Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Implications for A3 of an exit from the Eurozone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Implications for A3 of an exit from the Eurozone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there some belief, or even evidence, regarding how Greeks abroad are likely to vote? If so, does it coincide with the way A3 hopes the vote will go?

I can guess how some Greek people I know who live abroad are likely to vote, but I don't think these would be a representative sample.
This is likely a marketing thing, to be patriotic and fill some seats. I would guess that this group will vote 90% Yes (except maybe some hard core ideologists), and these are likely A3's frequent flyers, but 5-10 plane loads won't swing the vote of a 6.3 million electorate. I assume A3's interests will align with a Yes vote.

Last edited by nk15; Jul 3, 2015 at 7:01 am
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:55 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
From the people I know within Greece, pretty much none of them will vote in favor of accepting the European proposals. This may be within a specific age group as I expect the elderly to vote in favor.

Greeks living abroad I would expect to vote in favor of the proposals. Simply because they are more in contact with international press, and the Monetary reasons why many would vote No, do not directly apply to them.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This referendum has become so confusing and stupid at this point, everyone is interpreting it in a different way, and has become a divisive and time-wasting focus. The result will probably be very close any way, likely few percentage points favoring the Yes, and it will be pretty meaningless. The important issue is that this government and their coalition have burned all bridges with Europe, they have almost no credibility or support abroad, and their prospects of reaching and implementing any kind of sustainable agreement and solution are slim to none. This leaves the political and economic situation in a very difficult state. In the meantime, reports are that there are less than 800 million euros left in cash in the Greek banks, good enough until Sunday.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nk15
This referendum has become so confusing and stupid at this point, everyone is interpreting it in a different way, and has become a divisive and time-wasting focus. The result will probably be very close any way, likely few percentage points favoring the Yes, and it will be pretty meaningless. The important issue is that this government and their coalition have burned all bridges with Europe, they have almost no credibility or support abroad, and their prospects of reaching and implementing any kind of sustainable agreement and solution are slim to none. This leaves the political and economic situation in a very difficult state. In the meantime, reports are that there are less than 800 million euros left in cash in the Greek banks, good enough until Sunday.
Does anyone know what fraction of Greek residents are taking out the maximum 50-60 Euros cash per day?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know what fraction of Greek residents are taking out the maximum 50-60 Euros cash per day?
Interestingly, they seemingly are under-collecting them, both pensions and ATM withdrawals are under-collected by a lot, based on official government data reported on Greek TV. The chairman of the National Bank of Greece, Louka Katseli, said on TV today that there is 1 billion euros in cash left in the Greek banks, and these will last until Monday.

There are some developing concerns for gas and some food supplies/ imports in the next week, after the next 4-5 days. There is also some shortage of small bills in the market (5s, 10s, and coins).

Last edited by nk15; Jul 3, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OTOH, maybe a split vote is the best outcome, everyone gets to vote, both sides are heard, and the combined message is yes to Europe but with considerations for the vulnerable and towards growth and debt relief. As long there is a feasible and decent path forward.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Thanks to everyone who has posted such valuable information on this thread, including "on the ground" reports from Greece. I started this discussion because of my upcoming trip to Greece, planned arrival this Sunday. And everything I have been hearing made me feel pretty confident that it would be absolutely fine to take the trip and that I would have a great time.

Ironically, I had to cancel my Greece trip to travel with my wife to her parents' home to help out while her mom recovers from orthopedic surgery.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: A3 *G
Interestingly, they seemingly are under-collecting them, both pensions and ATM withdrawals are under-collected by a lot, based on official government data reported on Greek TV.
Where I live not many people seem to be using the ATM's (although I do not sit watching them all day!). This is probably because most people have seen this coming and have already withdrawn large amounts of cash before last week. There is still a very strong "keep it under the mattress" culture here. Personally I have lived and worked here for 9 years and I do not even have a bank account. And no, it is NOT all under my mattress so you cannot come to steal it - although you are all welcome to come for a beer if you like!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:49 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
The result will probably be very close any way, likely few percentage points favoring the Yes, and it will be pretty meaningless.
I am not so sure. Yes, the bloomberg report says 50/50...but that is not my experience talking to people in Greece. By far (90%?) seem to lean towards no.

