Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

IAG Said to Seal Long-Range Airbus A321Neo Order for Aer Lingus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:59 am
Original Poster

IAG SA has sealed a deal to take seven long-range variants of Airbus Group SE’s A321neo single-aisle jetliner for Irish arm Aer Lingus, people with knowledge of the agreement said.

The transaction may be unveiled on Feb. 24 when British Airways parent IAG reports full-year results, according to the people, who asked not to be named as the details aren’t yet public. The company is likely to take the jets via a lease deal involving a new order from a third party, one of the people said.

The planes will replace four aging Boeing Co. 757s on some Aer Lingus flights to the U.S. as IAG renews the unit’s fleet amid increasing competition from carriers including Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA, which is establishing an Irish arm and aims to operate trans-Atlantic services using Boeing 737 Max jets.

IAG said on Nov. 4 that it had issued a request for proposals for the longer-range LR variant of the A321neo and planned to spend 400 million euros ($425 million) on switching to the model, which will complement the Airbus A330s that form the mainstay of Aer Lingus’s U.S. services.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-aer-lingus
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:26 pm

I guess that to some extent answers the question what the operational replacement for the 757 will be on thin TATL routes. I'd imagine these will go on SNN-BOS, SNN-JFK, DUB-BDL..

As long as they don't fly them in an all-Y LCC configuration, I don't mind.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
I saw when looking at options for a DUB-YYZ trip that they are replacing the 757 with an A330 - anybody know if this is just for the summer months?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I guess that to some extent answers the question what the operational replacement for the 757 will be on thin TATL routes. I'd imagine these will go on SNN-BOS, SNN-JFK, DUB-BDL..

As long as they don't fly them in an all-Y LCC configuration, I don't mind.
There was never any doubt that these - along with the Boeing 737 Max - were in the running.

Originally Posted by FlightGlobal
(January 2012)
Aer Lingus is the process of deciding whether it will opt for Airbus's re-engined A320neo family or Boeing's 737-9 Max to increase fuel-efficiency on its transatlantic flights.
I've seen no real mention of the 737 max in regard to Aer Lingus in the last few years, though.

When the subject was first broached by Willie Walsh, there was only ever talk of Airbus, it looked like they would just replace the 757s...and maybe for opening up new routes.

Originally Posted by Irish Independent
(May 2016)

Willie Walsh, the chief executive of Aer Lingus owner IAG, told the Irish Independent the airline group is examining a possible purchase of a new single-aisle aircraft type that would be able to reach the east coast of the US from Cork.

Mr Walsh said that IAG, which acquired Aer Lingus last year for €1.36bn and which also owns British Airways, Iberia and Vueling, is considering buying the Airbus A321LR, an aircraft that would be able to accommodate about 206 passengers, with 16 business class seats and 190 in economy.

First deliveries of the aircraft to airline customers are due in 2019.

"We're actively considering the A321LR for Aer Lingus," said Mr Walsh.
However, later remarks throw that all up in the air

Originally Posted by Irish Independent
(July 2016)
Mr Walsh has previously said the long-range, narrowbody aircraft could be used to fly from Cork to the US, for instance. But its introduction would also serve to strengthen Dublin's position as a transatlantic hub, he said.

"We think the (A321 LR) is particularly interesting for Aer Lingus on the transatlantic," said Mr Walsh. "It will allow Aer Lingus to operate double frequencies on flights.

"So instead of having one A330, you could have two A321s. The advantage of that is that it makes the (Dublin) hub much stronger. It gives additional flexibility for people to connect from Dublin. That's particularly attractive."
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Reuters
IAG has just approved an eighth A321LR for Aer Lingus and could go as high as 12, Walsh said, adding that the plane was also of interest for British Airways and Iberia.

“It’s not a transatlantic aircraft, but it does have good range and could work for us in both Iberia and British Airways,” he said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.