Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Poaching rhinos / elephants, etc. Is it as bad as we are told?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poaching rhinos / elephants, etc. Is it as bad as we are told?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 10:21 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz
Original Poster

The story I quoted in the OP about the park rangers taking bribes and directing poachers to where the rhinos are is very alarming. It's also very recent. Perhaps this is not in the parks or even countries that you are discussing, but it is mainstream news and it certainly appears to be a major breakdown in the system. I don't really see the need to sling mud at another poster in this thread.

Regarding bribery-- Perhaps, in some areas of Africa, as in Mexico, the taking of "bribes" or mordita (sp?) is a commonplace method for struggling employees to make a few extra bucks to feed their families. What is unthinkable here in the USA (offer a cop a twenty to avoid a ticket) was pretty much a standard M.O. in Mexico-- at least for many many decades. It was (and possibly still is), just one acceptable way of operating- nod, nod, wink, wink and we all go on our merry way.

Until something gets brought into the limelight via the courts or media, no one of us can really tell, can we, who is or who is not taking bribes? Or paying bribes, for that matter... My crystal ball simply isn't that accurate.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingRhino
Johan what excellent news, it's just before midnight in SA, many thanks for the update. Might just have another glass of red.
I understand they were re-arrested for "immigrations violations", presumably because they overstayed their welcome in jail . No doubt this just an expedient to keep them behind bars. They are due in court again on Monday (tomorrow), hopefully somebody will have scrounged up an interpreter by then. I suspect that speakers of Vietnamese are not in ample supply in SA, and finding one without a rhino horn in his back pocket must be extra hard. Even Vietnamese diplomats are in on the game:

"In 2006 and 2008 the Vietnamese embassy in Pretoria was involved in a number of scandals in which senior diplomats, including a political counsellor, an economic attaché and the embassy's first secretary, were implicated in smuggling rhino horn. To date, Vietnam has failed to take any action against the diplomats."

Source

By the way, SANParks rangers shot dead a poacher near Croc Bridge last night. Two others escaped and fled back to, you guessed it, . . . Moz!

Johan
Old May 6, 2013, 8:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I suspect that speakers of Vietnamese are not in ample supply in SA, and finding one without a rhino horn in his back pocket must be extra hard. Even Vietnamese diplomats are in on the game:

"In 2006 and 2008 the Vietnamese embassy in Pretoria was involved in a number of scandals in which senior diplomats, including a political counsellor, an economic attaché and the embassy's first secretary, were implicated in smuggling rhino horn. To date, Vietnam has failed to take any action against the diplomats."
Your logic is impeccable.

Facts: (1) there were allegations 5 or 7 years ago about certain Vietnamese diplomats (2) the allegations were never proven.

Your assumptions from those facts: (1) the allegations were true (2) many to all Vietnamese in South Africa (not just the diplomats) were involved then and are involved now in poaching, even simple translators.

Congratulations.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
Johan, this is such a global issue, not just the subject of the OP's original post, sharks and numerous other exotic creatures are facing an uncertain future , it stretches deep and high from a poor person trying to survive to a multi millionaire and yes even high ranking officials, rhinos have apparently just been made extinct in Mozambique, gloomy but true, but there are amazing people striving to at least halt the speed of the carnage, lets hope for better news soon.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vietnamese Diplomats and Criminal Syndicates Implicated in Illegal Rhino Horn Trade

I know, I know, the allegations have not been proven. That's fine by me. I'm not a judge, just prejudiced. Vietnam is one of those other countries like Tanzania, where graft and corruption only exist in my imagination.

Johan

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 17, 2014 at 5:09 pm Reason: Removed deleted quote
Old May 8, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingRhino
rhinos have apparently just been made extinct in Mozambique.
And it is not just the rhinos. In recent years three mature male lions of my acquaintance have vanished without trace. And I don't even know that many lions.

Johan
Old May 8, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
even simple translators.
Yep, even simple translators!

"Hishaam Mohamed, provincial head of Justice, said on Saturday that “some of the interpreters” who offered their services had allegedly been “compromised, so the Justice Department did not want to make use of them”.

He added that the challenges faced by the department in obtaining Vietnamese interpreters included:

* The interpreters were often suspected of being influenced by those connected to the accused, and in some instances bribes were offered.

* Others did not pass security checks, raising further questions about whether they had also been compromised.
"

Source

Johan
Old May 8, 2013, 6:05 pm
Suspended

In recent years three mature male lions of my acquaintance have vanished without trace.
Lions and other wildlife often die without human intervention, leaving no trace. Not everything bad is caused by a criminal syndicate (or Vietnamese).

Last edited by Austinrunner; May 8, 2013 at 6:27 pm
Old May 8, 2013, 6:30 pm
Suspended

He added that the challenges faced by the department in obtaining Vietnamese interpreters included:

* The interpreters were often suspected of being influenced by those connected to the accused, and in some instances bribes were offered.

* Others did not pass security checks, raising further questions about whether they had also been compromised.[/COLOR]"

Source
Ah, selective quoting. The bullet you alarmingly left out.

* Vietnamese interpreters sourced in South Africa were often unwilling to assist.
Old May 9, 2013, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lions and other wildlife often die without human intervention, leaving no trace.
To be honest, one of these lionis most likely did leave a trace, it is now probably gracing sombody's trophy room. That it was shot by a hunter I know for a fact. That it was illegally lured across an international boundary, I also know for a fact. As for the others, the Mozambican locals actually admitted to killing one. The third I cannot say for sure, but everything points to an unnatural death as well.

Johan
Old May 9, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*Vietnamese interpreters sourced in South Africa were often unwilling to assist.
Yeah, and guess why?

It is probably not a good career move for a Vietnamese interpreter to help get a compatriot convicted, the embassy is bound to notice. Vietnam is a country run by a dictatorial and oppressive regime. Exploiting the population for their own gain is their speciality; nepotism, corruption and graft permeate society. What kind of people do you think a country like that selects to officially represent it abroad? Upstanding citizens who subscribe to the highest moral and ethical standards? Guess again!

I grew up in a diplomatic enviroment. Heck, I even spent nine months in a diplomatic womb. Take it from me, rotten countries staff their embassies with rotten diplomats. Vietnam is a rotten country.

Johan
Old May 10, 2013, 9:03 am

By Tshepiso Mokhema
May 10 (Bloomberg) -- Kalashnikov-bearing men slaughtered
at least 26 elephants in the Dzanga Bai World Heritage Site in
the Central African Republic on May 6 the WWF said, urging the
country to protect the animals after President Francois Bozize
was overthrown in March.

This is intolerable....this wanton jumping to conclusions has to stop.
Old May 11, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
Kalashnikov-bearing men
Oh boy! AK-47s? Must be Russians. Probably commies. Oh, wait a second . . . maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here. No, on second thought . . . I'm just prejudiced!

Johan
Old May 12, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
After seeing a poaching victim/survivor it is still a problem. Kariega had three rhinos poached in one night. Two survived the initial incident and one of those died about three weeks later. There has to be a solution, and I am not sure what it is, but it needs to be implemented sooner rather than later.

Last edited by RacingJunkie; May 12, 2013 at 1:58 am Reason: resize
Old May 12, 2013, 9:13 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz
Original Poster

These 27 forest elephants last week had the misfortune of living in a world heritage site that is located in a country of extreme instability. When a government is overthrown and there is no legal/justice administration system in place, chaos reigns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22486152
http://news.yahoo.com/elephant-poach...9RSksAYBvQtDMD

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-poachers?lite

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; May 12, 2013 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.