Search

Morocco: Seeking riad recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:28 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Morocco: Seeking riad recommendations

My mom, some of her closest friends, my aunt and I are planning a March-April trip back to Morocco. While we may return to some of the riads we've previously enjoyed, we're looking for new recommendations, too.

We will be in:
Essaouira
Marrakech
Fes
Chefchaouen (almost certainly staying in Casa Hassan, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who's stayed there since it was last renovated)
Tangier
Rabat

Three notes:
1. Not everyone is doing the full trip 25+ day trip. We'll probably have 4-8 people traveling together at any one time, double occupancy. So riads should have at least 2 rooms, preferably 4.

2. We're most interested in riads within the medina in each city (Fes al Bali, etc.).

3. One possible catch: The age range spans early 40s to late 80s. Some of the folks may be physically unable to stay in a riad that has a ton of stairs. Now, that wouldn't necessarily eliminate the riad from consideration (they'd probably just stay in a nearby hotel), but it would be nice to know if any of the suggestions have at least one ground-floor room or not-too-steep stairs.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:03 pm

My family and I stayed at Riad Kheirredine in Marrakech back in April/May. We had a great time and wholeheartedly recommend it. It is a bit of a walk from Jemaa el-Fnaa, but is within the medina walls and we never felt it was too far to walk comfortably, even with our two year-old daughter on my shoulders. The neighborhood around the riad seemed to be made up almost entirely of locals, which we found a nice break from some of the more tourist-oriented areas. The service at the riad was likely best we've experienced anywhere we’ve been and the riad itself was beautiful, comfortable, and impeccably clean. I don’t think there were any rooms on the ground floor, but there were at least a couple of rooms up no more than five or six stairs, none of which were especially steep or tall. I have no doubt the staff would be happy to help anyone up or down the stairs as necessary.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
My girlfriend and I stayed at the Riad el-fenn in Marrakesh and I would highly recommend it. A free hammam message was included in our stay which was great. It is in the city center, about a 10 minute walk from the main square. Fantastic breakfast for room service.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Wanted to bump this thread in hopes of getting some more recommendations...
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Riad L'Orangerie in Marrakech. Excellent.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed at the Riad al Badia in Marrakech last November. The service and facilities were outstanding. It's in the Medina with a relatively straightforward walk to the main square.

I seem to recall it was also almost directly facing the palace (or at least the palace walls).

They have a good website, are well-reviewed on TripAdvisor and are extremely nice people.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Where have you chosen in Essaouira?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Where have you chosen in Essaouira?
Boo...I'm having to sit this trip out. Not sure where they decided to stay, but I'll double check and get back to you. Are you planning a trip there?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Boo...I'm having to sit this trip out. Not sure where they decided to stay, but I'll double check and get back to you. Are you planning a trip there?
I'm trying to decide what to add to a Marrakesh visit. I've been to all the royal cities before and want somewhere new to me.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to decide what to add to a Marrakesh visit. I've been to all the royal cities before and want somewhere new to me.
I'd wholeheartedly recommend Chefchaouen, but they aren't particularly convenient to one another. How are you getting around?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:52 pm

We'll be driving.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I can heartily recommend this riad in Marrakech:

http://www.riadmurakush.com/
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I can heartily recommend this riad in Marrakech:

http://www.riadmurakush.com/
That looks delightful.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

That looks delightful.
Very friendly, and about a 10-15 minute walk to Jemaa el-Fnaa. Wonderful breakfast, and you can arrange to have the chef prepare dinner at the riad.

There is a big mosque right across the street, so you definitely hear "the call."
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

We'll be driving.
It's a ~6 hour drive from Marrakech to Chaouen. What city are you flying into/out of? Assuming you're flying out of Casa, the return would only be about 4 hours. But that's still a lot of driving.

I love Chaouen because it's a picturesque town in the Rif Mountains that's all blue. I think it has great appeal for photographers/artists and hikers, plus there are the expected shopping/wandering through the medina/people watching with a cup of mint tea options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.