Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Where to stay in Johannesburg

Mid-September I'm heading to SA on holiday and I'm spending the first 3 days in Johannesburg. There is a lot of negativity about this city on the internet, but I believe it is essential to spend there a couple of days if you want to learn about South African culture and history.

I'm not a fearful traveler, but since I will be alone, security is one of my highest priorities. So I'm looking for hotels in areas that are considered the safest. I believe these neighborhoods are Rosebank, Sandton and Melville. Am I right?

Which is the neighborhood that offers the best balance between safety, nightlife and things to visit according to you?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by Riccardo92
I believe it is essential to spend there a couple of days if you want to learn about South African culture and history.
100% agree with you.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Rosebank. Had a great stay and met all our needs including security.

If you search several good threads here on FT with guide and/or things to see recommendations.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:38 am

The Hyatt Regency has been closed for over a year and doesn't seem to show signs of reopening. I booked the brand new Hyatt Place Rosebank that is a block from the old HR. I arrive on Friday.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:39 pm

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
54 on Bath is another Rosebank hotel to consider.
We've stayed there for 2 nights each on two separate visits before heading out on safaris.
Our rooms were comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the included breakfast was plentiful and good. There was also afternoon tea in the lobby.
The hotel is next to the Rosebank Mall and within walking distance of a large African crafts market.
The Gautrain station is nearby.
We hired a driver( in advance of our stay) to take us to the Apartheid Museum and to tour Soweto. On our second stay, we had a driver take us to the Cradle of Humankind which is about 30 miles outside Johannesburg.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acnev
The Hyatt Regency has been closed for over a year and doesn't seem to show signs of reopening. I booked the brand new Hyatt Place Rosebank that is a block from the old HR. I arrive on Friday.
I booked the Hyatt Place in the end. I hope you had a good stay!
And thank you everyone for your replies!
Nikongirl likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Riccardo92
I booked the Hyatt Place in the end. I hope you had a good stay!
And thank you everyone for your replies!
How was your stay at the Hyatt Place in Johannesburg?
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
In case acnev and Roccardo92 don't come back, there's a review thread for the hotel on the Hyatt board.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:34 am

I don't know what your budget is, but I strongly believe the Saxon is hands down the best in the Joburg. It is a bit out of the way (probably a 30-45 min. drive to the Apartheid museum), but it's an absolute oasis and a really beautiful hotel. The service was incredible as well. Again, not sure if fits your budget but if it does, I would highly recommend starting your trip there.

Edit - haven't had coffee and totally missed the date of the OP. I stand by my comment though lol
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Hijacking the thread for a suggestion about the Hilton Sandton? It's currently top of our list due to a corporate discount that usually makes Hilton the best quality/price. I read it's not the flashiest but as long as it's decent and in a safe area we'd prefer to spend more on the Safari and the food/nights out than the hotel.

Any leads welcome
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton is just fine and used by a couple of airlines for their crews (including, until recently, BA). You can easily walk to Sandton City or Mandela Square and it’s not that sketchy. They also have a shuttle bus too. The hotel is a bit old but actually in a good state of repair. No complaints from me on stays over the last 18 months.
listorganizer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:33 pm

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Rosebank which I chose for the location right next to the Gautrain station. The hotel was absolutely fine and felt very secure.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The Hilton is just fine and used by a couple of airlines for their crews (including, until recently, BA). You can easily walk to Sandton City or Mandela Square and it’s not that sketchy. They also have a shuttle bus too. The hotel is a bit old but actually in a good state of repair. No complaints from me on stays over the last 18 months.
We recently stayed in Joburg at the Hilton Sandton and agree with this assessment. It may not be newly renovated, but is an all around nice hotel, clean, fresh rooms, a couple of restaurants, large lobby, pretty sizeable breakfast buffet. I would stay here again if going into town or surroundings. There are several places to eat nearby and a shuttle to the mall. Walking around this area seemed fine, at least during daytime. We didn't go out in the evening, so can't speak for nightlife or how safe it is at night.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I’ve stayed at the Hilton a number of times and always been upgraded. A few times we’ve had a high clearance bush camper and they reserved a space in front of the hotel to park. The Marc is close with shops and food if you’ve forgot anything. Across the street from the Marc (by the banks) is a doctor’s office where you can get prescriptions if you need those (SA prices are much cheaper then other countries).
Old Sep 14, 2023, 7:31 pm

I'm staying 3 days before heading out to other places. Decided to stay in Waterkloof. Close to restaurants and bars. Menlyn, Brooklyn, etc... Will rent a car to check out other parts of the area. Will be staying at the Waterkloof Guest House. Maybe an option for you?
Old Sep 17, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btscott
I'm staying 3 days before heading out to other places. Decided to stay in Waterkloof. Close to restaurants and bars. Menlyn, Brooklyn, etc... Will rent a car to check out other parts of the area. Will be staying at the Waterkloof Guest House. Maybe an option for you?
Ummm that's Pretoria and not Joburg. Yes they are fairly close but if you drive at the wrong time it's a gonna be a slow boring journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.