Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

AerClub, Avios.com, and US Resident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

It seems that on signing up for AerClub one also automatically gets a sign up at Avios.com. I am a little confused about that as I thought Avios membership is for UK residents only. I don't think you can sign up directly without a UK address. Even so I clearly have an Avios member number and it appears one can transfer in BA Avios, search and book EI flights using avios without having to call BA, and even get free transfers of avios between family members by using the Family Account work around.

Is this all true or is there a glitch in the process? One thing I have seen mentioned is that added costs at Avios.com are more than one would pay having phoned and booked via BA. Another is that the Avios.com web page does not seem to allow a US member (there is a US logo on the page) to create a family account.

Any explanations of detail would be welcome.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Yes, signing up for EIAC also enrols you in Avios.com, even if you couldn't normally sign up for Avios.com alone. I don't have a US Avios.com account, so I'm not sure what features are available but you are indeed supposed to be able to combine your Avios to/from BA or IB.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.

I did manage to track down an answer. It seems that while a non UK resident can obtain an Avios account by signing up for AerClub, that the rules are different depending on where you live. One difference is that the household account is not available. They manage this by redirecting your web access depending on your residence of record in their files.

You can use this now to move avios around among BA, IB, and, importantly EI. Also it appears this is the window to booking EI flights using avios online even if your avios originally were earned at BA, for example. Now you don't have to call BA to book on EI. I am still not clear on what fees/"taxes" are charged by which route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.