Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

8 Days in South Africa: Garden Route + Addo or Kruger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN

Dear Africa experts,

We (all adults) will attend at the end of February a wedding in Cape Town. Thereafter we will have 8 days to discover South Africa. This will be our first time there.

Being already in Cape Town we plan to do the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth, which should take 4 to 5 days. The rest we would like to spend at a private game reserve. Initially we thought about the Singita Ebony Lodge at Kruger, but I am wondering whether we could have a similarly good experience closer to the Garden Route, such as at Addo National Park or another private reserve in the area.

Do you think Kruger is a must or can we have a good experience closer to the Garden Route? What are the best private game reserves at Addo and along the Garden Route?

For the sake of the discussion, assume price is not an issue.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
While I haven't been, I've spoken with a couple of people who have been to Tswalu Kalahari and have raved about it. I believe they have a package in which they will fly you free to/from CPT or JNB with a three- or four-nite stay.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you, it looks very good. However, I was looking for an alternative within driving distance (+/- 3 hours) from any point along the Garden Route between Cape Town and Port Elisabeth, to avoid long transfers to Kruger and to stay in a Malaria-free zone. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LUGlodo
Thank you, it looks very good. However, I was looking for an alternative within driving distance (+/- 3 hours) from any point along the Garden Route between Cape Town and Port Elisabeth, to avoid long transfers to Kruger and to stay in a Malaria-free zone. Thanks!
Have look at Shamwari Reserve - not far from Port Elizabeth and a variety of accommodation. I'm not sure if Forum rules allow me to post a link but I'm sure you'll find it on Google. Haven't visited Kruger but by all accounts it's in a different league. I guess it depends on what kind of experience you want but on an 8 day visit to SA going to Kruger will take a good chunk of the trip.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:18 am

I think Kwandwe is a far better choice than Shamwari in that area - no contest.

If you've never been to South Africa and only have a week, driving the Garden Route is a massively over-rated waste of time in my opinion. Better to explore Cape Town and its environs instead (you'll have the scenic vistas and great beaches of the Garden Route and way more, all with less dead driving time),and then fly to Kwandwe.

Last edited by ThudAndBlunder; Jan 5, 2015 at 11:24 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:13 pm

I spent seven days going from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town via Addo a few months back. I don't regret the trip, but the Garden Route is pretty boring for large stretches, and if the road is blocked due to some township protest, then you could literally be sitting on the road for hours. The upshot is that I had a chance to drive through a major township in a convoy of other cars.

Although it was my first visit to South Africa and my experience there is limited, I would not recommend the Garden Route as a place to spend precious travel days. Sure, Addo is worthwhile, but you only need two days in and out of Port Elizabeth. Better to spend your other time exploring Cape Town and the Western Cape, or going to another reserve for a different experience.

If you do decide to drive the route, pick up a data SIM card and turn on google maps for directions. I found Vodacom to have pretty good reception along the main roads. Beware of the speed cameras though which google maps will not warn you about.

I stayed overnight at

Addo Elephant NP
Jeffreys Bay
Mossel Bay
Natures Valley
Oudtshoorn
De Hoop Nature Reserve

Outside of Cape Town, which is in a class by itself, my top three destinations along the drive were De Hoop, Addo and the area around Oudtshoorn (Swartberg Pass) followed by Nature's Valley. Jeffreys Bay might be interesting if you're into surfing and big waves, but otherwise is just a pit stop. Same sentiment for most of the other coastal towns such as Plett Bay and Knysna that people associate with the Garden Route.

Having said that, I found food to be excellent (with the exception of Plett Bay) and affordable throughout the journey and the people extremely friendly.

If you go to Addo, I can recommend the Aardvark Backpackers and the organic restaurant next door which was magnitudes better than the sole restaurant inside the main camp at Addo NP.

De Hoop has game too but it is probably more famous as a place to view the Southern Right whale or hike one of the coastal trails. Best to have a 4WD at De Hoop though as the roads are in terrible condition.

Last edited by fallinasleep; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I spent seven days going from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town via Addo a few months back. .
To spend more time in Capetown, if one did the route what would be the minimum number of days that you would recommend to do the route from PE to Capetown?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I did a 3 day garden route to Port Elizabeth w/guide and one other guest. it is long drive and frankly I'd spend more time in wine areas and in Kruger as I was a bit disappointed - it's pretty but then the drives are long - I enjoyed Sabi Sand area and stayed at Inyati. Along garden route we stopped at Elephant Santuary which was up close/personal and the ostrich farm and caves. Capetown and surrounding areas were lovely - I spent 5 days there during my month in Africa
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
To spend more time in Capetown, if one did the route what would be the minimum number of days that you would recommend to do the route from PE to Capetown?
When I was checking into my lodge in Jeffreys Bay, the check-in guy was on the phone with a car full of surfers who were en route, same day from Cape Town because they heard big waves were expected, so you can probably get from PE to Cape Town in two days of driving. Of course, you're better off just flying PLZ to CPT at that point, if all you plan to do is drive non-stop. Besides Addo, my personal highlights between PLZ and CPT were De Hoop and Swartberg Pass (I also liked the small town of Prince Albert on the other side of the pass from Oudtshoorn), very scenic but demanding drives. This would mean four days of driving at a more leisurely pace.

