Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on in VIE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Carry on in VIE

Flying VIE ATH CAI in Business with a roller bag and a backpack. Have heard nightmare stories about "carry on police" that are outsourced goons checking your bags before one goes through security.

All the stories I have heard are related to flying on Austrian but I imagine they would harass Aegean passengers also as it's the same security line? Should I just tell them I'm flying Aegean and they won't be able to stop me?

Any experiences would be appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:29 am

There's no "carry-on police" in T1 from where A3 flights are departing (pier west, C gates), carry-on is only checked in front of the security control in T3.

Last edited by AUA772; Apr 17, 2017 at 12:39 am
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:01 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
In any case, as long as you comply with the rules regarding size & weight (for the Aegean flight) I would expect you to be fine. It cannot be the case that Aegean says you are allowed 2 bags and that the airport makes you check one of them because Austrian has different rules!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by AUA772
There's no "carry-on police" in T1 from where A3 flights are departing (pier west, C gates), carry-on is only checked in front of the security control in T3.
Thank you, this is a relief.

Would that be possible to access Austrian Business lounge after security or are we confined to Jet lounge, meaning are concourses C and F connected without additional screening after security?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:12 am

There is an airside bus from F to C, but if I remember correctly only once every 15 minutes. In case you miss it is faster to walk to C, even though you have to go through security control once more.
Anyways, if I were you I would use Jet lounge, there is almost no difference to OS Senator let alone Business lounge - all three of them are nothing to write home about...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:09 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by AUA772
If were you I would use Jet lounge, there is almost no difference to OS Senator let alone Business lounge - all three of them are nothing to write home about...
Agree. Not worth the effort.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
The only difference I noticed in the Senator Lounge was a hot option for breakfast (scrambled eggs if I remember correctly!). The lounges at Vienna really are the pits.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you all, will stick to Jet lounge
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
I dont want to scare you, but I have witnessed twice very strict hand-luggage checks right in the gate in VIE when flying, they were even weighing the bags... and there was a lot of arguing with PAX about it
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AY+Plat
I was connecting through VIE 2 days ago having both arrival and departure on T1, C gates. No carry on check but there was no lounge in gate area. Jet lounge was before security, not very useful.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:33 pm

Yes, in T1 Schengen area is no ounge after security.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Dear All,

Do you mind if I use this thread to post a question regarding lounge access at VIE ?

I am flying on the VIE-ATH near Christmas with family on A3 business class (our membership status is *B).

I understand based on the above posts that A3 is flying out from T1, Gates C.

We really don’t care whether there are better lounges in other Terminals. We only look forward to get what is offered for our flight in T1, Gates C, irrespective if this is situated before or after security checks.

In view of the above can someone name to me please the name of the relevant lounge ?

Appreciate a lot your assistance to this matter. Thanking you in advance.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Note that earlier posters have stated that there is no lounge after security in the T1 area. They have also called it the "Jet Lounge", which is confirmed by theVienna Airport website.

What is *B? The usual acronyms are *S for Star Silver and *G for Star Gold.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Great! Thank you very much for your help. By *B I mean that we only have the Blue Membership of M+B. The reason I provided this info was just to show that we will be unable to use lounges that are accessible to *G members.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I see that the snacks are provided by Do & Co, so you should be in for a treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.