Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Nairobi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Uber in Nairobi

Has anyone tried/ any experiences to report? Fare estimate from JKIA to downtown is 1300-1600 KSh, so undercutting the regular taxi fare by a chunk...
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:49 am

Use it multiple times. Paid between 1100 - 1600 KES from the Panari to Ngong Road and vice versa, depending on traffic. No compliants, except that the estimated time till pick up bears zero relation to reality.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My taxi from JKIA to Hurlingham/Kilimani area (or vice versa) is always Ksh 1500/-, so maybe you need a new taxi company.

I take Uber a lot in NBO and it is totally fine. Love being able to pay with a credit card. It's also usually cheaper for short hops, but I stick with the taxi for airport runs because the driver is usually there and you cannot count on having an Uber available for pickup at the airport.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by symphonicman
My taxi from JKIA to Hurlingham/Kilimani area (or vice versa) is always Ksh 1500/-, so maybe you need a new taxi company.

I take Uber a lot in NBO and it is totally fine. Love being able to pay with a credit card. It's also usually cheaper for short hops, but I stick with the taxi for airport runs because the driver is usually there and you cannot count on having an Uber available for pickup at the airport.
Thanks both for comments. symphonicman, I would love to get the details of a decent taxi company for airport trips...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:57 am

PM sent!
Old May 14, 2016, 2:19 pm

PM sent!
Could I also get a PM rE: Taxi company from NBO. I will be in Nairobi in 2 weeks and had planned on Ubering from airport, but might do taxi now.

Thanks
Old May 16, 2016, 2:58 am

PM sent!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Does anyone know the logistics of Uber pickup at Nairobi airport? And is it recommended? My arrival is at about midnight, and I'm going to a hotel near Wilson Airport. It seems like a reasonable option as far as price, but wondering how much hassle it will be. In most US airports, there is a designated pickup area.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
PM sent!
Any chance of one more PM for a reliable taxi? Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
Any chance of one more PM for a reliable taxi? Thanks!
I used nairobiairporttransfers.com when I was there last (note, no www in the website link...), ignore the website prices as they seem obsolete, I paid 30$ for a 6-seater, someone was waiting outside the terminal before we got out and on the way back the driver arrived 5 minutes early.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Ditto
I used nairobiairporttransfers.com when I was there last (note, no www in the website link...), ignore the website prices as they seem obsolete, I paid 30$ for a 6-seater, someone was waiting outside the terminal before we got out and on the way back the driver arrived 5 minutes early.
Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Does anyone know the logistics of Uber pickup at Nairobi airport? And is it recommended? My arrival is at about midnight, and I'm going to a hotel near Wilson Airport. It seems like a reasonable option as far as price, but wondering how much hassle it will be. In most US airports, there is a designated pickup area.
Once you launch the app for a pickup at JKIA, it will give you the option as to which terminal you want pickup from. Choose the appropriate terminal and it will advise you the pickup point for that terminal. Very simple and straightforward.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Many of the private cabbies in the airport are Uber drivers as well. Normally when I land, I check to see if there are Ubers nearby, and then decide if I'll use one or not. There are three designated pick up points that will show up on your phone T1A, T1E or T2 (domestic airlines). Choose the one relevant to you, and they usually call when they are approaching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.