Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping a Safari guide/range - which currency

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Tipping a Safari guide/range - which currency

We are headed off to one of the upscale Safari Lodges in the Sabi Sands area. We will be in shared jeep for about 3 days as oppose to private drives.

Should we plan to tip in US$ or in South African Rands? US$ is easier even though we are not Americans but I wonder about what access these guides/rangers get to banks.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will happily take your US$.

Johan
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:43 pm

They would prefer local currency.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sabasi
Well, yes, of course they would, for all the glaringly obvious reasons.

Not all game lodge guests carry local currency, though. Both € and US$ are quite acceptable. Most, if not all, lodges will also allow guests to add any and all tips to the bill and pay by credit card.

Johan
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
What would be the tip amount should be? I will be staying in Elephant plains in June.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:30 pm

If one cares about the guides and porters, tip payment will be in local currency and the tips will be paid directly, not through an intermediary. Guides should not be trusted with porter tips. Nor should lodges or hotels be trusted to pay 100 percent of the client's money exactly as the client wants.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by concordian
What would be the tip amount should be? I will be staying in Elephant plains in June.
The lodge may well give you guidance in the information pack (or you could send an e-mail). Around R150-200 per day for ranger and tracker seems to be generally recommended. Some differentiate between ranger and tracker but they seem to do much the same work (I appreciate the ranger will have probably taken extra exams). I understand that at some lodges they divide the tips equally between themselves whatever the guests decide.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:31 pm

With the Rand heading fast round the nearest u bend many would prefer USD.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
With the Rand heading fast round the nearest u bend many would prefer USD.
These are typically poor people with extended families to support; they're not currency speculators. This isn't a Zimbabwe-type situation, where the local currency collapsed as store of value / medium of exchange. It's a lot more hassle for them to change USD into ZAR than it is for you to change USD into ZAR (expensive for them too) - so preferably pay them in ZAR.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nor should lodges or hotels be trusted to pay 100 percent of the client's money exactly as the client wants.
If adding tips to the bill at checkout, one should of course appraise the guide and tracker of the amounts they can expect.

At a game lodge is it neither practical or possible to tip all the staff individually. The usual procedure is to tip the guide and tracker separately, and everybody else (housekeeping, catering, maintenance, etc.) separately, often by placing the envelope provided in the tip box provided.

Johan
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:01 pm

The guide and tracker have no practicable remedy if they do not receive the money. Hence the need to pay them directly.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
These are typically poor people with extended families to support; they're not currency speculators. This isn't a Zimbabwe-type situation, where the local currency collapsed as store of value / medium of exchange. It's a lot more hassle for them to change USD into ZAR than it is for you to change USD into ZAR (expensive for them too) - so preferably pay them in ZAR.
Exactly right.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
These are typically poor people with extended families to support.
Not necessarily.

Years ago, I heard from the head ranger at an upmarket lodge that the basic salary for a guide was R 6,000.-- per month. The guides worked six weeks on and two weeks off. They went home with an average of R 35,000.-- in tips.

The minimum wage in South Africa is currently R 2,420,41 per month. Somebody who earns over twice that in basic pay and takes home ten times that amount in tips is not poor by local standards.

Johan
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The guide and tracker have no practicable remedy if they do not receive the money. Hence the need to pay them directly.
You seem to be of the opinion that lodge managers routinely cheat their staff out of their tips. I would posit that this is very rare. Getting away with it would not be easy, the guides and trackers are not stupid.

In over 25 years I've only heard of one instance where the staff suspected that the manager was taking a cut from their tips. They revolted and went straight to the owner of the lodge, who fired the manager.

I routinely add tips to my bill at lodges where I'm a regular repeat guest of long standing. It has never dented my reputation as a generous tipper.

Johan
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:35 pm

I said no such thing. It is far less complex and safer just to pay the tips directly in local currency. No misunderstandings. No potential "he said/she said" controversies. No currency exchange fees for those least able to manage them. Everybody leaves happy.

Congrats on having a good rep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.