Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

How far in advance to book safaris? (Botswana & Kruger)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

Some online sites say that a few safaris may be sold out 12 months in advance, which I find hard to believe. Of course, if there's no downside, I'll start planning for my Nov trip.

Also, any recommendations for a place in Kruger and Okavango Delta?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
In high season (June-September dry season and Christmas school holidays in SA) the self-drive options in Okavango Delta and more popular self drive places in Kruger can sell out as soon as they become available, around 12 months ahead. Similarly, the more exclusive lodges can sell out very quickly, even at those prices! You have to remember that many lodges will only have around 10 guests.

However, November is past the high season - it may have started raining by then (which effects both how enjoyable the safari is and more importantly the animal movements) and it will be seriously hot.

Assuming you are talking about November 2018, then yes I would be planning now, particularly looking at what to expect from different parts of Kruger and the Okavango in terms of the habitat, wildlife, type of lodging and atmosphere, to make sure you get what you want from your safari.

I am sure one or more of the regulars will be along with recommendations - I have only really done self-drive and I assume you are asking about lodges.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by konagirl2
I am sure one or more of the regulars will be along with recommendations - I have only really done self-drive and I assume you are asking about lodges.
Your advice is spot-on.

Eethan, if you can be more specific about your plans, we can provide more specific recommendations and advice. Kruger and the Delta are both pretty big places, and a lot will also depend on how much you are willing to spend.

Johan
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
My favorite was Andbeyond in Botswana. As suggested- you need to set out your budget first which will narrow options. Maun is easy to get to but higher cost than JNB or CPT. Now trying in March Dare to Explore. Many different companies out there with options of tented camps, lodges, etc. with considerable price variation. I would suggest a good travel agent for assistance/advice. For air transport to/from main airports- I arrange on my own.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Hi Eethan,

For Botswana travel in November, usually the first week sells out first. The reason is because almost all safari lodge chains shift their rates from high season to shoulder season on November 1. Some lodges ease into it by eliminating specials and such in July through September, re-introducing long stay specials in October based off high seaons rates, then dropping the rates on November 1.

The animal viewing in Botswana stays exceptional until the first heavy rains which is not normally until December.

Like the others said, if you provide your preliminary budget I may be able to give some very specific advice. I have been to the majority of the upscale safari lodges in Botswana but very few of the budget ones (<$400 per person per night).

Safari lodges in South Africa are usually the same price year round. I know for a fact that every Singita lodge in South Africa is sold out from Dec 20, 2017-Jan 2, 2018. But, this is one of the most expensive places in the country. You can almost always find space in November at this point in time at most lodges.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expert Africa (www.expertafrica.com) lets you see live availability (between 0 and 2 without logging in, between 0 and 4 if you sign up for free and log in) for a bunch of camps in various countries. For example, go to the website, then from the Africa menu select Botswana, then from that select Okavango Delta, and there you see a few dozen camps. Select one, then click the Availability tab (the far right tab), then select the date to see a section of the calendar. It's updated daily (on Africa weekdays).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.