Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional Bag Fees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Question Additional Bag Fees

I am flying a short haul from DUB to VIE and paid extra for a 2nd bag. Now I realize that Aer Lingus policy says that I can have no additional weight with this bag. Can someone explain this to me? I can purchase up to 9 additional bags, but can not have any additional weight? I guess I would have been better to pay for additional weight instead of an additional bag.

"Maximum of 20kg (44lb) in total checked baggage weight per passenger, regardless of the number of bag fees purchased"
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
On short-haul, each passenger can book a maximum of 3 bags each (more can be carried but only on a space-available basis and 4th and subsequent bags cannot be booked in advance online).

A "Low" fare ticket includes no baggage allowance. A "Plus" fare ticket includes an allowance for 1 bag of up to 20kg. A "Flex" fare ticket includes an allowance for 2 bags, each of up to 20kg.

Buying any number of bags - whether 1, 2 or 3 - or buying a ticket that has a baggage allowance included - only allows you to check bags weighing up to 20kgs each.

Any bag that weighs over 20kg becomes subject to a further fee for additional weight - the allowance for a "bag", whether as part of your ticket or purchased separately, is limited only to 20kg per bag.

If booked online, the excess fee is €9 per kilo above 20kgs. If paid at the airport, the excess fee is €15 per kilo above 20kgs.

Aer Lingus - like all airlines - will not accept any bags that weigh more than 32kgs.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:42 pm
soy

Programs: various
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is a ridiculous policy. The costs for exceeding the 20kg limit are prohibitive and I have often used LH, SK, LX and BA when I would have preferred to use EI because these all give me an extra bag due to status. I would happily pay 30euro for an extra bag but not 9x20.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by soy
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is a ridiculous policy. The costs for exceeding the 20kg limit are prohibitive and I have often used LH, SK, LX and BA when I would have preferred to use EI because these all give me an extra bag due to status. I would happily pay 30euro for an extra bag but not 9x20.
Indeed they should offer 1 bag free to all GC members. Its the one thing I dont like about GC.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
I would happily pay 30euro for an extra bag but not 9x20.
Meaning a 4th, 20kg bag?

I wasn't aware that they would ever charge any bag completely at the excess rate. That's not the impression I got from their baggage page. If they have room (and I can't imagine it often happens that they can't fit any more luggage) it should go for the standard airport check-in fee, with the excess fee coming into play only if it's above 20kg.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:58 pm
soy

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Meaning a 4th, 20kg bag?

I wasn't aware that they would ever charge any bag completely at the excess rate. That's not the impression I got from their baggage page. If they have room (and I can't imagine it often happens that they can't fit any more luggage) it should go for the standard airport check-in fee, with the excess fee coming into play only if it's above 20kg.
The limit is 20kg but as a longtime GC, I would fancy my chances with a 25kg bag. My problem has been where I have 2 x 20kg bags.

I have never tested what would happen as the downside of them enforcing the payment for the second bag at 9€ per kg (€180 return) is too much risk for me. Especially when I am guaranteed the extra 20kg bag on so many other airlines.

All it would take is one awkward check-in agent, which is especially likely at out-stations
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rather than going to the airport with 1 bag more than your allowance, the smart thing to do would be to buy a 2nd bag allowance online for €15/20/25 in advance, depending on route or season. If you don't buy in advance, you will be charged the airport rate, which is double in most cases.

The per-kilo charge of €9 only applies to bags which weigh over 20kg. It's an excess fee which applies only to the amount of the excess over 20kg. In no scenario will they charge €9 per kg for the total weight of the bag. The first 20kg travels at a charge which can be as high as €40 if paid at the airport. So you always get the first 20kg at a rate of €2 per kg or less, and it is only the excess that is charged at €9 per kg. The absolute maximum you would pay, for a 32kg bag, is €40 (highest airport bag fee, covers 20kg) + (12*€9) = €148.

