Wiki Posts
Search

CPT- Time needed to drop car and check-in

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
CPT- Time needed to drop car and check-in

I'm looking at a domestic flight CPT-UTN in January, departing at 07:10 in the morning. How much time would you say for dropping rental car off, check-in, security etc?

Also, as far as I can tell SAA (Airlink) is the only option to UTN, correct?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:17 am

I dropped off a rental car (Avis) at CPT earlier this year. The drop off would have been quick except that the agent pointed out some damage to the car - same damage that the agent pointed out when I picked up the car from Capetown central. For some reason the dropoff agent's paperwork did not show the damage. Had to fill in a form but never heard anything more. Also had to go into the office to drop off GPS which added to the time.

It's a bit of a hike from the rental car dropoff to the terminal, but at least you don't have to take a shuttle.

Half an hour extra to all for rental car dropoff should be plenty.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by djkjam
I dropped off a rental car (Avis) at CPT earlier this year.

Half an hour extra to all for rental car dropoff should be plenty.
Same for me with AVIS CPT as well. Damage (real or otherwise), issue with paperwork, return problems, car seat return, etc. can all slow the process down. My last one with Avis actually soured me on them for some time. Lots of them running around looking for managers or what have you.

On occasion (and, I cannot recall which companies - though it likely was Avis or Hertz), the staff has offered to allow me to drive the car to the pax drop off area right at the terminal, while they walk over to the same spot at wait for me, then they let me unload the car and sort out the luggage with porters. When jsnydcsa family has traveled, this has been a good thing. Less unpacking, carrying on with multiple luggage trolleys up and down all those ramps between rental car return and terminal. However, IIRC, that was before they completed the renovations at CPT, so it might have been once off thing.

30 minutes should do it though. I generally like to leave extra time for this type of stuff and other vagaries of SA travel.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Oh Avis CPT. Set aside an extra 30 minutes just for them.

Also, keep an eye on your credit card statements for the next few months after your trip!
I rented a car from Avis CPT for a week-long holiday. After getting a hundred or so miles north, I turned on the AC only to find nothing but hot air. Not wanting to spend half a day going back, I just endured and informed the agent upon my return to CPT that the AC didn't work. No problem.

Two months later, a charge for $800+ shows up on my corporate card (this was a personal rental, paid for with my personal CC). It took nearly two weeks to find out the charge was to tow the car to the Toyota dealership in JNB, and for repairs to the AC.

It took intervention by Conde Nast Traveler and an Avis VP to finally get that charge off my corporate card. It had even gotten the attention of our corporate travel office (very large, international company) to consider switching preferred car rental companies.

Definitely a sour taste.

Document every speck of dust AND TEST EVERY SYSTEM on a rental car from them. Tire pressures, light bulbs, squeaky brakes....reject anything less than 100% because you will likely be billed for the same upon return.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:30 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Just as a counter to this - I have rented in SA (JNB, CPT, DUR and downtown JHB locations), from Avis and Hertz, probably 40 times in the last three years. In that time, I have never had any hassles with 'damage' being charged. Not once.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but it certainly doesn't happen *all the time*.

And to answer the original poster - for a 7:10 flight, I would have already checked-in online/have my bp/have no checked baggage, and aim to be driving into car rental returns at 6:15. Add 20 minutes for unfamiliarity/checkin, and I'd say arriving at 5:45-5:55 would be fine.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Thanks everyone for the replies! Had great experience with Avis at JNB but am still always cautious when renting anywhere, including the US.

I think I'll plan to arrive around 05:45 then. SAA says 90 mins check-in prior to flight but I assume that's a bit of overkill. Also, I'll be staying in the Stellenbosch area so hopefully the drive at that hour shouldn't be too bad, correct?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Just as a counter to this - I have rented in SA (JNB, CPT, DUR and downtown JHB locations), from Avis and Hertz, probably 40 times in the last three years. In that time, I have never had any hassles with 'damage' being charged. Not once.
I second this. Rented ~30 times from Avis in JNB/CPT/DUR over the last 10 years and always had fantastic service. Even when I genuinely had an accident, they processed the paperwork promptly and dealt directly with my insurance company for the claim.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I second this. Rented ~30 times from Avis in JNB/CPT/DUR over the last 10 years and always had fantastic service. Even when I genuinely had an accident, they processed the paperwork promptly and dealt directly with my insurance company for the claim.
I third that, maybe about 10 rentals in the last 2-3 years CPT/JNB, never had an issue.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
I've had 8 rentals at JNB Avis, and a hundred+ other Avis rentals in 30+countries, all without a hitch.

I've had exactly one rental from CPT Avis, which resulted in the misadventure described above.
JNB is definately not CPT.
I've found JNB Avis to be quite efficient and helpful. Actually, the personnel at CPT were friendly and helpful, until this unauthorized charge showed up on my corporate card for $800+. Once management got involved, it seemed to become a matter of pride for them. They didn't want resolution; they wanted victory.

My experience at the CPT Avis was SO far outside what I've experienced at any other location, coupled with the absolute refusal of anyone at the CPT office to reconsider the details of my case, that it warrants a caution.
It's not like I was dealing with one bad employee who was having a bad day. We're talking about several weeks of dealing with all levels of management at the CPT office, all to no avail. Only after a US-based president of customer relations stepped in was this resolved, in less than five minutes. (In my original post, I said VP. I've since gone back and found his message...'President').

So, my cautionary tale stands. Do with it what you will.
This all occurred in March-May of 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.