Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 significant schedule change - €20 fee for ticket refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT

I hope someone can clarify this. I had a multicity ticket booked through an OTA. Aegean have cancelled one of the segments and rescheduled me. The new schedule was spread across 2 days requiring an overnight stay in Athens so I refused the new routing as it constituted a significant change. OTA came back to me saying that Aegean will refund the fare minus their (Aegean's) €20 refund fee. EC 261 states in Article 8 that reimbursements should be at the full price of the ticket at which it was bought. Can they legally charge the €20 fee for ticket cancellations instigated by the airline?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
In a similar situation Aegean refunded my ticket fully and without fee. Purchased online at their own website though.

I'd say that the fee should not apply. However the OTA may charge a fee. Are you sure the fee they quoted was from Aegean, and not one of their own fees?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Definitely the airline's cut. I will get back to them quoting the Regs.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
If the change happened more than 14 days before departure, you have the right of a full refund acc EU 261.

Challenge your OTA, it's your single point of contact for the refund!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:29 pm

You are due a full refund from the airline. If the OTA had have wacked on a EUR20 fee for booking then that would be non refundable. In this case though from what you have provided its all airline fees so call up and get it waived.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Turns out it is in fact the OTA subtracting €20 management fee. Oh well, lesson learnt for the future to always book directly with the airline.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by palcsaky
Turns out it is in fact the OTA subtracting €20 management fee. Oh well, lesson learnt for the future to always book directly with the airline.
For some multi city itineraries it is not always possible to book with A3. So it depends on whether you want to save from the airfares or not.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I book most of my tickets through OTAs and it has never happened to me that they would charge their service fee for changes due to schedule change by the airline. The only limitation I have experienced is that OTAs are not flexible in options, i.e., they are not willing to discuss with the airline your status and e.g. different routing. But they have always offered me some option + usually managed checking my suggested option with the airline. And when an OTA failed, the airline helped.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: A3*G
Is it appropriate to share with us which OTA is this?
(Then, fellow FlyerTalkers will be aware of these fees in the future!)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

it.lastminute.com
However, €20 is actually quite low compared to what some other OTAs charge (€30-€60)
LM offered a voucher in the full value of the refund valid for 12 months which I accepted.

Last edited by palcsaky; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:02 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: *G
Personally I would've disputed the charge with my credit card issuer if they didn't offer a FULL refund within 2 emails.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studentCPH
Personally I would've disputed the charge with my credit card issuer if they didn't offer a FULL refund within 2 emails.
The dispute would get declined. The T&Cs that I ticked and agreed with before submitting payment mention the fees.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:23 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The dispute would get declined. The T&Cs that I ticked and agreed with before submitting payment mention the fees.
Thats right, because it was part of the deal. Some people go to the chargeback option way too fast - which often does not only break the deal they had with the seller, it also incurs a huge penalty for said seller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.