Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Using M&B Gold when flying under different FF number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

This may be a stupid question, I'm going to obtain Gold status with M&B as per the well known method.

If I am then flying on a Star Alliance flight, but using a different mileage program, can I still get the perks using my M&B gold card.

For example, I am Gold status with M&B but flying on an SAS flight where I have registered my Krisflyer number - can I still get the Gold perks such as extra baggage, lounge access etc?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:14 pm

once you reach Gold status on Star Alliance, the rule become universal, the lounge and the extra baggage will apply to every Star Alliance flight.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by Vicked
This may be a stupid question, I'm going to obtain Gold status with M&B as per the well known method.

If I am then flying on a Star Alliance flight, but using a different mileage program, can I still get the perks using my M&B gold card.

For example, I am Gold status with M&B but flying on an SAS flight where I have registered my Krisflyer number - can I still get the Gold perks such as extra baggage, lounge access etc?
Extra baggage might be a bit harder, but the general method is to have your A3 number on the BP until after check-in, then change it at the lounge/gate. If you do use the extra baggage perk, they might charge you for the extra bags before swapping the numbers(read:UA). Otherwise priority baggage, lounge access do still work. Check-in will attach the tags and they will remain even after the swap, and the latter can be accessed by showing your card.

Of course, there are the notorious GAs that don't even seem to try to change the card numbers...

In general, the airlines I have flown that do allow you to change(without a fuss, even a smile!) are AC(shocker?), SQ, BR, NH, OZ, TG. (Feel free to add onto this list!)
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by Vicked

Have a look at this other thread where the same/similar questions have been discussed before.

In particular, be aware that even if you try to credit to another FFP while using A3 for *G perks, the miles might post to A3 due to e.g., some "helpful" lounge dragon or check-in agent replacing your other FFP number with your A3 number. Once the miles are in one FFP, trying to get them removed and credited somewhere else is difficult or downright impossible.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
In general, the airlines I have flown that do allow you to change(without a fuss, even a smile!) are AC(shocker?),
Did this at AC check in at LAX T2 in June. I had our TK *G in the system but found out that we'll get more miles with UA S (we have already re-qualified so no need for more miles in TK). Check-in agent couldn't do it, and not the MLL at LAX. I called AC CS and there was a 2 hours wait.

I gave up, and did it as soon as I'm at YYZ (the first leg is not a big problem since UA gives 0 anyway). The check-in agent was shocked that LAX couldn't do anything and he said that AC has stopped this act because of 'fraud'. I explained to him and he said the system didn't allow him to do so. He said my best shot was to do retro-claim. So I told him to delete all the TK FFP on our BPs if it's possible. Fortunately it was possible, then I said could you please try to see if you can now put in our UA # in and it worked!

Another remark - if you fly SK, you will get NO perk at CPH if you use don't want A3 in your BP. Tried in Apr. I asked the CI agent to put TK at FQTS and then UA at FQTV, he said there is no such thing (actually there is but he doesn't bother). Not sure if the lounge will do it for you - it's Europe - people do what they THINK it's right, not according to what a system can do or not.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:07 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nacho
Another remark - if you fly SK, you will get NO perk at CPH if you use don't want A3 in your BP. Tried in Apr. I asked the CI agent to put TK at FQTS and then UA at FQTV, he said there is no such thing (actually there is but he doesn't bother). Not sure if the lounge will do it for you - it's Europe - people do what they THINK it's right, not according to what a system can do or not.
The agent may be correct - not all airlines' systems have FQTS & FQTV fields available. I don't know what the position is for SK.

There are many tales available of agents in NA, Asia and Oceania doing things that we believe go against the book or what their system of capable of. By no means is this a Europe-centric thing ...

And, you know, if you've taken the benefits of being A3*G and the miles end up posting there even if you'd prefer them not to - well, you haven't actually got that much to complain about, have you? It's a bit of a game - usually you'll win, occasionally you have to suck up that you might lose.

In the long term, it's not going to hurt you too much - all that's happened is you've extended your A3 re-qualification period by another 3 years and can 'recover' this flight further down the line.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Airlines have no basis on which to refuse perks as long as you can prove your gold status, and the card is sufficient for that - see the Star Alliance Reference Guide. The BP is then irrelevant. Take a copy of the relevant pages of the guide or, better still, ask to see the checkin's / lounge's copy. They should all have one. Then point them to their own alliance's regulations.
Link to 2014 PDF here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23130103-post148.html

Last edited by timster; Jul 11, 2014 at 8:42 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
And, you know, if you've taken the benefits of being A3*G and the miles end up posting there even if you'd prefer them not to - well, you haven't actually got that much to complain about, have you? It's a bit of a game - usually you'll win, occasionally you have to suck up that you might lose.

