzee. It is short, dense,painful and extraordinarily good.

Have a great time, it is a special place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.