Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Ethiopia

Did a search; didn't find much. Hoping perhaps someone has some recent recommendations.

I'm planning to travel to Ethiopia in November. I'd like to find a travel agent in Ethiopia to make arrangements. I don't want to do a tour and I don't want a guide with me every waking minute. I'd like someone with on the ground experience to make hotel reservations, plane reservations, arrange a guide when I want one (Laibelia which I can't spell, a short trek in the Simian range) a rafting trip.

I could probably do this all before I go and arrange things when I arrive, but I only have so much time and would rather spend it doing things than trying to figure out how to get somewhere when I'm there.

Any recommendations for a travel agent in Ethiopia?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: DL PM
Threre are a couple of trip reports on fodors.com re: Ethiopia and you can post this question there too. You also might want to post on the tripadvisor forum. It sounds like a fascinating destination!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
This is super high on my list as well but was always afraid to go alone as a chick. Now that I have a ring on my finger and a man on my arm, it may become a reality!

Please report back and let us know if you find a good travel planner / intermittent guide. We like to travel the same - guide for language and safety when necessary but otherwise want to do it alone and get involved in the local culture.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:30 pm

Any updates?

Originally Posted by manneca
Did a search; didn't find much. Hoping perhaps someone has some recent recommendations.

I'm planning to travel to Ethiopia in November. I'd like to find a travel agent in Ethiopia to make arrangements. I don't want to do a tour and I don't want a guide with me every waking minute. I'd like someone with on the ground experience to make hotel reservations, plane reservations, arrange a guide when I want one (Laibelia which I can't spell, a short trek in the Simian range) a rafting trip.

I could probably do this all before I go and arrange things when I arrive, but I only have so much time and would rather spend it doing things than trying to figure out how to get somewhere when I'm there.

Any recommendations for a travel agent in Ethiopia?
Hi, have you had any luck finding more information on travel to Ethiopia? I sent off several requests but got nothing back.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA,DL,AA,Hilton,Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott,Taj, Shangrila
I just started following the africa forum so sorry if this post is late. I used ENTTO based out if Hilton Hotel Addis when 3 ladies went on a private tour culutral tour about 6 years ago. They were very flexible and I didn't send any money in advance( way too expensive to wire money), paid only when we arrived. You can check them out at ethiopiatourandtravel.com

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I was just in Ethiopia.
The concierge at the Sheraton Addis was able to arrange hotels and guides for me in Bahir Dar, Gondar, Axum, Lalibela, and Dire Dawa. He did a very good job.
Incidentally, the Sheraton Addis is a fantastic hotel.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:54 pm

We just booked 6 days there as part of our honeymoon and have been in communication with a tour operator - Blue Sky Ethiopia. Does anyone have any experience with them? Reputable? Good?

Or have someone that they recommend?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:14 pm

Still in planning phase.
But so far the Hilton travel guy has been the most prompt with email replies and I will book with him. Thanks to traveler52!
Just a bit wary as he is giving me a "special very good price".
Also apparently he can book domestic flights cheaper if he has my international flight information.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by manodestra
Still in planning phase.
But so far the Hilton travel guy has been the most prompt with email replies and I will book with him. Thanks to traveler52!
Just a bit wary as he is giving me a "special very good price".
Also apparently he can book domestic flights cheaper if he has my international flight information.
I haven't even received an acknowledgement of my request that I sent through the website (ethiopiatourandtravel.com). Blue Sky Ethiopia are the only ones that have responded.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
I haven't even received an acknowledgement of my request that I sent through the website (ethiopiatourandtravel.com). Blue Sky Ethiopia are the only ones that have responded.
I tried maybe 3 companies (don't remember whether I tried Blue Sky), and the ones I tried didn't respond. Sheraton Addis responded within a day or two. It is baffling why such companies, who clearly need the money, wouldn't be more responsive. Maybe they aren't sure that someone will definitely show up, whereas a hotel concierge can see someone has a hotel reservation and so will presumably show up? Outside Addis, internet connectivity can go down for a few days at a time (happened while I was there).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:34 pm

This group followed up with me again today. http://www.lalhoteltour.com/
I had requested information a while back but decided not to go with them.

Not advocating for this group as I haven't done my tour yet, but here's the contact info at the bottom of the emails that are sent to me.
Ethio National Tour & Travel Operator PLC
www.ethiopiatourandtravel.com
Email [email protected]

Last edited by manodestra; Oct 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm Reason: add info
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by manodestra
This group followed up with me again today. http://www.lalhoteltour.com/
I had requested information a while back but decided not to go with them.

Not advocating for this group as I haven't done my tour yet, but here's the contact info at the bottom of the emails that are sent to me.
Ethio National Tour & Travel Operator PLC
www.ethiopiatourandtravel.com
Email [email protected]

hilarious b/c I wrote them back on 27Sep10 asking for pricing for the tour that they had sent us in response to our initial inquiry. have not heard a word back. sent a couple of prompt emails to see about a response, but those went unanswered as well.

at this point, we're probably having to go with the only tour provider that even bothered to respond - Blue Sky Ehtiopia - and hope for the best.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:39 pm

Ethiopia tour and travel

Still haven't done my trip yet, so can't comment on quality.
At least the person there at ENTTO (details provided in my previous post) has been prompt to answer my emails - within a day! He had asked me to call once to clarify details. Skype was 40cents/ min - expensive!
It has been like pulling teeth trying to get him to answer my specific questions but I think I know enough that it should all work out.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:40 pm

Lalibela

Given the general costs in Ethiopia, travelling there is relatively expensive as we have to pay non-resident fees. Flights were also relatively expensive - doubt any regular locals can afford them. Lalibela in the northern part of Ethiopia is absolutely beautiful. Saw the rock churches and it was also market day when we were there - absolutely fascinating. Hotel was supposedly "mid-range" but it was quite basic and we all had a few bites after a night's sleep. As for the tour group ENTTO, they were the most prompt in responding by email, the tour worked out, but as mentioned before it was like pulling teeth to get information. Some mis-communication, or was it just-the-way-it-was or a scam afterall (?) - at the last minute we ended up getting separate beds in a family room instead of separate rooms, and we were under the impression we would get a refund. No such thing and all I got was apologies for the confusion. Such is life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.