Better to limit the weight of the 2nd bag to 20kg, and place the additional 12kg in a third bag, which can be checked for a max of €40. Or for half the price if you buy an additional 2 bag allowances online.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I am looking at a DUB-AMS which has fares of Euro 68 and Euro 94. Low fare says 1 bag carry on allowance 7 kg; fee to check. I assume my bag will probably weigh 10-15 kg what would be the fee to check the 1 bag and carry on a small briefcase w/laptop? I assume it would be less than E 28 difference between the 2 fares which includes seat selection.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinfor...ion/#d.en.1222

€15 or €20 if booked online in advance of travel.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:20 pm
soy

Rather than going to the airport with 1 bag more than your allowance, the smart thing to do would be to buy a 2nd bag allowance online for €15/20/25 in advance, depending on route or season. If you don't buy in advance, you will be charged the airport rate, which is double in most cases.

The per-kilo charge of €9 only applies to bags which weigh over 20kg. It's an excess fee which applies only to the amount of the excess over 20kg. In no scenario will they charge €9 per kg for the total weight of the bag. The first 20kg travels at a charge which can be as high as €40 if paid at the airport. So you always get the first 20kg at a rate of €2 per kg or less, and it is only the excess that is charged at €9 per kg. The absolute maximum you would pay, for a 32kg bag, is €40 (highest airport bag fee, covers 20kg) + (12*€9) = €148.

Better to limit the weight of the 2nd bag to 20kg, and place the additional 12kg in a third bag, which can be checked for a max of €40. Or for half the price if you buy an additional 2 bag allowances online.
How do you reconcile this with the following statement from the website under baggage information......Maximum of 20kg (44lb) in total checked baggage weight per passenger, regardless of the number of bag fees purchased.

This conflicts with what you are saying, though in practice perhaps they turn a blind eye to the website rule.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly, I believe that's a mistake, if I hadn't made that clear in post #2 above. Even a Flex fare (2 free bags) contains that statement - 2 bags of 10kg each is all you get with a flex fare?!?! And a Plus fare allows 1 bag of 20kg?!?!

I checked 2 bags on an EI shorthaul on a Flex fare from Cork last December, was well over 20kg total, and wasn't charged any additional fees.

If EI really enforced a 20kg total for all passengers, then it's strange to have a two-step process of paying an additional "baggage fee" and then also an "excess fee". Does it sound realistic to you? Or is it more likely that, despite a possibly erroneous statement, the way the system is supposed to work can still be derived from the website?

If a second bag attracted not only a baggage fee but also an excess fee for its entire weight, then I think it would have been mentioned in the Price Watch consumer column of The Irish Times by now!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Honestly, I believe that's a mistake, if I hadn't made that clear in post #2 above. Even a Flex fare (2 free bags) contains that statement - 2 bags of 10kg each is all you get with a flex fare?!?! And a Plus fare allows 1 bag of 20kg?!?!

I checked 2 bags on an EI shorthaul on a Flex fare from Cork last December, was well over 20kg total, and wasn't charged any additional fees.

If EI really enforced a 20kg total for all passengers, then it's strange to have a two-step process of paying an additional "baggage fee" and then also an "excess fee". Does it sound realistic to you? Or is it more likely that, despite a possibly erroneous statement, the way the system is supposed to work can still be derived from the website?

If a second bag attracted not only a baggage fee but also an excess fee for its entire weight, then I think it would have been mentioned in the Price Watch consumer column of The Irish Times by now!
It's not a mistake. It really is 20kg (22kg for GCE) for all of your bags, however many you buy.

However, I understand that EI does not charge excess baggage weight fees around Christmas.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK- my bad.

Crazy system.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
what about baggage coming from long haul on a connecting flight long haul from San Francisco to Dublin and then onto Cardiff. Would they weigh the suitcase after taking it off the plane at Dublin before loading it onto the smaller plane that goes to Cardiff. ? Different allowances on long haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.