Wiki Posts
Search

Yellow fever

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Yellow fever

I'm having a tough time getting a definite answer.
I'm traveling to tanzina in may, I have a overnight layover in Nairobi . I am coming from the USA.
Does Tanzania require a yellow fever vaccine for entry since I had a stop in Kenya?
Thank you.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
The problem will be with the carrier not allowing you to board the flight if you dont have a yellow fever certificate. I was able to board as I have a yellow fever certificate but another passenger (US Passport holder) was given a difficult time.

My experience is from more than 4 years ago, so will have someone else give an updated version. Might also help to check on Timatic
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Thx you,
Taking a charter flight
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
You will not be needing any Yellow Fever certificate. Also cross checked with Timatic http://www.flyslm.com/visa.html which goes into the details of needing to have $50 and $100 bills to get visa on arrival but no mention of Yellow Fever certificate.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:16 pm

It ultimately depends on Tanzanian immigration. If you travel without a yellow fever certificate, you risk being hassled on arrival even if the airline allows you to board.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Sabasi
It ultimately depends on Tanzanian immigration. If you travel without a yellow fever certificate, you risk being hassled on arrival even if the airline allows you to board.
Indeed. And in my experience, Tanzania tends to check this more often than not.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

As stated we fly from USA to Nairobi , overnight in Nairobi than take a coastal avaition flight to lodge.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Beware, our local paper had an article about the trouble of getting Yellow Fever vaccine due to some manufacturing machine breakdown. The machine is not being replaced, but the plant is. May have to travel further to fine a source.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Just to make sure - I am Canadian, coming from Istanbul, to Tanzania (Selous and then Zanzibar). Will I need yellow fever? We are meeting with an immunization clinic next week, but I would like to see what people think here?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Just to make sure - I am Canadian, coming from Istanbul, to Tanzania (Selous and then Zanzibar). Will I need yellow fever? We are meeting with an immunization clinic next week, but I would like to see what people think here?
No, you don't need yellow fever. Nobody does :-).
Tanzania has a list of countries they require a certivicate if you are arriving on a direct flight. Check that.
Zanzibar considers itself not as part of Tanzania in terms of health requirements. Therefore they can (and on rare occations they will) ask for an vaccination certificate (yellow fever) on arrival from Tanzania mainland.
Reports about that are rare but not unfound (including forced vaccination) and I can confirm they do check sometimes.
I've had problems when my father (age above 75, so yellow fever vaccination is not a recommended option) had been checked on arrival from DAR. It took a while and only because of the very high respect for elderly people in Tanzania we got away this time.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
One more thought that could make this decision easier.

Think age, future travel destinations, etc.

The shot is less than $200, and is relative safe. If you get it, then it is done and that's that. Minor effort to carry proof.

Just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.