Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

how likely a change in earnings on UA fares [confirmed 12th May 2015, backdated Mar]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2015, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Air Rarotonga
New M&B earning Table, effective (retroactively) as of 01/MAR/2015:
Code:
First
F, A ...................... 150%
Business
J, C, D, Z, P ............. 100%
Economy
Y, B ...................... 100%
M, E, U, H, Q ............. 100%
V .......................... 75%
W, S, T, L, K, G, N ........ 50%
Note
Miles cannot be earned in booking classes: O, I, X, R

-> No more minimum miles for all booking casses!
(new earing table was published on m&b site on 12/MAY/2015).

Old M&B earning table, fective as of 01/FEB/2013 up to 28/FEB/2015:
Code:
First
F, A ...................... 300% / 1500 (minimum miles)
Business
J, C, D, Z ................ 200% / 1000 (minimum miles)
Economy
Y ......................... 150% /  750 (minimum miles)
B, M, E, U, H, Q, V ....... 100% /  500 (minimum miles)
W, S, T, L, K, G ........... 50% /  500 (minimum miles)
Note
Miles cannot be earned in booking classes: O, I, X, R, N, P
Print Wikipost

how likely a change in earnings on UA fares [confirmed 12th May 2015, backdated Mar]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 2:05 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pewpew
All of these changes to earning make it a lot harder to trust A3...
Absolutely - not so much the LX one, which at least had some notice (2 weeks is looking like a bonus), but SQ and UA have been retroactively applied. I would assume anyone flying over the last six weeks or so was probably credited according to the old table, but frankly this smacks of a shambles at the very heart of M&B. Earning is a central core of any FFP, and to totally mis-manage how that works - not just once, but certainly twice and maybe three times - discredits the entire airline.

Trust, as pewpew very sufficiently puts it, is very quickly being eroded. I wouldn't remotely blame anyone for looking for other places to credit right now.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S
My guess is that UA send the instructions to OZ,TK, A3 for the changes for March, but A3 was the last one to update its system...IT might be a little slower,
they still have enough work with the new program and website.
Buying miles was promised for February and is still not available...
Old May 13, 2015, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
My guess is that UA send the instructions to OZ,TK, A3 for the changes for March, but A3 was the last one to update its system...IT might be a little slower, ...
This.

Any change in earnings in a*A program should now be taken as an indicator A3 will follow, possibly retrospectively. I touched on this possibility above, but from now it must be considered in all cases. We now need to watch other programs to know what will happen with miles in M&B. Indeed very badly handled
Old May 13, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
My guess is that UA send the instructions to OZ,TK, A3 for the changes for March, but A3 was the last one to update its system...IT might be a little slower,
they still have enough work with the new program and website.
Buying miles was promised for February and is still not available...
But A3 earnings on UA were already pretty crappy, it wasn't like OZ or TK where we knew a change was coming. And even the ones that changed after March 1st didn't retroactively apply the changes (I'm not sure who paid the difference). For example, TK's old UA chart lasts about a week into March because that's how long it took them to get the new chart up.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Wow from 300% to 100% is a kick in the balls....

Good thing there is still minimum miles on AC flights.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Jma12
I guess it makes sense if A3 wants to get rid of it's Gold member in US. After this year I think A3 will lose half of it's current gold members. I just hope that they don't change their chart for AC.
With 125 mile minimums for Tango fares, personally I don't see much difference anyway (as a primarily Y flyer)

For me the removal of UA's 500 mile minimums only really affects me inasmuch as it takes away a last-ditch requalifying option of mine (should I ever need it) which is a quick multi-segment hop to the US ex-YYZ.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
I see this as a retaliation for UA domestic flyers who probably dont contribute positively to M&B and A3.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not so keen on the changes for Biz, but then I try to stay away from UA anyways so won't be affected much. What I don't like is the retro-active part starting March 1. If they were behind on implementing the change at least announce it so people can make a choice. Going backwards is a big nono to me. YMMV
Old May 14, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by demue
Not so keen on the changes for Biz, but then I try to stay away from UA anyways so won't be affected much. What I don't like is the retro-active part starting March 1. If they were behind on implementing the change at least announce it so people can make a choice. Going backwards is a big nono to me. YMMV
Did they go back and change mileage earnings for people who's miles already posted? I don't know since I've only flown K fares since March 1st, but miles posted in a few days, so presumably for 2 months, miles posted at the old levels and could have been redeemed and/or upgraded status by now.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Did they go back and change mileage earnings for people who's miles already posted? I don't know since I've only flown K fares since March 1st, but miles posted in a few days, so presumably for 2 months, miles posted at the old levels and could have been redeemed and/or upgraded status by now.
But now there's the uncertainty that A3 could go back and "correct" those mileage credits, reverse status qualifications, etc., although I don't know what they could do about award tickets that have already been flown other than potentially having some accountably with negative redeemable miles balances that people can walk away from.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I flew with UA in mid April and my Z-class flight is still showing at 200%. I'll keep watching as I would not be surprised if they remove half of the miles.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:53 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by AVSA
I flew with UA in mid April and my Z-class flight is still showing at 200%. I'll keep watching as I would not be surprised if they remove half of the miles.
Well, there is some recent evidence that A3 has honoured the published mileage charts at the time of flight previously - example being the SQ 'K' class saga.

Presumably they should now be looking at anything flown in P or N for retroclaim though ...
Old May 18, 2015, 6:45 am
Community Director

Folks, there were a number of posts which discussed the reasons behind this devaluation which merited a thread of their own in order to keep this thread on UA earnings on-topic.

They have been split off into a new thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...locations.html

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Old May 19, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Well, this was certainly a shock to see.

The best part of this was that I was able to get 500 mile minimums. For someone who flys primarily in economy,this was a nice way to accumulate some miles, being most of my flights were <200 miles.

In terms of strategy right now, I'm at a complete loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.