Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Hotel (and airline) amenities do you leave behind, if any?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2001, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,

Do you take everything?
Do you leave behind anything because you have collected to many already, or just don't want it?
Do you even take the Do Not Distrub signs for your guestrooms?

Etc, Etc!
Old Feb 11, 2001, 3:22 am

I hardly ever take anything. I always make sure to take the mini-toothbrushes CX, as well as many other airlines offers in their onboard kits though... can't have enough of these.

The only things I've ever stolen from a hotel was two bath robes and corkscrew when my wife and I stayed at the Peninsula in Hong Kong last March. Gonna get two more this March. They're so nice!

------------------
preez mine da pratform gahp.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
Originally posted by ChuckDEE:
The only things I've ever stolen from a hotel was two bath robes....
I've always been afraid to do that. I thought for sure they'd stick a charge on your bill for some absurd amount of money.

I used to take the little bottles of shampoo etc, but now have too many at home. The thinking was that guests would use them when they stayed over, but I've come to realize they just use the regular size bottles already in my shower.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 9:17 am

Russ, you can donate all those little bottles to a food bank or shelter. They will be most welcome.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 9:28 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
After giving away about 100 of the business class/first class amenity kits to charity, I have stopped collecting them (at least on my outbound flights where I don't want to cart around the amenity kit throughout my trip). How many toothbrushes and eye shades can somebody really need?

Though they do make great party gifts.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 9:56 am
GG

Perhaps the Peninsula has a different standard of guest amenity... from all I've heard about it, I really want to stay there sometime!

Usually take:
the shampoo (always handy for hotel room laundry);
nice soaps, like the specialty spa ones at the Ihilani;
bath gel if it's provided; and mouthwash.

Occasionally take:
cotton balls/Q-tip packs;
shoeshine cloths;
sewing kits;
pens. Our collection of Marriott pens is large, and we do like to get the non-generic pens if we don't already have them. Sometimes we swap with servers in hotel restaurants - a few of them collect pens too.

Never take:
the "conditioner" ;
the lotion - I have my favorite skin cream and use nothing else.

I like the current airline amenity bags Delta has, crushable, with zippers. We don't fly International that often, so I've generally kept the bags. I use the eyeshades everywhere, and the earplugs when I can't find my own.

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old Feb 11, 2001, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I never take the shower caps or shoeshine cloth -- does anybody use these anymore?

I do take the shampoo and conditioner, but NOT if they have one of those awful combination shampoo/conditioner products that doesn't do either funtion well. We must have our standards, right? Even if something is free...

(In retrospect, after reading one of the posts above, maybe I'll take all of the shampoo and conditioner products from now on for donation to my local shelter. Thanks for the idea.)

Those little sewing kits are my favorite "souvenir". They're great for travel, work, home, everywhere.

[This message has been edited by Westcoaster (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old Feb 11, 2001, 11:41 am
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
I always take the shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soaps to a shelter where they help battered women and children. Since it is a transitional home, they love to have the small portions because the people are only there a few days.

Old Feb 11, 2001, 3:35 pm

Originally posted by Westcoaster:
I never take the shower caps or shoeshine cloth -- does anybody use these anymore?
I don't take the shower cap either. I do take the shoeshine cloth for my son. It's perfect for his Jr ROTC uniform days. He can buff up before inspection and throw the cloth away.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I always take my business class amenity kit...I don't fly that often, so when it's time to upgrade my Earthquake kit, I just take out the old airline kit and put in two new ones.
From hotels, I only take the soap I've already used (if I like the scent, that is). I have my favorite shampoo I travel with, so I don't even use their shampoos and certainly don't want to take them home.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Since the hippie 1970's, most of the soaps are scentless due to supposed allergies to perfumes. I always wonder what happens to those little bars of slightly used soap. After Using the Bath size soap, I take it along in my kit. I believe I am getting extra points in heaven for not being wastefull and enviornmentaly prudent.

Unfortunately, a lot of the shampoo and conditioners are industrial strength and leave you with the frizzies!

------------------
It is never too late to have a HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

BEEP! BEEP!
Old Feb 11, 2001, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of Feb 1st, Delta gives Aluminum boxes with different historical plane motifs. I mostly leave the socks, I always find uses for the bags (computer cables, screws and nails, medicine, etc.).
Old Feb 11, 2001, 6:46 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
It's interesting to read all the responses to this post, and yet not one person has said that stealing bathrobes from a hotel is just plain wrong. Consumables such as shampoo and toothbrushes are meant, in my opinion, to be part of the room fee. Do people assume that the bathrobes are part of the room fee too? If so, then perhaps it is not stealing. any hotel people out there care to comment? Perhaps I'm just being too critical, in which case I apologize.
Old Feb 11, 2001, 7:06 pm

Stealing bathrobes is wrong. Your room fee does include the free stuff, because the hotel will just throw that away. The robes are big ticket items, and the hotel will charge you if you take them (Usually, 50-100 bucks each) http://www.westin-hotelsathome.com/ lists them at 75.

Have a good day
Old Feb 11, 2001, 7:12 pm

wife and I have been collection all the hotel
bath stuff and every few months like a few above give them to the city mision and it is
very well received , along with what ever else we include in the package

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.