Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

M+B Zero Miles for Lufthansa "Business Basic" fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G

I don't really understand the logic for M+B to give zero miles for Lufthansa "Business Basic" fares (discounted Business, LH "P" booking class).

Yes, I get that it is a discounted fare, but it earns ZERO even though it costs much more than LH economy and even discounted economy fares that do earn M+B.

Is this an Aegean marketing decision, or a Lufthansa marketing decision?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RocketmanBRU
I don't really understand the logic for M+B to give zero miles for Lufthansa "Business Basic" fares (discounted Business, LH "P" booking class).

Yes, I get that it is a discounted fare, but it earns ZERO even though it costs much more than LH economy and even discounted economy fares that do earn M+B.

Is this an Aegean marketing decision, or a Lufthansa marketing decision?
LH decision, probably to control cost.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
The operating carrier (LH) pays the mileage program (M&B) for crediting miles, thus LH's decisicon!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Jma12
LH decision, probably to control cost.
LH SCORE
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Is this a world first, airline giving 0 points for their own business class? It has to be...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nk15
Is this a world first, airline giving 0 points for their own business class? It has to be...
Lufthansa has had a number of world firsts. None of the recent ones have been positive. If I must fly them, then Economy exit row instead of business P. If they gave M+B it would be different.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Giving miles for taking a flight is part of the airline's way to get you to fly with them. However when the airline is selling you a cheap economy or business fare they understand that you will buy the ticket even with no miles offered due to the low fare for the class of service offered, either cheap economy because it's just cheap, or business, because you get a cheap flat bed or a cheap business class in general. So no enticement is needed.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH in Europe and DL in the US are leading the race to the FFP bottom.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
The most common use of P class by Lufthansa is in paid business upgrades of low fare bucket economy tickets. What is pure dumb is that S and W class are included among the fares that upgrade into P (as opposed to Z). These fares normally earn 500 miles on intra-European flights, but Aegean M&B cardholders get nothing when they pay to be upgraded.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Giving miles for taking a flight is part of the airline's way to get you to fly with them. However when the airline is selling you a cheap economy or business fare they understand that you will buy the ticket even with no miles offered due to the low fare for the class of service offered, either cheap economy because it's just cheap, or business, because you get a cheap flat bed or a cheap business class in general. So no enticement is needed.
I for one disagree its not that cheap and I for one stopped flying LH completely due to these types of fares

I just choose similar priced flights with better airlines that give points that entice me

Granted some will play LH's games but some will not...

No different then AAs decision to move QRs discount Js to only 100% earning...

But this is one of the reasons star alliance lost most of my business 3 years ago, just too many non earning fares out there. I dont expect full earnings on discount fares but zero just doesnt work for me!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are cheap and lame. Of course, they are the same people who wanted to pay only 25k euros for each of the dead their suicidal pilot killed, so no surprises here.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Lufthansa, say no more!

Tight gits.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:27 am

This is a very effective way to weaken more competetive frequent flyer programs like M&B or TK M&S. LH is simply not paying these other programs for these booking classes (there is a whole list in Economy too btw: K, L, T, etc). That way frequent travellers that are budget minded and not wasting their employer's money on expensive tickets have only one way to use Miles&More to credit miles and segments - and that in return kills the competing programs over time. Very clever to protect a market dominant position.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Donegal
This is a very effective way to weaken more competetive frequent flyer programs like M&B or TK M&S. LH is simply not paying these other programs for these booking classes (there is a whole list in Economy too btw: K, L, T, etc). That way frequent travellers that are budget minded and not wasting their employer's money on expensive tickets have only one way to use Miles&More to credit miles and segments - and that in return kills the competing programs over time. Very clever to protect a market dominant position.
This is indeed shady, but it won't work, despite the size of the LH group in star alliance. It is still easy to avoid them completely, especially if you can credit to second alliance as well. Unless you are in Germany/Switz/Austria, of course, which I am guessing is their target group.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:26 pm

The Lufthansa Group does not want your business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.