Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

How to best get 300 miles to close on Gold Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I am desperately trying to get my Gold Status this year and have a few questions:

1. United flights in booking class K are eligible for 50% tier miles. But what if the United flight is operated by Air Canada Rouge (which is only good for a 25% tier miles). Does Miles & Bonus credit the ticket (50%) or operating carrier (25%) miles?

2. Am I right that after I got my Blue Card, all previously earned miles (5000 on my first flight) don't count anymore? I have to start from scratch and get 16000 miles within one calendar year?

3. I might get into the situation to miss my 16000 miles by 300. Any idea how to get those miles the cheapest way? I saw that AE cooperates with Booking.com. Can I earn tier/status miles this way (or only award miles)?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks & have a good weekend,
Martin
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL FO; A3 *G; AA PLT; et cetera
Welcome to FT!!

1) Where are you located (from your options of UA and AC, I'd guess North America, but more specifically)?

1a) *A generally credits by operating carrier (metal), not the marketing carrier, so if you bought a UA codeshare operated by AC, you'd earn at AC rates.

2) Once you hit Blue, you need a further 16000 miles beyond the 4000 required to reach Blue in order to reach Gold. Thus, if you have accrued 5000 Tier miles, you will need a further 15000 in order to become Gold.

3) If you are in North America, a short hop on UA likely is the easiest. Poke around the MR forum for ideas, or the deal sites. While K fares earn 50%, you will earn a minimum of 500 miles per segment on all revenue classes sold by UA. Thus, if you have a K fare and the actual flight distance is 425 miles, you'd earn 500 Tier miles. However, for flights between 501-1001 miles, you'd still only earn 500 miles. Flights 1002 miles and longer would earn 50% of the flown miles.

3a) I think Tier Miles can only be accrued through flights. Anything else is award miles only.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for our feedback. Your point #2 is interesting and would solve my problem.

I uploaded a screenshot of my specific account summary atm. Do I need 4424 miles or 5563 miles to get Gold Status?

http://postimg.cc/image/oxzxvb6zd/

Thanks again for your support. I will make sure to help out as soon as I am more educated.

Martin
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:44 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mgd81
Thanks for our feedback. Your point #2 is interesting and would solve my problem.

I uploaded a screenshot of my specific account summary atm. Do I need 4424 miles or 5563 miles to get Gold Status?

http://postimg.cc/image/oxzxvb6zd/

Thanks again for your support. I will make sure to help out as soon as I am more educated.

Martin
You need 4424. The 'extra' miles from the upgrade to Blue (*S) status carry over towards the next 16k you need for Gold. This should show under 'My Account' ('Miles needed for upgrade'). You need to get these by 23rd November, even though the date shown on the account may be later (I have no idea if A3's IT has caught up with the new scheme announcement yet ...!).

The potential good news from your first post is the AC and AC Rouge now earn at the same rate, so if you take an AC Rouge flight trans-border then it will earn at 50%.

If you find you're just short as you approach the 23rd November, take a look at the LH train trick, which is detailed in other threads in this forum, where you just check-in for the 'flight' but never actually have to physically show because there's obviously no check as to whether or not you got on a train.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, NWIFlyer! That's really helpful information!!!

I have now booked a flight with Air Canada from Toronto to Las Vegas and a return via Montreal for October. The lady on the AC phone was kind enough to book me in booking class V, which should give me 100% of the miles according to the Aegan table.

According to this calculator, this should give me 4483 miles http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/

So I should reach Gold Status under the old rules

Or did I miss sth else?

Enjoy your weekend & safe travels,
Martin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.