Wiki Posts
Search

Cote d'Ivoire/Liberia/Sierra Leone and onwards: help with itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Cote d'Ivoire/Liberia/Sierra Leone and onwards: help with itinerary

Hi all,

I'm due to fly into Abidjan next year and wanted to get some advice on an itinerary. There are two fixed points that can't be changed.

Day 1: Arrival in Abidjan in the evening.
Day 8: Departure from Freetown in the evening

Additionally, I'll be booking direct flights between ABJ/ROB/FNA.

My question is: How should I divide my time between the three countries? My goal is to wander around and see interesting things: architecture, wildlife (where applicable), markets, etc.

My original thought is to spend four nights in Cote d'Ivoire because (a) I hear that Abidjan is one of the nicest cities in West Africa and (b) it'll allow me a chance to do an overnight trip to Yamoussoukro, so that I can see the cathedral (and the apparently bizarrely empty city). That would leave me one night in Monrovia and two nights in Freetown. I am interested in visiting Monkey Island in Liberia, if it's possible to do so.

Of course, if the consensus is that Yamoussoukro is somehow less interesting than Monrovia (which I've heard isn't that great), I could skip it and divide my nights 3/2/2.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I can't really speak for Liberia or Sierra Leone other than to say getting from the airport to Freerown is not for the feint hearted - there's no risk free way of doing the crossing. The fast boat service is probably your best bet (though one of our engineers had to wade to shore, carrying his laptop bag above his head, when they didn't balance the baggage properly).

Abidjan is indeed an attractive city with a nice skyline. I was staying at the Pullman Hotel, very close to the Pyramide building. Back when I was there, just after the election, my customer's security advised not walking anywhere, but the situation should be much improved now. I can't write much else as I was busy on the business of doing business. I think two to three nights would be sufficient.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Bump....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.