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
There is still a very strong "keep it under the mattress" culture here.
Most people here withdraw the money and store it in a safe deposit box in the bank. Not sure what happens with those would the banks go bankrupt - I do not know who legally owns that box (and contents).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
We pretend to turn a blind eye but this is what was happening in Greece which led to the current scenario:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ated-ruin.html
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...is-greece.html
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been trying to make some sense of the numbers that are being reported in the USA. The claims are that the Greek banking systeem currently has 1.5 billion Euro, which is enough for two more days. Yet the total Greek population is just a bit over 11 million, which comes out to more than 132 Euro per person, including children and those in institutions. My guess is that maybe half of the citizens who are Greek residents have bank accounts and ATM cards. If the maximum withdrawal per person per day is 60 but now it's effectively 50 due to shortages of 20 Euro bills, the money should last more than two days (but probably not significantly more than about four or five days) unless foreigners are taking significant amounts from ATMs.

Does anyone in Greece have a sense of whether virtuually everyone in Greece is going to an ATM (and in fact multiple ATMss if needed until finding one with cash) every day?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 4, 2015 at 5:04 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The official statement from the president of the Greek banks association said 1 billion euros left, and that was yesterday morning, to last until Monday. I doubt it that anyone who still has money in the bank does not withdraw the daily maximum at this point. The cash presumably also goes into special cases for imports or to pay for medical emergency treatments abroad, etc. through approval committees. Then there are the tourists. I have also heard about cases of inside jobs from bank employees withdrawing money from accounts for family members. I assume there will still be something left, with perhaps a new limit after Sunday, there must a plan for the next 2-4 days, until some kind of emergency funding kicks in.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:25 pm

Some are some are not. I dont think there is such a rush as people expected. It depends on your circumstances. My folks report that its not possible to take EUR60 as 20 notes are gone so only one EUR50 comes out. Other people I know are not bothered as they saw something like this coming and they took out anything between EUR500-1500 a few days before controls came in. They stocked up for 2 weeks with food too. So they are just sitting tight.

Some have gone a bit ott and panic bought with one women who my Aunt saw buying 100 packets of pasta and even the cashier asked her what she was doing. You had to see the funny side of it but obviously not in the wider scale of things.

Regards the referendum its very split. Its also very much to do again with your own circumstances and how the crisis has hit you personally. Its as split as the view of other Europeans on Greece. Its amazing how much mis information has been spouted out about the Greeks and Greece. The Daily Mail is doing a good job but then the IQ of its readers and supporters is such that they drink the Kool Aid

The Yes and No vote is split within my own network of relatives and friends. Some lively debates I can tell you.

2000 came out in support in Dublin today.

Over 2,000 people attend rally in Dublin in support of Greek people

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0704/712584-greece/

Its too close to call what the result will be.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Regards the referendum its very split. Its also very much to do again with your own circumstances and how the crisis has hit you personally. Its as split as the view of other Europeans on Greece. Its amazing how much mis information has been spouted out about the Greeks and Greece. The Daily Mail is doing a good job but then the IQ of its readers and supporters is such that they drink the Kool Aid

The Yes and No vote is split within my own network of relatives and friends. Some lively debates I can tell you.
Exactly the same here among my friends (I'm not a Greek native so I cannot vote, I just have to judge from what I hear). I have to say the most vocal are (obviously?) the ones voting no, but just judging from the sheer amount of facebook posts there seems to be a growing number of skeptical people. (for the sake of clarity, most of my friends are around 30 years old like I am myself -- I would suspect most seniors voting yes)

For what it is worth, my own opinion on it is that the whole referendum is just a bunch of cr** as it's voting on something that doesn't exist in real. It's just an easy way out for the ruling politicians to be safe, so whatever comes out, the politicians have their own asses saved (be it a yes or no vote) and being secured from a potential political backlash whatever will be decided. Really, I'm sick and tired of the games being played by both sides involved - be it the EU or the Tsipras government - and sincerely hope somehow a solution will be reached which won't see any disastrous effects for the Greek people - from which a huge majority never wanted to be part of this, never deserved to be part of this. For me, as a big Grecophile, it's just heartbreaking to see images like below happening...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.