Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cobalt Aero starting in Larnaca

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Cobalt Aero starting in Larnaca

Cobalt Aero sa new Cyprus-based carrier, using the former Continental code CO.

Summer flight plan according to
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267513/cobalt-outlines-scheduled-operations-in-16q3/
is this:

eff 07JUL16 Larnaca – Athens 2 daily
eff 07JUL16 Larnaca – London Stansted 6 weekly (Day x3)
eff 07JUL16 Larnaca – Manchester 2 weekly (Day 47)
eff 08JUL16 Larnaca – Chania 2 weekly (Day 57, switching to Day 35 from Aug 2016)
eff 08JUL16 Larnaca – Irakleion 2 weekly (Day 25; Day 26 from HER)
eff 08JUL16 Larnaca – Thessaloniki 4 weekly (Day x247)
eff 09JUL16 Larnaca – Dublin 2 weekly (Day 36)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

I looked at Dublin-Larnaca-Dublin. Currently bookable until Sept 3rd.

Price is nice - I've seen €125 return. I don't know if that is the lowest. One 20kg piece of checked luggage costs €30 per direction. :-(

Add 2.5% for all currently accepted payment methods.

The ITA Matrix app does not list those flights (yet?).
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:10 pm

If you always have to add 2.5% with all accepted payment methods, why don't they include that in the price? It's not much, of course, but it's the philosophy that really bothers me...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
If you always have to add 2.5% with all accepted payment methods, why don't they include that in the price? It's not much, of course, but it's the philosophy that really bothers me...
They say they will be adding additional payment methods in the future. The fee may eventually vary.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
Isn't it still free if you use a M&B branded credit card (I think there is one Greek and one Cypriot bank that offer these)?

And anyway, don't knock the 2.5% fee - it used to be a flat 8 Euro per booking, so as high as 15% for cheap domestic flights! This isn't allowed in many countries (it has to reflect the true card processing costs) They were one of the last airlines to stop this - I used to complain to them after every booking I made (and never got a sensible reply) but usually just used an OTA instead.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Isn't it still free if you use a M&B branded credit card (I think there is one Greek and one Cypriot bank that offer these)?
I really doubt that a startup airline would not pass on the merchant fees charged by the credit card companies, just because you use an Aegean branded credit card....they will be delighted for your custom, of course, but until they start issuing their own branded credit cards (!) all such cards look (and cost) the same to them.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:38 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

And anyway, don't knock the 2.5% fee - it used to be a flat 8 Euro per booking, so as high as 15% for cheap domestic flights! This isn't allowed in many countries (it has to reflect the true card processing costs) They were one of the last airlines to stop this - I used to complain to them after every booking I made (and never got a sensible reply) but usually just used an OTA instead.
I think you may be talking about Aegean rather than the new Cobalt air? Aegean has now completely removed the payment fees for all types of cards.

Cobalt air has been operating for a little while already, see this video of their first flight:

The guy that posted that video is based at LCA and posts a ton of Cyprus and Greek airline videos, in case someone is interested in that sort of thing

Last edited by Xandrios; Jun 23, 2016 at 2:45 am
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I saw the name, I wondered if Air France/KLM had a hand in this. They own Cobalt Ground Solutions, a ground handling company based at Heathrow and formed from a merger of both airlines' previous ground handling efforts there.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I think you may be talking about Aegean rather than the new Cobalt air? Aegean has now completely removed the payment fees for all types of cards.

Cobalt air has been operating for a little while already, see this video of their first flight:

Cobalt Air First Flight - A320 from LCA to ATH - New Airline's Inaugural Flight - GoPro Wing View

The guy that posted that video is based at LCA and posts a ton of Cyprus and Greek airline videos, in case someone is interested in that sort of thing

Yes, my apologies - I managed to let my mind drift midway thorough the thread. Of course I was talking about Aegean. And I didn't realise A3 had completely removed payment fees so it was a mistake worth making (for me at least).
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:22 am

Yes, my apologies - I managed to let my mind drift midway thorough the thread. Of course I was talking about Aegean. And I didn't realise A3 had completely removed payment fees so it was a mistake worth making (for me at least).
And A3's fee was never valid for all forms of payment.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Manchester round trip can be had for ‎£75- ‎£80 pounds Round Trip. (Meaning MAN - TLV could be done cheap )
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:33 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Dutch news is reporting that Cobalt's CEO has resigned. Mr Andrew Pyne will be replaced by Andrew Madar.

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuw...an-aan-de-kant

Not a great sign so early after starting service..
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your name is Andrew, submit a CV to Cobalt.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Dutch news is reporting that Cobalt's CEO has resigned. Mr Andrew Pyne will be replaced by Andrew Madar.

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuw...an-aan-de-kant

Not a great sign so early after starting service..
Like I said before make sure you have insurance and that your Visa card covers you for collapse!!
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:44 am

Cobalt Manchester flight returns to Larnaca 50 minutes after departure

Cobalt air flight CO0516 that departed for Manchester at 11.10am on Sunday returned to Larnaca airport and landed at around 12pm after the captain after the captain noticed a problem during take-off concerning the retraction of the aircraft’s wheels.
A spokesman for the air carrier said that it was not a technical problem and that it was a matter of precaution.

According to twitter reports, the airplane was circling for 45 minutes over Larnaca airport to burn off fuel and landed at around 12pm.

“The captain noticed there was a mistake in the computer frequency concerning the retraction of the wheels and as the plane was still on take-off, he deemed it was best to return and have it thoroughly checked,” Cobalt’s chief corporate officer Philokypros Roussounides told the Cyprus Mail.

He reiterated that the company’s motto is “safety first” despite additional costs and delays.

“Our captains have clear instructions to land at any cost at the nearest airport in order to make necessary checks if they deem it is necessary,” Roussounides said.

The flight was initially scheduled to fly to Manchester at 6am, but it departed at 11.10am instead following a delay in the company’s flight schedule caused by an emergency landing of another Cobalt flight flying from Thessaloniki to Larnaca on Saturday but which landed at Athens’ Eleftherios Venizelos International airport, after encountering cabin decompression problems. Saturday’s flight was with an Airbus 320, operated by Everjets on behalf of Cobalt.

“The plane was flying over Athens at the time, and the captain deemed best to land at the airport there to have it checked,” he said.

The company was not in a position at the moment to say when the check will be completed and when the aircraft will depart for Manchester.

Cobalt crews at the Larnaca Airport informed passengers, he said, while other arrangements will be made, depending on how long the check will take.

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/08/21/co...tes-departure/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.