Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Spending award miles on other airlines [SQ]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Iīve been trying to use the feature on the website to spend miles for my already booked plane ticket on Singapore Airline, but it shows unexpected error on the webpage, does anyone have any experience prior to this, or is it easier to just call in about upgrading a seat?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:34 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Only the very highest fare classes (i.e. fully flexible) can be upgraded on SQ. The website usually gives this message when you are booked into a fare class that's below this, so not upgradable.

You will also need award space in the cabin you're trying to upgrade to, and on many routes and/or aircraft types SQ does not release space to other *A members.

I'm afraid you'll need be extremely fortunate for all this to come together ...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:52 am
Original Poster

So SQ is very stingy on who upgrades their classes..

Well that might explain the webpage error I got, or it might just be a fault at Aegeans side considering that I just picked economy class, but not the fare class.

I guess like you said; need to be extremely fortunate for this to come together. Iīll just have to be content with economy class for now.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sAmmm

Well that might explain the webpage error I got, or it might just be a fault at Aegeans side considering that I just picked economy class, but not the fare class.

I guess like you said; need to be extremely fortunate for this to come together. Iīll just have to be content with economy class for now.
SQ is not stingy, there are rules set across the alliance:

STAR ALLIANCE UPGRADE AWARD WITH MILES REDEMPTION

5. The Ticket must be issued under the following fares depending on the Star Alliance member-carrier in which the Member wishes to travel:

Booking class required on original ticket

Adria Airways

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, B

Air Canada

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, B
Air China

Business → First
C, D

Economy → Business
Y, B

Air New Zealand

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
U, E, O, Y, B

ANA

Business → First
C, D, J, Z

Economy → Business
Y, B, E

Asiana Airlines

Business → First
C, D

Economy → Business
Y, B

EVA Airways

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, K, B

Brussels

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, B

Croatia Airlines

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, B

Egyptair

Business → First
C, D

Economy → Business
Y, B

SAS

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, S, B

SWISS Int. Airlines

Business → First
C, D, J

Economy → Business
Y, B, M, U

TAP Portugal

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, B

Turkish Airlines

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, B

THAI

Business → First
C, D

Economy → Business
Y, B

United

Business → First
C, D, J

Economy → Business
Y, B

US Airways

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, B

Ethiopian Airlines

Business → First
N/ A

Economy → Business
Y, B, G, S

Avianca

Business → First
N/A

Economy → Business
Y, B

Shenzhen

Business → First
C, D

Economy → Business
Y, M, B, H
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:01 am
Community Director

As has been said, generally fully flexible, extremely expensive, fares are needed to upgrade across the alliance. I don't know if you hold status in other Alliances, but this is a very different situation to - say - BA allowing its own members to upgrade from more than a high-end Y fare.

If you've just bought the cheapest Y fare available, then the fault is almost certainly not at A3's end. Caveat Emptor, I'm afraid. Looking on the bright side, there are worse Y products around than SQ - I have survived many business trips to SIN with them thanks to a Y-only company policy, so life could be much worse.

Where SQ is more stingy is in actually making award space available in the first place.

It's not true on SQ, but on most airlines it's cheaper to buy a restricted J ticket than a fully flexible Y one you can upgrade. If your dates are firm, and you can be flexible where you fly from, there are some great J deals out there.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
As has been said, generally fully flexible, extremely expensive, fares are needed to upgrade across the alliance. I don't know if you hold status in other Alliances, but this is a very different situation to - say - BA allowing its own members to upgrade from more than a high-end Y fare.

If you've just bought the cheapest Y fare available, then the fault is almost certainly not at A3's end. Caveat Emptor, I'm afraid. Looking on the bright side, there are worse Y products around than SQ - I have survived many business trips to SIN with them thanks to a Y-only company policy, so life could be much worse.

Where SQ is more stingy is in actually making award space available in the first place.

It's not true on SQ, but on most airlines it's cheaper to buy a restricted J ticket than a fully flexible Y one you can upgrade. If your dates are firm, and you can be flexible where you fly from, there are some great J deals out there.
I donīt hold status in any other alliances, thereīs only A* which I have.

I have already booked my flight ticket and the long hauls are on Y class
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:17 pm
Community Director

Y-class can mean enormously different things, from being in the Economy cabin to having a fully flexible, full fare ticket - we need to know your route and actual fare bucket to know whether there's any chance of an upgrade even being available.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
see the link below, under "Seat Upgrade"
http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...#star-alliance
The reservation must be ticketed, under the Flex fare category to be eligible for Upgrade Award. Booking classes eligible for seat upgrade award are: Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W, L, K, S.
Each seat upgrade request is for max.4 passengers and 1 flight segment.
Seat upgrade award can only be booked via Aegean’s Reservations Department (801 11 20000 landline phones or +30 210 62 61 000 mobile phones or abroad).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
you also need upgrade space, i.e. "I" fare bucket availability for business class.
simply way is, if you cant see the StarAlliance business class award available, then you are out of luck. (77W, A380, A350 are mostly out of reach).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Y-class can mean enormously different things, from being in the Economy cabin to having a fully flexible, full fare ticket - we need to know your route and actual fare bucket to know whether there's any chance of an upgrade even being available.
Where can I find this information?

I do have the option to change the booking, and the segments are;

OSL - LHR (E)
LHR - SIN (Y)
SIN - AKL (Y)

All in Economy Flexi ticket.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
you also need upgrade space, i.e. "I" fare bucket availability for business class.
simply way is, if you cant see the StarAlliance business class award available, then you are out of luck. (77W, A380, A350 are mostly out of reach).
Oh, that might be the case then as I canīt see the StarAlliance business class award available, flying on A380 on the long hauls.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:43 pm
Community Director

Where can I find this information?

I do have the option to change the booking, and the segments are;

OSL - LHR (E)
LHR - SIN (Y)
SIN - AKL (Y)

All in Economy Flexi ticket.
OSL-LHR is presumably a codeshare anyway (on SK?), so that won't be ungradable (and I don't suppose you'd bother anyway!).

LHR-SIN is in an upgradable fare bucket, but SQ no longer releases Business Class award seats on this route because they run A380 or 77W planes.

SIN-AKL could be on the SQ Regional product. There's a chance you could find upgrade availability, but if you do it'll be on an aircraft with sloping seats because A380/77W seats won't be released. I find them quite comfortable, but I'd be inclined to save the miles given by that point you'll be on the shortest part of the long-haul journey. If your flight is scheduled as a 380, then that's ruled out anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

OSL-LHR is presumably a codeshare anyway (on SK?), so that won't be ungradable (and I don't suppose you'd bother anyway!).

LHR-SIN is in an upgradable fare bucket, but SQ no longer releases Business Class award seats on this route because they run A380 or 77W planes.

SIN-AKL could be on the SQ Regional product. There's a chance you could find upgrade availability, but if you do it'll be on an aircraft with sloping seats because A380/77W seats won't be released. I find them quite comfortable, but I'd be inclined to save the miles given by that point you'll be on the shortest part of the long-haul journey. If your flight is scheduled as a 380, then that's ruled out anyway.
OSL - LHR is on SK, thatīs correct.

I guess thatīs that then, given that I wonīt be able to use my miles on these segments, and yes the SIN-AKL flight is a 380.

Guess itīs better to save my miles for another trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.