Island Hopping off East Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

Anyone w suggestions on cheapest way to do this? Award options? RTW ticket? Something else? We want to go to Seychelles, Mauritius, Madagascar, Comoros, Mayotte, etc.

Any thoughts welcomed! Pls help!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
There is an Indian Ocean airpass offered by Air Austral in combo with Air Seychelles and Air Mauritius which services all the destinations you mentioned. You are required to required to purchase an international long haul ticket to the indian ocean on one of these airlines. There are 15 valid routings.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:08 pm

Don't forget Reunion, which offers beautiful alpine scenery that I don't believe you'll find on any of the other places mentioned. Also, if you like secluded, unspoiled, "off the beaten path" destinations, I would highly recommend
the island of Sainte Marie, off the northeastern coast of Madagascar (Air Madagascar flies there).

Last edited by dogcanyon; Aug 29, 2013 at 10:15 pm
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

Great responses!

Do you know if there's a way to get an award ticket for the long-haul flight to then get the Indian Ocean airpass? Would that count or does it need to be paid long-haul? Coming from NYC.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
There is an Indian Ocean airpass offered by Air Austral in combo with Air Seychelles and Air Mauritius which services all the destinations you mentioned. You are required to required to purchase an international long haul ticket to the indian ocean on one of these airlines.
That's not exactly right.

Passenger must hold a valid international Ticket to travel to the Indian Ocean region on either MK / HM / UU
The ticket does not have to be a revenue ticket. Nor does it have to be "long haul".
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:42 am
Original Poster

@austinrunner - what's the best (cheapest) way to book this then from the us?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:39 am
Suspended

Information about this pass:
http://www.airtickets.com.au/Tariffs...-09mar12-a.pdf
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I did see that. What's the cheapest way to get there though, especially given that you have to fly on UU/MK/HM? Award ticket to JNB? Award ticket to Europe? Trying to fly 12/20-1/5.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
That's not exactly right.

The ticket does not have to be a revenue ticket. Nor does it have to be "long haul".
"The Indian Ocean Pass allows any holder of an International long-haul air ticket to the Indian Ocean bought from any of the three airlines to benefit from reduced fares on their regional network."

I only quoted this from their own website so probably best to call the airline(s) to clarify, but it seems to contradict what you have said.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:54 pm
Suspended

I quoted the fine print, not a promotional website.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:27 am

Don't have any advice, but let me know how the trip goes!! I'm looking to do something similar
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:55 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I am interested to hear how it goes as well! I'm wanting to visit Comoros, Mayotte, Madagascar, Reunion, Mauritius, Rodriguez islands at some point. I've been to Seychelles previously.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
When I was on East Coast of Madagascar I looked into ferry service.
There was service to Mauritius then, but maybe no more...

http://www.mauritiusshipping.intnet....0132014No4.pdf

BTW... that trip was back just after the coup,
they had dropped the Visa Fee from about $80 to free.

At the airport Visa on Arrival desk
a lady wanted to sell me the $80 Visa,
but I asked if I could have the free one instead.

I couldn't understand her answer, but it was free.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:57 am
Original Poster

FYI - just executed this. Tanzania-Comoros-Mayotte-Madagascar-Reunion-Mauritius-Seychelles over 2.5 weeks. Was pretty awesome.

Everything worked out quite smoothly. If anyone needs help, feel free to ping me.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
FYI - just executed this. Tanzania-Comoros-Mayotte-Madagascar-Reunion-Mauritius-Seychelles over 2.5 weeks. Was pretty awesome.

Everything worked out quite smoothly. If anyone needs help, feel free to ping me.
What airline did you take from Tanzania to Comoros?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.