Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus to announce increased TATL premium cabin capacity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Originally Posted by Aviation Week
Demand is particularly strong in the business travel market, and the airline finds its long-haul, business-class cabin is becoming “too small.” The airline therefore plans soon to make an announcement about increased long-haul premium capacity.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Bye bye mini Y cabin on the A330-300's I guess
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:21 am

Yep the mini cabin is def gone , -300s to go to 30J( doors 1-2, then premium economy for 4 rows in a 2-3-2 configuration , increased legroom etc , then economy to start aft of here.
Not sure about the 200s yet but likely to remain at 24J but also with premium Y, however they generally operate the quieter business routes(snn-US, DUB-MCO and the IAD run )
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A new premium economy product! Can you tell us more - will it be the same "soft product" as economy (i.e. just roomier seating) or will it get different catering than regular economy also?

Any idea when the product will be launched, and what sort of premium over regular economy prices will it be sold for?

Good to have an EI insider posting here!!!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:26 am

As for soft product not sure yet but theres a new Y product being given a trial run this sun with plans to launch in june , big improvements there
Also there will be new J seats , fully lie flat and more pod like
The plan is the retrofitting will commence next winter as it's too late for this summer .
As for fares in premium Y it will be bookable online but I think EI are expecting alot of on the day upgrading and a price of 100 euro on the day has been mentioned but it's still early days on that
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:18 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by djpc33
As for soft product not sure yet but theres a new Y product being given a trial run this sun with plans to launch in june , big improvements there
Also there will be new J seats , fully lie flat and more pod like
The plan is the retrofitting will commence next winter as it's too late for this summer .
As for fares in premium Y it will be bookable online but I think EI are expecting alot of on the day upgrading and a price of 100 euro on the day has been mentioned but it's still early days on that
Very interesting. I guess the new J seat would have to be something like the CO seat in order to fit them in the space with 5 rows of 6.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As reported in today's Irish Times, Christoph Mueller, when speaking to Air Transport World, said:

On transatlantic routes, Aer Lingus’s business-class cabin “is always sold out before economy class”, he confirmed.

EI is also looking to buy slots at Heathrow that will have to be given up by the proposed BMI/BA tie up, which is expected to get clearance from the EC today. Apparently, because of the large "catchment area" at Heathrow, they want to grow their transfer traffic...but I can't imagine two many Heathrow-based passengers really considering Aer Lingus when they have a multitude of other options for crossing the atlantic.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I guess they could try to push the immigration pre-clearance, which is quite useful on the other side, but then I understand that closes in the afternoon (at least that is what I have read on FT, so it must be true!) so not sure how far they can push that...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

True...but it still seems a bit counter-intuitive if you are starting your journey from LHR, given that you have so many direct flight options. The time "saving" you make by arriving in the US as a domestic passenger is lost by the fact that you have to make a connection in Dublin rather than flying direct.

When flying from pretty much anywhere else in the UK, you would have to make a connection somewhere, so in that instance, connecting in Dublin makes sense given that you can clear immigration while there and save time on arrival. But it's less of a clincher if you're forsaking a direct flight from LHR...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
True...but it still seems a bit counter-intuitive if you are starting your journey from LHR, given that you have so many direct flight options. The time "saving" you make by arriving in the US as a domestic passenger is lost by the fact that you have to make a connection in Dublin rather than flying direct.

When flying from pretty much anywhere else in the UK, you would have to make a connection somewhere, so in that instance, connecting in Dublin makes sense given that you can clear immigration while there and save time on arrival. But it's less of a clincher if you're forsaking a direct flight from LHR...
That’s a good point, and being based in LHR something that most often militates against connecting in DUB if going TATL.

Having said that, I flew KL LCY-AMS-ORD and YYZ-AMS-LCY last summer, and even though I was flying in the wrong direction to begin with found it fine….and much cheaper in Y () than any of the direct options from London (something like £150 - £200 less, which is material for that class of travel).

So I guess if they can attract price conscious travellers through Heathrow it could work, but then LHR isn’t exactly a useful hub for that kind of activity!

Last edited by daftboy; Jan 17, 2013 at 6:03 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by daftboy
That’s a good point, and being based in LHR something that most often mitigates against connecting in DUB if going TATL.
[pedant]Militates, not mitigates.[/pedant]
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by stifle
[pedant]Militates, not mitigates.[/pedant]
Correcting my grammar from 9 months ago…!! But of course you are correct, I stand (tardily) corrected
Old May 17, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold,HH Gold, Flying Club Gold, SAS Gold
Does anyone have an update on when we can expect premium economy on ei?
Old May 19, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebouncer
Does anyone have an update on when we can expect premium economy on ei?
If you mean "Aer Space" - which is only for some shorthaul routes - there is a separate thread for that: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-l...an-routes.html. It may have been quietly dropped; it was supposed to be launched in the last quarter of 2015, but nothing more has been heard since.

Name:  Aer-Lingus-Aer-Space.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  117.5 KB

Aer Lingus has never announced or even hinted at a "premium economy" product on TATL.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
There has been talk of a premium economy on the A350 but given we don't even know if A350's are coming anymore its a bit like Aer Space, nice idea and nothing more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.