Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus Business - my experience so far

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

I have been wanting to try Aer Lingus Business Class for some time now, and am currently writing this from outside the lounge at Gatwick.

My route today is Gatwick - Dublin - Boston, Aer Lingus weren't the cheapest (that honour goes to Norwegian and Icelandair, who offer a different kind of business class) but were almost £1k cheaper than BA and VS. And it turns out that there's a reason for that, as Aer Lingus offer a different kind of business class too.

My journey started with the Aer Lingus app.
It's not very good, but after multiple attempts to reset my password and a few Twitter exchanges, I managed to log in.

For my flights, mobile check in was not offered so I went to the desk top website.

Seat selection (or re-selection) was not available so no opportunity to pick different seats. Oh well. That's not a hardship.

At Gatwick this morning, went to the Business Class Check In and was ignored by the one member of staff on duty, so joined the back of the Economy queue. I should add, I'm not one to make a scene. Quietly seething suits me ;-) and anyway, I don't like having to ask for something that I am entitled to, if that makes sense.

Boarding pass in hand, I notice that there's no Gatwick Premium sticker on it. I think the sticker is just for show, but it's reassuring, should the bar code fail.

Fastrak is anything but, but really, that's no hardship.

I have walked through the shopping area to the No.1 Traveller Lounge, where I am turned away, apparently my boarding pass is the wrong sort, and I should have known to ask for an invitation from the check in agent.

So here I am, people watching in Gatwick as the Aer Lingus Twitter feed has gone mysteriously quiet, pondering what my day would be like had I stuck to my usual Virgin Atlantic service.

Last edited by Sealink; Apr 7, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Priority boarding was not enforced
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
Priority boarding was not enforced
I flew through Gatwick with priority boarding three weeks ago, and due to the unusual way Gatwick board planes(pass doc check in to a waiting area, and then board), the priority boarding was only used at doc check to get us in to that waiting room, there was a separate queue for it that was served before regular boarding. Once inside the waiting area it was a free for all.

I think you should have a much nicer experience once you get to Dublin!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alancostello
I flew through Gatwick with priority boarding three weeks ago, and due to the unusual way Gatwick board planes(pass doc check in to a waiting area, and then board), the priority boarding was only used at doc check to get us in to that waiting room, there was a separate queue for it that was served before regular boarding. Once inside the waiting area it was a free for all.

Thanks! Any preference as to Aer Lingus or 51st Lounge in Dublin?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Landed in Dublin 10 minutes ago. Still no one to operate the jetbridge.

Aer Lingus are crap!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:06 am

If you start your journey with EI anywhere outside Dublin, don't expect a business class service before you get to Dublin. EI operates as a LCC in 90% of its network and pretends it's a 'normal airline' for the TATL routes. With that knowledge in mind, it'd be difficult to judge EI 'business class' before having flown the actual business class sector from DUB to BOS.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
If you start your journey with EI anywhere outside Dublin, don't expect a business class service before you get to Dublin. EI operates as a LCC in 90% of its network and pretends it's a 'normal airline' for the TATL routes. With that knowledge in mind, it'd be difficult to judge EI 'business class' before having flown the actual business class sector from DUB to BOS.
I am judging Aer Lingus on what they promise.

Fastrack security lounge access and priority boarding at Gatwick. I had my expectations of what they offer in flight in Europe

Last edited by Sealink; Apr 7, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I would still like to hear your view of the TATL J experience please if you have time to file on landing. EI often turns up as the least expensive way to get from ORD to London and other termini in Europe, in all classes, but I've never yet had a go. I can live with a DUB transfer to save $1,000+ but not if the flight experience is in-your-face mediocre.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Sealink

I have walked through the shopping area to the Clubrooms where I am turned away, apparently my boarding pass is the wrong sort, and I should have known to ask for an invitation from the check in agent.

If I'd paid for a business class ticket and some jobsworth refused me entry to the lounge because I had the wrong boarding pass, I would lose my sh*t..I mean seriously??
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AerClub Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, Hhonors Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hotels.com Gold, BA blue
Originally Posted by alancostello

They really need to improve this. The second the gate attendant comes on the intercom to announce priority boarding, everyone is up off their seat and it's just a giant bottleneck mess of people jostling to board.

That bus journey when you land from DUB is a pain too.
In saying that, DUB>LGW is generally a third of the price of a DUB>LHR.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
I would still like to hear your view of the TATL J experience please if you have time to file on landing. EI often turns up as the least expensive way to get from ORD to London and other termini in Europe, in all classes, but I've never yet had a go. I can live with a DUB transfer to save $1,000+ but not if the flight experience is in-your-face mediocre.
So far so good! Although they had no slimline tonic so my usual G&T replaced with a vodka and Diet Coke.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by phoneticduck
If I'd paid for a business class ticket and some jobsworth refused me entry to the lounge because I had the wrong boarding pass, I would lose my sh*t..I mean seriously??
That is certainly annoying. The lounge should have phoned EI handlers check in / ticket desk and arranged this so called invite for him.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I think it is worth saving the $1000 here, the J product is pretty decent and nothing I can remember would stop me from booking again except no mileage earning on AA. I typically book AAVacations to London and prices are somewhat close to EI using AAV plus I earn miles.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:09 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by cfo314
I think it is worth saving the $1000 here, the J product is pretty decent and nothing I can remember would stop me from booking again except no mileage earning on AA. I typically book AAVacations to London and prices are somewhat close to EI using AAV plus I earn miles.
Sure AAdvantage Earning will be with us soon. Now EI is back in OneWorld
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Credit where it's due: this is a superb flight (transatlantic) - and free WiFi too!

I actually did that rookie thing of finishing a lovely meal thinking it was the main course - to discover it was the starter! Pics will follow at some point!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.