Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South African Adventure - Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

South African Adventure - Reccomendations

First time traveling to South Africa and want to make sure I do all of the "musts".

I am there for just over 2 weeks but only about half of that is time I have to plan my own activities.

We will be in the Cape Town area for the majority of the trip and have already planned to do the following:

Robben Island
Shark Diving
Hike Table Mountain
Wineries (Stellenbosch/Franschoek)
Safari/Game drives (Kruger/Pilanesburg)
Cape Peninsula Day Tour

Is there anything in addition to what I already have planned that I should seriously be looking at fitting in?

Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Golf
Golf
Golf
and if it is whale season, go down to Hermanus and watch the large beasts swim about.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi!

When are you traveling? Will you be with family or traveling alone? Any children? Where are you flying in and out of?

Cape Town certainly has something for everyone. It's a city that's vibrant, trendy, cultural and historical with great culinary/wine and surrounded by natural beauty, etc.

I would only hike Table Mountain if you are very experienced and prepared for the possibility of a very dramatic shift in weather. The more popular route though is via the Platteklip Gorge. Still you may want to consider a guide or if weather prevents a hike, you can always take the Cable Car. Look for the Dassies, a gopher-like animal that oddly has a skeleton closest to the African elephant!

The Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens are really beautiful. Over a year ago, they built the Centenary Canopy Walk there. Architecturally designed like a "boomslang", local for 'snake'. The bridge walk undulates and curves. It's quite pretty especially at certain times of the day. There's also a sculpture garden that's nice. Check it out online.

The Wine Lands region is incredible and there are some amazing restaurants. You can drive there yourself (about an hour from Cape Town). The area is really beautiful but check before you go as a number of vineyards have shortened hours on Weekends. Some are closed on Sundays. You can take the wine tram (hop on hop off train) and visit many places.. The views and food at Jordan Vineyards are stunning.

I'd consider a Township Tour with a private guide. You get a real glimpse into the lives of the heart of Cape Town. I use a particular guide who grew up in the township and has started a drum and dance project for children. The tour is a Cape Town highlight for many of my clients. The children are warm and friendly. Their singing, drumming and dancing will have you dancing along with them!

You can fly direct from Cape Town into a number of the reserves associated with the Greater Kruger area. I would focus your safari time in the private reserves where you can experience off-road driving, night drives, more knowledgeable guides, and a more private game viewing experience. Sabi Sand and Timbavati Private Game Reserves are great! Sabi Sand is exceptional for leopard sightings. There is a lodge in either of these areas for nearly all budgets. Highly recommend..

For a 2 week trip, I'd do 4-5 nights Cape Town, 6-7 nights on Safari, and quite possibly an added 1-2 night extension from Safari for the Panorama Route to see Blyde Canyon, God's Window, Three Rondavels etc. The scenery is spectacular. You can take a hot air balloon and experience the splendor of these canyons. Wow! This area is most easily accessed from Timbavati so I'd perhaps do 5 nights Cape Town, then fly to Sabi for 3 nights, road transfer to Timbavati for 3 nights, and do a extension out and back on Pan Route for 2 nights. Then I'd fly to your departing airport (CPT or JNB?). That would make for an efficient loop of internal flights with some great diversity of SA!

You'll have an awesome time no matter what you do. The Rand is at a historic low so your travel dollars will really extend for you quite nicely. I'd be happy to help with any further questions or if you need some help picking the right lodges or places to stay that meet your style of travel and budget, please reach out.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
When is whale season for the whales in Hermanus?

And which area is good for hot air balloon to see the canyons?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by benberg2013
When is whale season for the whales in Hermanus?
Type "whale watching hermanus" into your Google search bar.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:52 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by YWGtoAnywhere

We will be in the Cape Town area for the majority of the trip and have already planned to do the following:

Robben Island
Shark Diving
Hike Table Mountain
Wineries (Stellenbosch/Franschoek)
Safari/Game drives (Kruger/Pilanesburg)
Cape Peninsula Day Tour

Is there anything in addition to what I already have planned that I should seriously be looking at fitting in?

Thanks!
Having hiked Table Mountain I would really only recommend if you are fit per another posters comments above. We hiked on a windy day, cable car was closed, gasping for a beer at the top, only to find every thing shut! Jogged back down and managed to flag down a passing taxi. Couldn't walk properly for a couple of days - and was on my honeymoon, but that's another story....
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi benberg2013!

The Southern Right Whale can be seen June to November and the Humpback Whale from May to December, with the whales being further north along the coast in the later months. Having said that, animals do move as they like so ranges are always tricky to say but these are general migratory patterns.

As for hot air ballooning along the Panorama Route, people do that in Hazyview (gateway to the route) or in Graskop.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Hi!

When are you traveling? Will you be with family or traveling alone? Any children? Where are you flying in and out of?

I would only hike Table Mountain if you are very experienced and prepared for the possibility of a very dramatic shift in weather. The more popular route though is via the Platteklip Gorge. Still you may want to consider a guide or if weather prevents a hike, you can always take the Cable Car. L

The Wine Lands region is incredible and there are some amazing restaurants.

I'd consider a Township Tour with a private guide. You get a real glimpse into the lives of the heart of Cape Town. I use a particular guide who grew up in the township and has started a drum and dance project for children.

For a 2 week trip, I'd do 4-5 nights Cape Town, 6-7 nights on Safari, and quite possibly an added 1-2 night extension from Safari for the Panorama Route to see Blyde Canyon, God's Window, Three Rondavels etc.

You'll have an awesome time no matter what you do. The Rand is at a historic low so your travel dollars will really extend for you quite nicely. I'd be happy to help with any further questions or if you need some help picking the right lodges or places to stay that meet your style of travel and budget, please reach out.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Thanks for all of the replies!

In my first post I just gave the outline of our trip, but it is in fact fairly detailed.

We will be in South Africa from December 3 to December 18. We are in Cape Town for 1 day to start during which we planned to go to Robben Island.

We then head out to Paarl for a wedding and will be in that area for the next couple days when we plan to visit wineries.

We then fly CPT-JNB for our guided Safari in Kruger, after which we will head to Tambuti lodge to visit a friend as well as some more game drives.

Finally, we will return to Cape Town for the last 3 days of our trip. The Table Mountain hike we have planned is guided, and by most standards we are both in good shape (I guess we will see if this is true!)

We should have a free day at the very end of our trip and as of right now I am thinking that a Cape Peninsula guided tour might be the best use of the time to make sure we see everything we can!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:33 am

YWGtoAnywhere,

Sounds like a great trip! A really nice blend of the animals, nature, countryside, history, wine lands, family, celebrations, etc! Enjoy!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.