South Africa Next week - Choosing between Singita Boulders and Chitwa Chitwa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Executive, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum

Hello, my husband and I are doing a last minute trip to South Africa (we found a great deal on tickets). We have narrowed down to 2 safari options - Singita Boulders and Chitwa Chitwa (based on availability). I know there is a clear difference price wise, curious if the sightings are very different.

Thanks for your help!
Harini
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:29 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
You might want to communicate directly (Skype is your friend) with the lodges to see if they're open/accessible in light of flooding in the area. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...ands-area.html

We've stayed at Chitwa Chitwa and had an excellent experience. Singita is probably in a different cost category but ought to be quite spectacular.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Executive, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Thank you! We are working with a travel agent who said both lodges were open - we are not looking for an OTT experience, glad to know you enjoyed Chitwa Chitwa
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:59 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by harinig
Thank you! We are working with a travel agent who said both lodges were open - we are not looking for an OTT experience, glad to know you enjoyed Chitwa Chitwa
View from the door of our rondavel at Chitwa Chitwa:

Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
View from the door of our rondavel at Chitwa Chitwa
The view will be rather different now in summer, especially after the recent rains.

If you really need the luxury, go for Singita.

From the game viewing perspective, Singita will probably bend over backwards to accommodate special interests, take you on long drives or game drives at unusual hours, whereas Chitwa Chitwa will operate to a set schedule. You should get the same range of species, although there may be variations in abundance.

Johan
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: KL/PE, BA/Gold
Originally Posted by harinig
Hello, my husband and I are doing a last minute trip to South Africa (we found a great deal on tickets). We have narrowed down to 2 safari options - Singita Boulders and Chitwa Chitwa (based on availability). I know there is a clear difference price wise, curious if the sightings are very different.

Thanks for your help!
Harini
If you can afford go defenitely for Singita. Best service, best food, great winecellar, everything all inclusive including alle the premium wines, very well trained staff. Absolutely the best you can get.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dutchflyer2
If you can afford go defenitely for Singita. Best service, best food, great winecellar, everything all inclusive including alle the premium wines, very well trained staff. Absolutely the best you can get.
Possibly true, but definitely completely irrelevant to the game viewing experience, which presumably is the reason people go on safari?

Good restaurants, spas and wine cellars can be found all over the world, one need not travel to a game reserve to find them.

Johan
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! It was a tough call, but we went with Chitwa. We think we will be fine without the addnitional service...let us see how this plays out
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoy Chitwa, and please report back on your experiences. It has been years since in last stayed there. I enjoyed it. My funniest memory is of the guide and tracker getting out of the vehicle to study some lion tracks. They were unable to agree on which directions the lions had headed, but that problem was easily solved by a guest in the back seat, who simply pointed out the lions that were lying some distance away, in clear view.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.