Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

When does Aer Lingus open up award availability for BA (within Europe)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to make a number of BA award reservations on Aer Lingus flights for July of 2015, and there's no economy availability right now on any flights from Cork (ORK) to any cities I've checked (e.g., LHR, BCN, CDG, AMS). Does anyone know when Aer Lingus releases availability on these flights to BA? (And one other question--do these show up reliably on BA's award search, or do you really have to call BA to check on them?)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: 2015 kettle

I just know intra Europe flights are difficult to get.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
They simply don't open up award availability on shorthaul to partners.

You have to call BA to make all bookings on Aer Lingus. And BA would then have to request that seats be opened up, meaning they have to call Aer Lingus. And whether EI would want to do this without a corresponding booking on a transatlantic service is a matter of debate.

You are probably better off buying the flights outright from EI rather than trying to spend your Avios on them.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. On the phone, BA indicated that they thought they would open them up at some point, but I'm extremely doubtful now. I'll just buy them outright.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:56 am

I use the EI European network quite a bit and never would consider using AVIOS as you are always better just buying the cheap fares on the EI website. Just in case another option would be to make your way from Cork to Belfast by train or coach and fly from BHD using AVIOS as the miles are the same as if you were flying Ex LHR. Also I know a few not far from ORK who make their way to Belfast fly to LHR stopover for free then continue onto another EU destination all for the same price. Handy if you want to see two cities and even 3 taking in Belfast.

For some its too much hassle but others get some nice trips out of it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It is understood that Aer Lingus does not generally publish short-haul award availability. If a redemption request comes in, it is put to Revenue Management who decide whether to grant it or not. Most partner airlines will not generally place such a request.

Aer Lingus awards never show up on BA online search though. Always a case of having to phone up.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
If I book Aer Lingus European economy award using Avios, is one checked bag included or is it for an extra charge?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by elva
If I book Aer Lingus European economy award using Avios, is one checked bag included or is it for an extra charge?
Two :-) not kidding. I regularly book EI on SNN-LHR and the allowance comes up as 2 bags.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
They simply don't open up award availability on shorthaul to partners.

You have to call BA to make all bookings on Aer Lingus. And BA would then have to request that seats be opened up, meaning they have to call Aer Lingus. And whether EI would want to do this without a corresponding booking on a transatlantic service is a matter of debate.

You are probably better off buying the flights outright from EI rather than trying to spend your Avios on them.
I must respectfully disagree with this assertion.

I regularly book EI on SNN-LHR using Avios, and never have any problems with availability provided I'm fare enough out. I agree that you have to call BA to book (but they waive the phone booking fee, because it's BA's IT systems that are broken).

I'd also disagree that using Avios is bad value. SNN-LHR including a bag for £50 ow + 4500 Avios sounds good to me compared to the cash fare which is regularly £100 including the bag fee.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by stifle
It is understood that Aer Lingus does not generally publish short-haul award availability. If a redemption request comes in, it is put to Revenue Management who decide whether to grant it or not. Most partner airlines will not generally place such a request.

Aer Lingus awards never show up on BA online search though. Always a case of having to phone up.
Sign up for the Qantas FFP, and then you can log in to their website and see EI's availability - free. I just checked some random dates for DUB-FCO in Feb for example, and the availability came up.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by pmcgurk
Sign up for the Qantas FFP, and then you can log in to their website and see EI's availability - free. I just checked some random dates for DUB-FCO in Feb for example, and the availability came up.
Qantas shows me only Business Class availability on the Aer Lingus Amsterdam-Cork route.

I wouldn't get very far trying to book that via BA!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:59 pm

EI SNN-LHR on a Plus fare for one bag and seat selection is often around EUR71. So for 4500 + GBP£50 Equiv EUR64 I find it a total waste of AVIOS but horses for courses and all that.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
EI SNN-LHR on a Plus fare for one bag and seat selection is often around EUR71. So for 4500 + GBP£50 Equiv EUR64 I find it a total waste of AVIOS but horses for courses and all that.
If I saw it that cheap then I would of course agree! Last time I booked it was over €100 for a OW with a checked bag...
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Qantas shows me only Business Class availability on the Aer Lingus Amsterdam-Cork route.

I wouldn't get very far trying to book that via BA!
What dates are you looking at?

... And out of interest, why do you think BA wouldn't be able to book them?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
My mistake - having checked latest booking I made on this route it's GBP32.90 in fees, which is ~EUR42. Agree the avios benefit is marginal if the cash fare is 71. However, for the dates I want to travel next, a plus fare is EUR88, valuing 4500 avis at EUR46..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.