Wiki Posts
Search

DAR airport hotel options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
DAR airport hotel options

Mrs. Expatinglasgow and I will be in Zanzibar shortly. On our return flight, we have to leave DAR at 730 am. Is there a decent hotel to get some sleep that is close to the airport?

cheers,
Old Sep 25, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
To my knowledge all the decent hotels are in the centre of town. However at the time that you would need to set off for the airport there won't be much traffic so it would probably only take you 30 minutes in a taxi.

The best hotel in Dar es Salaam is the Kempinski; the Holiday Inn is also OK and is a bit cheaper.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
The bad news is there are no airport hotels, the good news is the distance from city centre is not bad although traffic can be a bit hectic.

I can second the recommendation for Kempinski -- it is outstanding. I'd book a hotel car instead of a taxi -- somewhat pricier but much more comfortable.

Cheers,
T.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
The Holiday Inn is now called the Southern Sun. For a short overnight, this is excellent value for money over the Kempinski. Either way you will be well looked after. Also if you leave for the airport at 6:30 am, little traffic.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:30 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
And there's a new Holiday Inn that opened in July 2009, also in the center of town (Maktaba / Azikiwe Street). I haven't seen the rooms, but I've eaten lunch there a couple of times. I hear the rooms are a bit small, but very nicely appointed. Rates are reasonable, I believe.

At the hour you'll be leaving (around 6 am, I imagine) it should take you no more than 20-30 minutes from downtown to the airport.

- michael
Old May 15, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Any current updates on airport hotels? It seems that at least motels are available close by http://www.transitmotels.com/googlemap.html Tripadvisor suggests it is not all that bad. Clean room is important, air conditioning is desirable, the rest doesn't matter much for a few hours stay.

I am about to take TK flight at 4AM after arriving from Zanzibar. It is too long to wait from last ZNZ flight 9pm until 4am in the airport. It is also a bit risky because it leaves no alternatives to get to DAR before TK flight. I would rather consider flying earlier flight or taking a ferry.

Transfer expenses from and to airport would make it $100-150. Advice on cheaper yet still reliable transfer for a big white guy would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:35 am
Suspended

The Landmark Hotel on Nelson Mandela Road is a good choice.
http://landmarkhoteldar.wordpress.com/rates/
Old May 18, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
The Harbor View is good, and they have their own private cars. Just don't go walking around downstairs at night!
Old May 21, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
If you're flying Coastal from ZNZ-DAR, check to see if Slipway Hotel will give you a free transfer - I seem to recall this being the case, but I'm not 100% sure...and it may have changed.

The Slipway is also a decent place to spend the late afternoon/evening before your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.