Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

70 minutes layover AMS-DUB-ORD with Aer Lingus, it's doable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I have to take a flight in a few days, bought on Aer Lingus website as RT one ticket. This flight is AMS to DUB to ORD (final destination). Everything seems great but I'm very concerned about the stopover/layover from DUB to ORD.

I have 1h10m to transfer myself from plane to plane. I watched the videos from Dublin Airport for having an idea of how much time I need and what I have to do to get to the transition area and all the pre-clearance stuff.

My concern is that in the videos you can see 3 stops. Passport check to access the transfer flight area, CBP/Pre-Clearance and just after, the final security check (hand luggage check and "body check").

Aer Lingus told me that it's plenty of time and I can do it, but I don't think so. It's really really really too thight. 70 minutes, 3 security/cbp/check stops, at least 10 minutes walk. Sounds bad.

I want to ask to any of you if you have take a flight like this and your experiences. Could I make it?

Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:06 am

It is a valid connection and sold all the time. Personally I would be happy with two hours but that is just me. No one can predict delays to inbounds but it is certainly doable subject to AMS-DUB arriving on time.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Assuming the inbound flight is not significantly delayed you will be fine. Connecting T2-T2 at Dublin is pretty seamless. Once you make it to the USPC queue you will be called out of line if your flight is departing imminently.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus
Assuming the inbound flight is not significantly delayed you will be fine. Connecting T2-T2 at Dublin is pretty seamless. Once you make it to the USPC queue you will be called out of line if your flight is departing imminently.
Thanks for the info. An officer of the CBP or a security airport worker will call out of line for a specific flight? I'm a little hear impaired and english it's not the best. There's some visual warning of this "calling out of line"?

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is only one "line" for USCBP...all flights departing for the USA leave from a separate area (Gates 401-406, downstairs from the main T2 departure level, just follow the signs for US Customs and Border Preclearance, you can't miss it) and everyone is processed together. On the departure screens, each individual US flight will eventually change to show the message "Go to Preclearance" rather than "Go to Gate 412" or whatever would be the normal message when it is time for them to start doing so. For you, you would go straight there after arriving from Amsterdam.

Don't be too worried. It's a simple and straightforward procedure. Even if you are running late, remember that Aer Lingus has two flights to Chicago each day.

if you've not already seen it, there is a video showing the basic process on this page. It's intended for people departing directly from Dublin, so the bits about checking in with the airline and going through "regular" security don't apply to you. When you arrive from Amsterdam, when you get to the lines where passports are checked, keep to the left, and follow the transfer signs. This will bring you to a separate passport/security check, and allow you to directly access the T2 departures area. From there, you follow the US flag signs to USCBP.

You can even download, complete, and print out your customs declaration in advance so you won't need to stop to fill out any paperwork en-route.

I'm doing the exact same journey next year - so don't worry. Lots of people connect at DUB.

Last edited by irishguy28; Dec 20, 2016 at 2:46 am
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is only one "line" for USCBP...all flights departing for the USA leave from a separate area (Gates 401-406, downstairs from the main T2 departure level, just follow the signs for US Customs and Border Preclearance, you can't miss it) and everyone is processed together. On the departure screens, each individual US flight will eventually change to show the message "Go to Preclearance" rather than "Go to Gate 412" or whatever would be the normal message when it is time for them to start doing so. For you, you would go straight there after arriving from Amsterdam.

Don't be too worried. It's a simple and straightforward procedure. Even if you are running late, remember that Aer Lingus has two flights to Chicago each day.

if you've not already seen it, there is a video showing the basic process on this page. It's intended for people departing directly from Dublin, so the bits about checking in with the airline and going through "regular" security don't apply to you. When you arrive from Amsterdam, when you get to the lines where passports are checked, keep to the left, and follow the transfer signs. This will bring you to a separate passport/security check, and allow you to directly access the T2 departures area. From there, you follow the US flag signs to USCBP.

You can even download, complete, and print out your customs declaration in advance so you won't need to stop to fill out any paperwork en-route.

I'm doing the exact same journey next year - so don't worry. Lots of people connect at DUB.
Thanks for the info, it helped a lot. Hope it will be easygoing.

Do you know by experience how many stops I'll do? By stops I mean passport check, security check, hand luggage check or any kind of inmigration/customs process that will make my walk to halt.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
AFAIK, the paper customs form is no longer in use in Dublin. I haven't seen it for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.