I loved Cape Town and don't regret spending six days there. Weather was a bit unpredictable, so I didn't do everything I wanted to, but you can easily fill up a week based out of Cape Town. If you want to visit Robben Island, book that first, as they do cancel ferries if winds are too strong. If you want to hike up Table Mountain, try to avoid the weekends, and bring plenty of liquids. An early start is also a good idea; otherwise, you'll be too rushed. I read a "three days in" travel article a few months back, and the writer claimed to have seen everything I saw in and around CPT in three days. Perhaps he did, but most likely he didn't.

I didn't have time to visit any of the vineyards, but I think Cape Point is a must visit outside the city (I also went to Cape Agulhas which was a complete waste of time and effort). Don't bother paying for the funicular up to the current lighthouse, just walk up, it takes 10-15 minutes, and hike down to the original lighthouse if you have the time. It's a massive national park and you can easily spend an entire day there, hiking and driving around. Pack a picnic lunch though because food options are limited.

Last edited by fallinasleep; Jan 10, 2015 at 8:14 am
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The trick to the Garden Route is to zigzag. Instead of following the crowds and the traffic, take the spectacular mountain passes back and forth between the coast and the interior. There are numerous passes, ranging from very scenic to jaw-droppingly beautiful, and on some of them there is hardly any traffic. You may meet the odd boer in a bakkie, that's about it.

Needless to say, one should allow plenty of time for this. One or at most two mountain passes per day.

Johan
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
When I was checking into my lodge in Jeffreys Bay, the check-in guy was on the phone with a car full of surfers who were en route, same day from Cape Town because they heard big waves were expected, so you can probably get from PE to Cape Town in two days of driving. Of course, you're better off just flying PLZ to CPT at that point, if all you plan to do is drive non-stop. Besides Addo, my personal highlights between PLZ and CPT were De Hoop and Swartberg Pass (I also liked the small town of Prince Albert on the other side of the pass from Oudtshoorn), very scenic but demanding drives. This would mean four days of driving at a more leisurely pace.

I loved Cape Town and don't regret spending six days there. Weather was a bit unpredictable, so I didn't do everything I wanted to, but you can easily fill up a week based out of Cape Town. If you want to visit Robben Island, book that first, as they do cancel ferries if winds are too strong. If you want to hike up Table Mountain, try to avoid the weekends, and bring plenty of liquids. An early start is also a good idea; otherwise, you'll be too rushed. I read a "three days in" travel article a few months back, and the writer claimed to have seen everything I saw in and around CPT in three days. Perhaps he did, but most likely he didn't.

I didn't have time to visit any of the vineyards, but I think Cape Point is a must visit outside the city (I also went to Cape Agulhas which was a complete waste of time and effort). Don't bother paying for the funicular up to the current lighthouse, just walk up, it takes 10-15 minutes, and hike down to the original lighthouse if you have the time. It's a massive national park and you can easily spend an entire day there, hiking and driving around. Pack a picnic lunch though because food options are limited.

Thanks All. Will rethink my current itinerary. One complicating factor though is that I am keen on the overnight train, and it does not run every day.

As I will have ample time in game parks etc on the rest of my trip it is an equation just involving Capetown and Garden Route for me.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:24 pm

Quick plug for Kwandwe. Don't have enough time right now for full explanation. But, love the place. Great people. Gotten better over time. Quick search on FT would bring up my other comments re: same. IMHO - Perfect way to end a Garden Route trip. CPT-STB/Franschoek-Garden Route-Kwandwe.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Quick plug for Kwandwe. Don't have enough time right now for full explanation. But, love the place. Great people. Gotten better over time. Quick search on FT would bring up my other comments re: same. IMHO - Perfect way to end a Garden Route trip. CPT-STB/Franschoek-Garden Route-Kwandwe.
Thanks a lot, Kwandwe looks really nice and very practical for the rest of the trip, will try to book here!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA, SAA
Take a look at Gorah Elephant Camp, a private concession within Addo.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
Thanks All. Will rethink my current itinerary. One complicating factor though is that I am keen on the overnight train, and it does not run every day.

As I will have ample time in game parks etc on the rest of my trip it is an equation just involving Capetown and Garden Route for me.
Well fate has dealt its hand. The Port Elizabeth Route of the Premier Classe Train has been discontinued and the JNB to Capetown Route once per week schedule does not suit my timings. So that has eliminated the one way drive as a convenient option.

So will probably change now to flying JNB to Capetown to spend a week in its general area including the wine country.

Pity though as I was looking forward to the train trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.