Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Chobe safari (Botswana): Best Hotel Rewards program to use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

My gf and I will be travelling to Africa in September, and this trip will include a 3 night stay in Botswana for safari along the Chobe River, likely near Kasane.

Are any of the major hotel rewards programs useful for staying at any of the lodges/chalets in this area, or is this a job for just using Barclay Arrival+ miles and reimbursing to defray the net cost?
Old May 16, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Wow, I can't think of any, but Marriott just had Protea group join up. Seems Livingstone might be the closest. I'd be curious if any others pop up.

I find the Hilton in Sandton a great value in point with Hilton Hhonors when flying into JNB (if that is at all helpful to you).

Good luck.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Unfortunately there are no international chains around Kasane. I stayed at the Cresta Mowana lodge which is quite good and excursions are very reasonably priced, but it's a Zimbabwe owned chain so points from N. American, Europen, and Asian chains are no good.

Unfortunately in Africa when it comes to international chain hotels, outside of South Africa then they're mostly just in capital cities and a very few beach resorts. South Africa on the other hand is now pretty well represented with Protea under Marriott plus all the regulars in major cities.

Back to Kasane, unless you're going to do a single daytrip to Chobe then I would not advise basing yourself in Livingstone (ZM) or Victoria Falls (ZW), it's not terribly far but it's inconvenient and travel on highways after dark is generally not advised. You'd also miss the early morning drives which can be the most exciting if you manage to find a big cat on the hunt. Unfortunately that means sucking it up and paying cash for a room there, but there are more moderate options if you don't want to splurge for a full out lodge. It's also worth actually calling them directly to see if you can get a better rate than the website, they actually offered me a rate about $60 a night cheaper than the website when I was at Cresta Mowana.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Gold
Take a look at the Pride of Zambezi houseboats. They are technically in Namibia, but you are viewing the wildlife in Chobe NP from the river. We did 3 different safaris on our recent April trip and the houseboat was our favorite one.

We also stayed at a camp outside of Chobe NP, Elephant Valley. It was fine but it took 30 minutes just to drive to the entrance of the park. If I ever go back I'll find a small hotel in Kasane town and go into the park from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.