Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Cancelation of Aegean Membership and back to LH ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Hi !
I am thinking of canceling my Aegean M&B Membership and go back to LH M&M.
I am just not happy with the program. I was FQTV with M&M but lost the status with always being short by maybe 2 legs a year. The miles for the extension I did never achieve over the years.
When I switched to M&B I almost made the Gold Status, being short by 2500 miles.
As for now it does not make sense to run 2 different memberships in this case I would like to go back to LH M&M. AT M&M, i can easily use the webshop or miles for upgrades or tickets. It looks much more complicated with M&B.
What is your opinion? Could I transfer my M&B points towards LH M&M ?
Thank you.
Peter
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
You can not transfer your M&B points to M&M, but you can redeem your M&B on any *A and US Airways flights.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:16 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Hi Peter,

Transferring miles between programs is not possible. So if you would like to go back to LH, you would have to start from the beginning there.

Personally I value Aegean Gold status much higher than LH FT programme; mostly due to the fact that with Aegean you can enjoy the most important benefits (Lounge access) on all star alliance airlines. With LH FT I believe that you will only be receiving lounge access when flying LH/LX/OS. Also the senator lounges that you get with Aegean are generally nicer than the LH FT lounges.

It seems that you have had problems maintaining status in both programs, in both cases about 2 flights short. Was that under the old M&B rules, or under the new rules that went into effect 24 Nov 2014? If you are M&B Silver member currently it should be relatively easy to get up to gold this year..
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your answers so far.
Guess with the flights i do, I will not or even barely make it gold.
Biggest Problem, no Lounge access on LH flights with Silver M&B.
Also outside of Germany no Lounge access without gold status.
guess there is no real hint, what to do !
Peter
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Go for A3 gold status. MM FTL status is not worth much, unless you fly only in Germany on LH flights.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by pegrat
Peter
Peter: If you are in Germany or Austria, it can be very affordable to fly the 4 sectors on A3/OA. This would reduce the number of miles required to upgrade to Gold considerably. For example, TXL-ATH-LCA and back is available from Euro 113.

Also, at some point this year A3 will make it possible to buy status (!) miles. How many you may buy as Silver and what that will cost is not known at this time. But I don't think that this is possible at all with LH's M&M.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
Originally Posted by Jma12
You can not transfer your M&B points to M&M, but you can redeem your M&B on any *A and US Airways flights.
I think the partnership with US was finished by the end of 2014. Even re-claiming eligible flights for 2014 is not possible anymore.

@pegrat: Maybe you tell us a bit more about your location and flying patterns, and our advice could be much more precise. I was so happy when I got A3*G and almost celebrated my loss of LH FTL afterwards ;-)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by EAPflyer
I think the partnership with US was finished by the end of 2014. Even re-claiming eligible flights for 2014 is not possible anymore
Apparently, you can still get award tickets on US, though.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Quite weird... LH Silver is more or less nothing. Some advantages when flying LH (but less than with A3 gold anyway, no fast track, priority boarding etc).
Regarding senator (i used to be one), forget about it if you do not fly a lot on expensive tickets. Regular and discounted tickets credit 25% now... IMO Miles and More is the worst program regarding pain/benefits in the alliance. I would go with them only for HON because the benefits are really high (used to be much more better, but still really something great)... but you have to fly a lot, on a long period of time mostly in J...

For me, Aegean + TK together (not that complicated to be gold with both) are the best option in the alliance.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by pegrat
Peter
In the end you are the one who knows your flying pattern and ultimately needs to make the decision.

Was it under the old rules that you missed to qualify for A3 gold? Then the hill is much steeper now, and a M&M silver is probably serving you much better than A3 silver (not that any of them are very good).

But you are also saying you were often falling short of M&M silver?
In such a situation you really need to focus. Either do the math and very decidedly go for the tier you want OR drop it altogether and just buy lounge passes or a priority pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.