Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Issues in Seat Selection for Gold and Silver A3 Cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat

A valuable benefit of the new M&B Program is the ability of status cardholders to pre-select seats up to 24 hours before departure. So far, this has worked well for me by phoning an agent but the process is very time-consuming. Unfortunately, A3 flights are for some reason not listed on Seat Guru. Does anyone have advice on obtaining information on seat maps for specific flights? And are Aegean giving preference to Gold over Silver members, and status cardholders over high fare bucket economy passengers, in seat selection at the front of economy and in exit rows?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:00 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Aegean Gold members (not *A Gold) and Business Class customers are the only people that can pre-select seats, so that gives them an instant advantage over Aegean Silver and any other Y passengers whichever fare bucket they purchase. This has been the case for some time - it's not a new feature associated with the M&B change.

Seat maps are rather harder to come by, but obviously A3 flies a relatively limited number of aircraft types so there's not much variety - once you've flown with them a few times you get to know which are preferred seats.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:42 pm

Last week I had pre-reserved (and confirmed at OLCI) seats 3CD, i.e. first row behind the curtain, for my wife and myself (both gold). When checking our luggage I was told that we had been moved to 5DE, with a blocked F seat, because the curtain had been moved. Then, at the gate, an agent came to me (!) and gave me a new BC for 5C (instead of E) with a blocked B seat. I keep saying that the actual service when flying is excellent. I hope they'll soon solve all of their extremely annoying problems when handling M&B accounts.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: A3 *G
And are Aegean giving preference to Gold over Silver members, and status cardholders over high fare bucket economy passengers, in seat selection at the front of economy and in exit rows?
Apart from the pre-selection for MB Gold mentioned above there seems to be no favouritism once general checking opens - no blocked rows for 'premium' pax as some other carriers do. It's quite possible to select any available seat, including 'front' or exit rows with even the cheapest tickets.

Last week I had pre-reserved (and confirmed at OLCI) seats 3CD, i.e. first row behind the curtain
I guess that's always the known risk with sitting directly behind the curtain.

One thing people should bear in mind when selecting seats - on most/all the A3 aircraft I've been on, the first few rows - up to about 10 or 12 I think - have much better seat pitch than those at the back. This will be to facilittate the curtain being moved back further so all C class pax always get that pitch. So I usually choose row 7 or 8 (or the exit row) on an A320 - larger pitch with little chance of being moved later.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I guess that's always the known risk with sitting directly behind the curtain.
Fully aware of the "risk".

...on most/all the A3 aircraft I've been on, the first few rows - up to about 10 or 12 I think - have much better seat pitch than those at the back...
This is true for rows 1-4 ONLY! (sorry, plus emergency exit rows). I have never, ever been in an A3 flight where the curtain was behind row 4! C class ranging that far is a standard for LH: Remember, Greeks are now poor!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Aegean Gold members (not *A Gold) and Business Class customers are the only people that can pre-select seats, so that gives them an instant advantage over Aegean Silver and any other Y passengers whichever fare bucket they purchase. This has been the case for some time - it's not a new feature associated with the M&B change.

Seat maps are rather harder to come by, but obviously A3 flies a relatively limited number of aircraft types so there's not much variety - once you've flown with them a few times you get to know which are preferred seats.
I think you may not be up to date with the recently announced changes in the M&B program. If you look at the tier benefits section of the M&B website for Silver cardholders, you will see that seat selection is one of the benefits offered.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:56 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by johnirvine
I think you may not be up to date with the recently announced changes in the M&B program. If you look at the tier benefits section of the M&B website for Silver cardholders, you will see that seat selection is one of the benefits offered.
But I like living in the past .

You are indeed correct - as a Gold for many years, I hadn't looked at the Silver benefits.

It does seem to indicate that there is no preference for Gold members over Silver in terms of available seats. Certainly when I've rung and asked, relatively close to my flight date, I've been told I can have the choice of the plane - so it looks like this is not a benefit that's being widely used, possibly through familiarity with the previous policy.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Sorry for bringing this thread up - but is there anyway to pre-select seats on A3 flights online?

I have not been able to locate this even in Manage my booking function. Is calling the only way?

Thanks

Cheers!

ps: am *G
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:28 am
Community Director

No, only by calling. You also need to be A3*G (or A3*S) to be able to pre-select in Y - *G holders from other FFP's don't qualify I'm afraid.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
No, only by calling. You also need to be A3*G (or A3*S) to be able to pre-select in Y - *G holders from other FFP's don't qualify I'm afraid.
Thanks, clear. I am A3*G, so that should be ok.
hopefully that they will improve this - as it seems so old fashion in this time and age to only be able do this via the phone.

Cheers!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Besides for the rare occasions I'm not flying alone, I've stopped calling alltogehter. It's just a annoying process and there more than enough good seats available at T-48 when Check-In opens.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I generally book a couple of months before flying, and since I am at ATH pretty much weekly I just ask them to do it at the ticket desk. Works well, and only takes a minute.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:20 pm

Could anyone advise if row 1 is preferred to row 2 in C on the 321 (and I assume it would be the same on the 320?)
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by eriond
Could anyone advise if row 1 is preferred to row 2 in C on the 321 (and I assume it would be the same on the 320?)
Basically all advantages/disadvantages of bulkhead seats, e.g. much more legroom.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:24 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It depends on your personal preference.

Personally I much prefer row 2, as it allows me to put my legs under the seat in front of me. At the bulkhead you may have a little more space..but you will still have a wall right in front of you. Which to me makes it way less comfortable.

Keep in mind that the first 4 rows have additional seat pitch anyway, so you I'll already have some additional legroom than in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.