Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean waives airport ticket issuing fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Aegean waives airport ticket issuing fee

The fee for buying a ticket at the airport is normally 20EUR. Tickets issued until 19/July will not include this fee.

Online sales remain fee-less.
Phone sales will still be charged (20EUR)

(Source: el.aegeanair.com)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could this be related to the banking crisis in Greece? Maybe A3 wants to encourage payments in cash?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:37 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could this be related to the banking crisis in Greece? Maybe A3 wants to encourage payments in cash?
Well yes, clearly it is related to the country's current financial strictures, but ...

I doubt it's so much wanting cash, but just encouraging any form of payment and making sure you 'hook' someone in once they're at the airport by affording them every encouragement to fly with you and not, say, FR - let's face it, if you get to the airport the chances are you need to fly with someone. In practical terms, if you're restricted to €60 a day cash withdrawal, spending a third of that on a fee when the fare isn't much more (on a domestic, which is where FR provides significant competition) might not seem a particularly sensible use of resources.

We do know that cash payments are normally very high in the Greek economy - even as a tourist you are occasionally encouraged in restaurants to follow that line - so A3 will regard this as a revenue protection measure driven by practicality. A very sensible move, imho.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:26 am

On top of that, A3 is offering full refund if you want to cancel -travel till mid. July i think-
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
On top of that, A3 is offering full refund if you want to cancel -travel till mid. July i think-
Are they giving refunds in cash, or just in credits to the credit card? If the former, abusing the system would be a way to get more cash than ATMs are willing to hand out.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are they giving refunds in cash, or just in credits to the credit card? If the former, abusing the system would be a way to get more cash than ATMs are willing to hand out.
New way to manufacture spend?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

I am not sure if this is true. They are refunding tickets for travel between 1-8 July (one week that is) due to the referendum.

Do you have any reference for a longer period?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:06 am

Yeah, sorry i though it was till July 15th but was till July 8th. Although there is flexibility if you had even one flight in that period.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Not entirely related, though similar: does anybody know if the oasa bus from ath airport (x93) is still free these days? Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:48 am

Free transport was extended till today (10/July).
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:25 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks. I can confirm that it indeed is still the case. Though I am curious why they do not try to sell anyway to tourists. As they are not really the intended receivers of the discount..
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I thought of that myself, but then again, it would be kind of awkward asking half the passengers to pay, wouldn't it?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:57 am

i just read that the minister decided to extend the measure for next Monday/Tuesday but not for the weekend.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:05 am

Free transport was extended till today (10/July).
i just read that the minister decided to extend the measure for next Monday/Tuesday but not for the weekend.
Let's make it clear for non-Greeks: what you mean is free transportation on city busses in Athens only!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:47 am

Sorry, i was replying to Xandrios.

Free transport is only for Athens but for all means:
- metro (lines 1,2,3)
- buses
- trolleys
-tram.

Only suburban railway (proastiakos) is excluded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.