Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JFK-JNB Direct in Economy or EWR-GRU-JNB in Biz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Hey.. so what would you guys do if you had a choice between:

JFK-JNB direct on SAA in Economy leaves 11am JFK and gets in to JNB at 8:15am +1. Lonnnng flight... 16 hours. Only time I've flown that long was JFK-HKG in first on CX so this would be rough. I'm not much of a plane sleeper either.

or

JFK-GRU-JNB in Biz, with a 9 hour layover in Sao Paulo. This flight leaves 12 hours earlier than the direct - 10pm, but gets in to JNB at 7:30am +2. Avoids a useless 9 hour layover at GRU and saves us the hassle of getting a Yellow Fever shot.

The onward journey is JNB-PLZ arriving at my safari destination.

Economy is half the points, less time spent, direct, etc.

What would you suggest?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:20 pm

I split the difference and booked SAA JIAD-FK-JNB Economy with miles-and booked JNB-IAD biz return. reserved seats in the 2 seat section and patiently waited for the flight to be over- definitely long but is allowed us to connect onward to WDH and arrive in daylight. the trip back- which required that dreaded stop in Dakar was really long but slept most of the way in business class.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:24 pm

If your two options are the ONLY two options, I'd choose the JFK-JNB route rather than the South American route.

Personally, I can't stand long layovers. What are you going to do during that time? Just get it over with and get on to JNB and your trip to PLZ / Game Reserve.

That said, you mention the inability to sleep on planes. You wont be able to sleep one night between JFK and JNB or two nights between EWR-GRU and the GRU-JNB. I'd choose the former.

Also, I've never dealt with the Yellow Fever issue. You shouldn't need it either way. But, I could be 100% off on that. I leave it to others whether that should be a factor or not.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. South Africa definitely requires the shot even if just transiting through any country with YF risk. Makes no sense to me since Sao Paulo is not a danger zone... but I don't make the rules.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Personally I prefer the non stop rather than a convoluted route. Usually I do ATL-JNB Economy+ on Delta, presumably about the same seat size?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
SAA has significantly more pitch than DL (33-34" on the 346, vs. 31-2 in E- on the 777LR). I've done the n/s, it wasn't bad (though I had the bulkhead).

The layover sounds miserable, unless you have somewhere to go.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I have done it a bunch of different ways in both Y and J, direct and with intended layovers and your best bet is the direct JFK-JNB.

SAA economy is a good product, be sure to book on the 2 side (either aisle or window-whatever your preference). Yep it is a long flight, but food is good and free wine, lots of good movies--usual US stuff, but lots of independent films along with European and Africa sub-titled movies.

Enjoy your safari!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:01 am

I'm a big guy. And by big I mean I'm kinda fat. I'd take J for the interesting route and more comfortable seats if I had the points or knew how to earn more. But get the shot if you do, I remember seeing a trip report of someone denied boarding in GRU or GIG for not having it.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:46 am

Just out of curiosity...will this be a paid or award ticket?

I didn't think transiting S. America is doable on awards to Africa, but I certainly like the possibilities that it would bring
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

It was an award ticket.. 100k UA points for a one way via GRU.

I went ahead and changed it to the direct. Fingers crossed that 2 biz seats open up! Any idea how far out and/or what time of the day SAA usually opens up any seats?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Personally the thought of 16 hours in economy is my idea of hell! I wouldn't be functional for days after arrival. I would far rather do the double leg in J even with the ghastly layover. But then again I have grown old and soft...

I have booked a similar trip originating in Costa Rica. The layover is annoyingly 24h05 which means it can't be booked on one award. But at least I get a day to rest around the hotel pool before the short overnight flight into JNB.

Originally Posted by drdavidge
Any idea how far out and/or what time of the day SAA usually opens up any seats?
Ha! The ways of SA's revenue management are even more mysterious than those of the deities.

Originally Posted by drdavidge
Thanks. South Africa definitely requires the shot even if just transiting through any country with YF risk. Makes no sense to me since Sao Paulo is not a danger zone... but I don't make the rules.
Not according to this thread which quotes Timatic as saying you have up to 12 hours in transit provided you do not leave the transit area.

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Aug 4, 2014 at 6:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.