Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Traffic results in to cover the period of the banks closure in July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster

July 2015 Passenger traffic results
Wednesday, 05-08-2015

1.5 million passengers and overall international traffic increased by 28%, while traffic to Athens increased by 37%!

Kifisia, 5 August 2015

AEGEAN's passenger traffic increased significantly in July, due to the company's expanded network connections and to its immediate reaction with targeted offers upon falling demand caused by uncertainty and capital controls. The company's increase with regard to international passengers was once again in July, higher than the market average contributing thus actively to Greek tourism and economy.
Specifically, in July 2015, the company carried 1,473,568 passengers, 240 thousand more compared to July 2014, recording a 19% increase of the overall passenger traffic.

Increase in international flights was particularly high, 28% higher than July 2014, for all 9 bases of the company in Athens, Thessaloniki, Heraklion, Chania, Rhodes, Corfu, Kalamata, Kos and Larnaka. International passenger traffic to Athens was highest in 2015, reaching 37% and 808,450 passengers, due to the company's 16 new destinations such as Oslo, Helsinki, Malta, Dubrovnik, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Alexandria, Riyadh and Tehran. International traffic increase to Heraklion base was also significant, reaching 30%, while traffic increase to Rhodes Base reached 15%. Such performance was positive for the company, given that the overall market to these destinations showed a small decline in the first half of 2015, mainly because of Russia.

The company's reaction and activation with regard to the flights within Greece was also of great significance, since long-standing capital controls and bank closure limited to a great extent Greeks' buying capacity and domestic tourism, which mainly supports smaller islands. AEGEAN achieved a traffic increase of 10% compared to July 2014. The increase was achieved with continuous promotions, more than in any other year, so that Greek passengers are able to go on holidays despite the difficult conditions. Increase of traffic to public service obligation destinations was even higher, since those destinations were supported this year with more flights and enhanced international connectivity and achieved an increase of 25%, while certain of those destinations show an even higher rate of increase.

Mr Dimitris Gerogiannis, AEGEAN's CEO stated:
"AEGEAN, contributes with all its forces in order to support our country in these difficult circumstances, as well as to maintain its own growth potential. There are great challenges and difficulties, but tourism can once again become a driver for recovery and it should be supported. AEGEAN operating in 134 destinations in 45 countries, increasing thus Greece's accessibility and fulfilling a targeted offer programme, managed to increase traffic to our country, as well as domestic tourism to small islands that are especially dependent on it".

http://en.about.aegeanair.com/media-...-ioylioy-2015/
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I betcha the increased traffic is due to the A3 overseas Gold members running to make their 4 segments. LOL
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I betcha the increased traffic is due to the A3 overseas Gold members running to make their 4 segments. LOL
^ Yes still any traffic is good traffic

The Domestic traffic is a relief to A3 Im sure. They weathered the period with an impressive result thank god.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELLAS
^ Yes still any traffic is good traffic

The Domestic traffic is a relief to A3 Im sure. They weathered the period with an impressive result thank god.
Agreed!!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Guilty as charged!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Athens, Santorini Airports Top Europe’s with Surging Passenger Traffic in 1st Half of 2015

Athens and Santorini airports welcomed an increasing number of travelers in the first half of 2015, recording the strongest growth in passenger traffic in Europe, in their respective categories, according to data released Wednesday, by the Airports Council Europe (ACI Europe).

The ACI Europe report found that passenger growth at Athens International Airport (AIA) grew by 23.3 percent, placing it at the top of its airport category, (Group 2) with a capacity of 10-25 million passengers annually. London Stansted followed with 16.9 percent and Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen with 16.6 percent, both in the same category.

AIA also topped its group with a 21.9 percent rise in passenger traffic for the month of June, followed by Dublin airport at 18.0 percent and Lisbon airport at 12.7 percent.

The airport on the popular Cycladic isle of Santorini, meanwhile, saw a 33.2 percent increase in passenger traffic, recording the strongest performance among EU airports handling less than 5 million passengers yearly. In its group (4) the airports of Romanian cities Sibiu grew by 32.3 percent and Cluj by 30.5 percent.

http://news.gtp.gr/2015/08/06/athens...-half-of-2015/

----

ATH July results.

An increase of 20.5 percent recorded in July, the airport's passenger traffic, compared with the same month last year, despite the imposition of capital controls.

In particular, the traffic at "El. Venizelos" reached 2.14 million passengers, compared with 1.8 million. passengers in July 2014.

Both domestic passengers and international passengers increased to a similar level (by 23.5% and 19% respectively).

The Greek travelers recorded a slight increase of 1% and foreign visitors showed a rise by 31%.

http://www.metaforespress.gr/aeropor...sto-7mino.html
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok, have to have my Friday Fun, increase in numbers due to a large Greek exodus??? LOL
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

And I have to have my Friday Trivia which is that ''Exodus'' is a Greek word

Looking at the results it shows foreigners wanted in more than Greeks wanted out
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
...The airport on the popular Cycladic isle of Santorini, meanwhile, saw a 33.2 percent increase in passenger traffic, recording the strongest performance among EU airports handling less than 5 million passengers yearly...
Yep! Two nights ago my cousin spent from 2 am till 6 am on the floor as there were zillions of people waiting for their flights and enough seats to satisfy the winter numbers of passengers. I guess, a new building is due...
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Even an extension to the terminal would be a plus. Its not that costly in the whole scale of things and would make a difference. A large hall with A/C and a few bar style seating areas with power sockets etc...
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
During my week-long holiday during the Eid in mid-late September, I will also be doing the A3 4-segment travel "scurry" around Greece.

Any suggestions for the 4 segments in September? Some past 4-segment suggestions are not available any more.

I do RT flights DOH-IST (seems most cost effective with Turkish plus I get A3 Miles) and then do the 4 segments (in at most a week) then fly back to DOH.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
We go to JTR every year for my wife's birthday, and this year was the busiest I've seen it in 6 summers. I can see how A3 is killing it. Those short hops yield like crazy.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

August saw a 23% increase at ATH so the positive trend continued.

Arrivals from USA were up 12% to Greece. DL has announced an increase in their services for Summer 2016. Starting earlier than usual end of March.

Also for next Summer V7 enters the Domestic market with flights by B717 to JMK,MJT from ATH.

The full detailed stats are here but only in Greek.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/283077384/...60;τ-2015
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
B717?

should i be scared? :P
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
B717?

should i be scared? :P
No

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.