Wiki Posts
Search

Snorkeling with family - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Snorkeling with family - Help!

Hi everyone

We are thinking about visiting South Africa next September and then flying out from Joburg to somewhere nice to relax on the beach. We are a family of 4 (our kids will be 11 and 8) and we LOVE snorkeling.

For now we are looking either at Mauritius or Seychelles, but we are open to any suggestion. We are looking for the best snorkeling off the beach (possibly outside the hotel) and a not too crowded beach/island. We have been to the Maldives, Fiji and French Polynesia... but I guess this time we are not going to find a "private beach" in front of the hotel or a small island (at least not within a "normal" budget!).

Where would you go for good snorkeling off the beach/nice hotel/good food and a relaxing time with your family?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Mauritius doesn't have good off-the-beach snorkeling - which is the main reason we have never been there! (Whereas we have been to the Maldives a dozen times.)

The Seychelles do. On Mahe there are some decent choices. Bookending the gorgeous, long beach of Beauvallon Bay are the Hilton Northolme and the Le Meridien Fishermans Cove which both have access to rewarding snorkeling. The Hilton, which is on a headland has a private bay with good snorkeling on the one side. Further afield the Kempinski has excellent snorkeling on its doorstep. On the other islands like La Digue and Praslin there are also options.

Apart from the snorkeling if you have never been to the Seychelles you will be blown away by the beauty of the granitic islands. The combination of massive, sculptural granite forms with tropical vegetation and perfect beaches is simply breathtaking.

Caveat: I have no idea what impact the most recent coral bleaching event has had on the reefs of the Seychelles. What I saw in the Maldives in September truly shocked me.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi pankarita78!

Some closer options would be to consider Bazaruto Archipelago off the coast of Mozambique as well as the Quirimbas Archipelago. Another option would be Zanzibar.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Zanzibar doesn't have great off-the-beach snorkelling either. (Unless you go to Mnemba Island which may well have great snorkelling from the beach - it certainly attracts lots of snorkelling "safaris". I have only dived off Mnemba, never stayed there.)
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA, SAA
Yes, everything I've read would suggest the Bazaruto archipelago as the most appropriate destination.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Mnemba only so so

While Mnemba has the best of the beach snorkling in East Africa. , At least from my experience, it really is not great if the Maldives is your yardstick. On the other hand Zanzabar is a really interesting outside the snorkling and I do enjoy staying at Nuingi – Especially the Hilton Doubletree.

it's good to hear about the other African snorkling options here. I had kind of given up trying to combine great snorkelling with game trips.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Mnemba only so so

While Mnemba has the best of the beach snorkling in East Africa. , At least from my experience, it really is not great if the Maldives is your yardstick. On the other hand Zanzabar is a really interesting outside the snorkling and I do enjoy staying at Nuingi – Especially the Hilton Doubletree.

it's good to hear about the other African snorkling options here. I had kind of given up trying to combine great snorkelling with game trips.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:07 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I enjoyed snorkeling in the Seychelles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.