In the long term, it's not going to hurt you too much - all that's happened is you've extended your A3 re-qualification period by another 3 years and can 'recover' this flight further down the line.
I'm not A3 yet, will be doing it from my next flight. What I want to point out is that don't expect more than lounge access if you are intending to credit your miles to another airline. I never expect more than the lounge when I'm doing this with my TK G.

The fact is - the check-in agent and the lounge dragon have the right to put whatever they like on it - even if you show them the *A manual. If you argue with them, you are wasting your own lounge time. I normally avoid the fight unless there is a need for an extra check-in bag.

We were stopped after being let into the *A lounge at LHR - I entered with my TK card and then the BP has UA# on it. The lounge dragon didn't know how to handle it. I explained to him that I have G with TK and S with UA. A lot of staff are worried about fake/misused G cards.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
A lot of staff are worried about fake/misused G cards.
Don't staff have access to the Star Alliance Premium Customer Database to confirm status if they are worried ? I assume it contains *G, although I have no idea how accurate it is.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Did this at AC check in at LAX T2 in June. I had our TK *G in the system but found out that we'll get more miles with UA S (we have already re-qualified so no need for more miles in TK). Check-in agent couldn't do it, and not the MLL at LAX. I called AC CS and there was a 2 hours wait.

I gave up, and did it as soon as I'm at YYZ (the first leg is not a big problem since UA gives 0 anyway). The check-in agent was shocked that LAX couldn't do anything and he said that AC has stopped this act because of 'fraud'. I explained to him and he said the system didn't allow him to do so. He said my best shot was to do retro-claim. So I told him to delete all the TK FFP on our BPs if it's possible. Fortunately it was possible, then I said could you please try to see if you can now put in our UA # in and it worked!

Really?? I just did this at YYZ,YYC, and YVR on June 21st and 22nd! The YYZ was done at checkin, with baggage perks intact, YYC was at gate, where i met one of the NICEST GA EVER! She was so cheery(even when I was really nervous having just gotten off my delayed YYZ-YYC flight) as soon as I got to the gate(right next to the arrival gate), she changed and said the aircraft hadnt arrived yet, and to go to the MLL! The YVR GA just changed it, scanned my BP and told me to board before the J Class announcement was even broadcasted! And I wasnt an AC elite!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Really?? I just did this at YYZ,YYC, and YVR on June 21st and 22nd! The YYZ was done at checkin, with baggage perks intact, YYC was at gate, where i met one of the NICEST GA EVER! She was so cheery(even when I was really nervous having just gotten off my delayed YYZ-YYC flight) as soon as I got to the gate(right next to the arrival gate), she changed and said the aircraft hadnt arrived yet, and to go to the MLL! The YVR GA just changed it, scanned my BP and told me to board before the J Class announcement was even broadcasted! And I wasnt an AC elite!
I did it on landside at YYZ, June 10. There wasn't any AC ticketing office so I had to do it at the ticketing counter. I wanted to get it sorted because we were going out to the falls, so we don't want to risk anything.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
NOTE: Remember that using your A3 card for lounge access results in Aegean being billed for your entry. The only exception to this is if you enter via class of service (i.e. Business Class) in which the operating carrier pays.

Switching to another FFP hurts the program in the long run as A3 doesn't get any mile revenue.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by tkyoshi
NOTE: Remember that using your A3 card for lounge access results in Aegean being billed for your entry.
According to Star Alliance rules, operating carrier pays for your status benefits, including lounge access. In that case A3 only confirms your entitlement to *G level privileges.

That's why Tante Lufti and other big players don't love Aegean and its low *Gold level requirements !

So, take that easy !
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by szczurwa
According to Star Alliance rules, operating carrier pays for your status benefits, including lounge access. In that case A3 only confirms your entitlement to *G level privileges.

That's why Tante Lufti and other big players don't love Aegean and its low *Gold level requirements !

So, take that easy !
do a match then use the matching gold for privilege
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by szczurwa

So, take that easy !
That's what was originally thought but was clarified by the AC folks on how billing actually works in *A. I'm trying to make sure people are aware of the consequences of doing this, you can't really have your cake and eat it too

Basically:
Business / First (COS) = Operating Carrier Pays
Economy = Frequent Flyer Program

That's why AC doesn't overly care if A3 people use MLLs as they get paid in full for the entry. Same as an AC Elite member entering say a United Lounge, AC actually foots the bill for the entry.

For More Info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23017343-post128.html

Last edited by tkyoshi; Jul 16, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.