Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Ethiopia - Feel for Day-to-Day Going to Tourist Sites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between

I'm going to Ethiopia early January for a short trip (less than a week).

The standard itinerary it seems is:

Addis Ababa - Lalibela - Gondar (time permitting) - Bahir Dar (time permitting)

That said, my greatest priority is to spend my limited time getting the best (understandably still surface-level) feel for day-to-day life... yes, I'm even OK missing the most major sites. Considering most Ethiopians live in a rural setting, I appreciate the exposure I'll get from Addis, but I want to be sure to spend some time in smaller places too.

If I follow the tourist track listed above, will I also get exposure to smaller populations? Are those areas too touristy or too unique to be somewhat representative, or are they or nearby places also OK for seeing some of non-urban day-to-day life?

If they are touristy and/or overly urban, what recommendations do you have for replacing the tourist areas given my goal?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.