Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Adforce advertising crippling FlyerTalk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 1999, 1:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I've notice recently that accessing FlyerTalk is talking much longer than it used to. I didn't realize it at first, but it appears to be some ad agency connection that displays the little adverts throughout Flyertalk that is causing the problems

I don't mind the adverts, but it now takes anywhere from 15-90 seconds, to load FlyerTalk pages. The screen just stays blank while the status line displays:

Looking up host: adforce.imgis.com or
Looking up host: ad.preferences.com.

It's quite annoying, and making FlyerTalk unusable. I tried setting my AtGuard to block adforce, but they've cleverly figured out how to defeat such utilities.

However, I have discovered that if I hit the [Esc] key as soon as I see the adforce messages, the FlyerTalk screens pop up, without the advertisments.
Old Dec 23, 1999, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too just started to have problems. Speed and connects ok until this am using Win98, Opera browser and Atguard. Turned Atguard off but still problems. Switched to IE5.01 and finally connected v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. Opera doesn't do javascipt so that may be a clue to erratic behavior. Currently Opera w/o Atguard is working. No "adforce" messages ever appear.

Still it wastes my time and tries my patience. All web other sites seem OK. Webflyer is OK, problems exist when I click on the Bulletin Board tab. Blah!!!

Old Dec 23, 1999, 2:29 pm

I have the bulletin board bookmarked, and so do not enter via Webflyer's home page. So far I've found that without using ad blocking software the BB loads as quickly as any other web page, sometimes faster.
Old Dec 23, 1999, 3:01 pm
Original Member

Same for me. I have it bookmarked and the speed is the same it's always been.
Old Dec 23, 1999, 3:46 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I have to say today is ALOT better than recently... it was so bad last night and the day before.. I would do other things while the page loaded..
Old Dec 23, 1999, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am in the Internet ad business and I think the sloooooowwww response was due to the Flyertalk web server having problems or some problem on that end, and not the ads.

The transfer rate for the pages was very slow, having nothing to do with the ads.

I am glad that it has gotten speedy again today.
Old Dec 23, 1999, 5:28 pm
dg1

I have noticed (though it has passed today) the same behavior as the original poster, and those times it is obvious that the ad server is holding up the rest of the page loading.

<shrug> If it keeps happening, I'll just have to use the junkbuster filter... But as of yet the ads here are not too intrusive (and at least for me they are most often USAirways, who does not need to advertise to me --> probably some of that targeted thingies they talk about. I should erase my cookies and see what I get)
Old Dec 23, 1999, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
I've found that if I use IE 5 sometimes i can't get the site to load at all. If I use an older version or Navigator It loads fine. Still haven't figured out what's going on.
Old Dec 23, 1999, 8:57 pm
Original Member

I use junkbusters, www.junkbusters.com
to filter out ads.

It's a very simply proxy server the allows use to choose what sites to block.
I block out about 98% of the banner ads from
sites that way.
Old Dec 23, 1999, 9:55 pm
Original Member

junkbusters great site Thanks Boomer. Lots and lots of great advise and help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.