London to Kilimanjaro question

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 9:37 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
London to Kilimanjaro question

Hello FTers
My daughter is planning trip to Kilimanjaro in July, for a student placement. I am looking at routes to get here there. Favourite seems to be to take BA to Nairobi (Avios to the rescue) then onward with Precision Air or Kenya Airways.
Does anyone have any insights into how this may work? It seems she will have to stay overnight in Nairobi. Is there an airport hotel? Will she need to pass through immigration?
I would much appreciate any information.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:13 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by squeeler
Hello FTers
My daughter is planning trip to Kilimanjaro in July, for a student placement. I am looking at routes to get here there. Favourite seems to be to take BA to Nairobi (Avios to the rescue) then onward with Precision Air or Kenya Airways.
Does anyone have any insights into how this may work? It seems she will have to stay overnight in Nairobi. Is there an airport hotel? Will she need to pass through immigration?
I would much appreciate any information.
There is no hotel at the airport, I'd suggest the Ole Sereni as being a pleasant place nearby, although it is quite pricey [traffic in Nairobi is rubbish, so if she is needs to be back at the airport again in the morning no point in going into 'town']. As there is no airport hotel, she'll need to clear immigration - she can get a visa on arrival (assuming that she holds a UK passport) which costs $50, and takes between 2 and about 45 minutes, depending on how fast she gets off the plane.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Qatar Airways also flies to JRO via Doha & Dar Es Salaam so if you could find an Avios ticket all the way would save you the hotel, visa & Precision Air flight. It's probably going to be hard but worth a look.
Other options include ET, TK & KL. KL would probably be the easiest as it would be a one stop via AMS with the least amount of time spent traveling. Not sure if you have any SkyTeam miles or if availability will exist.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:20 pm

In July 2015, QR operates DOH to JRO nonstop.

DE also is an option.

LHR-NBO-JRO can be done in one day without an overnight stay in NBO, using BA and PW -or- KQ and PW.

Last edited by Sabasi; May 13, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Old May 18, 2015, 10:01 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you all. Very helpful.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: Tour consultants
All the above given suggestions can work..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.